Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Southern Pyranees, which bike?
  • minordelay
    Free Member

Hi

Off to Argeles sur mer not far from Perpignan next week. Can’t decide to take my MTB or Road bike and wondered if anyone on here had been down that way.

Cheers in advance.

Nige

Edukator
    Free Member

Take both, there are lots of good MTB trails though many of the stoney variety and some cols to ride up on the roadie. If you only take one take the MTB with a set of slick tyres to put on.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I don’t know that area particularly well. Off road trails in France can be a pain to link up – guiding gets you to the best stuff. Road riding in france is a real pleasure.

Personally, unless I’d got some good routes in advance or some guiding, and I could only take one bike, I’d take the road bike.

Edukator
    Free Member

Routes in advance.

Between some ideas from the above and an IGN map we had no trouble linking as many kms as our legs could cope with.

piemonster

Edukator has it, don’t know that area but there’s loads of pre existing VTT routes throughout the Pyrenees.

Usually waymarked IME with daubs of paint.

ocrider

MTB

Theres loads of stuff to be had starting out from the carpark at chateau de Valmy and the trail fairies are known to be quite active in the Alberes too.

There are enough gpx’s on vttrack.fr to keep you busy and to help you find some of the more elusive stuff.

mogrim

If you like road and mtb equally, I’d go with road – much easier to link up routes and you can get further.

ianv
    Free Member

Argeles sur mer is apparently really good for mountain biking. The guy at the bike shop in Perpignan told me it was ace, and all his other suggestions were spot on. Inland there is loads along the tet valley towards prades. I would take the Mtb, unless you have an aversion for rocky trails.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

misread this completely – thought you were right on the coast rather than up in the mountains. either’s going to be good.

minordelay
    Free Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I have something to go on no,w after watching the tour I’m tempted by the road and heading up to Mt Canigou for a pedal. We are only in the area for a week before heading over to the Atlantic coast for a 2nd week.

Also I have to keep the other half happy.

Nigel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Southern Pyranees, which bike?’ is closed to new replies.