Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Southern Lakes routes – what's good?
  • timnwild

Off to Grange over Sands in Oct, so we’re near Grizedale/bottom of Coniston, but what are the other must-do routes nearby?

Ta

marvincooper

I’m off to Grange next week so interested in this too. Anything suitable for minicooper – that is, my 6 year old? He’s used to a few bumps and rocks but nothing too gnarly

lister

marvincooper:
    We were up at Cartmel at easter. Mrs Lister hurt her knee so couldn’t ride but did ‘shuttle’ runs for me and the kids at Grizedale.
    Dropped us at the top of the hill on the way to Hawkshead and drove back down for coffee at the centre, we did the little blue loop then down the main track to the visitor centre. It’s mostly downhill and Hazel (4.5 yrs) did it twice…she probably rode about 12k that day on her Cnoc 16.
    All forest tracks, but good fun for the kids.

andylakes
    iain65
    Free Member

Walna Scar road from the Duddon valley side, great fun, lots of good trails to link them. Let me know if you need a gpx.
    Iain

goyawave
    Free Member

I did this last week starting from High Cross, Grizedale. But from where you are, you could start from the bottom of nibthwaite with a long road climb!

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/grizedale-parkamoor/

Anyone know a good Ulverston route? That maybe nearer for you.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Good routes around Ulverston are pretty much non-existant. There are a couple of bridleways, but they are generally little used and invisible on the ground/overgrown/knackered by farmers. The best close-by option is Blawith Common, Grizedale and the Duddon.

marvincooper

Thanks chaps, Grizedale sounds ideal for my lad, and I’ll try to do one of the longer routes myself if I get a chance (and if I have the legs after doing the Fred Whitton next Sunday!)

chakaping
    Free Member

Black Combe is worth riding.

It’s just a straight up and down a hill, but you get a long uninterrupted descent and it’s fast and fun.

Look, here’s a vid of someone doing it I found on YT…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC2rcrWFklw[/video]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Southern Lakes routes – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.