Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • South Wales Night Riding – Trail Suggestions?
  • psychotext
    Free Member

I recently got back into mountain biking and I’ve found that the only way I’m going to be able to get any riding in this winter is if I switch to riding at night / evenings as my weekends are screwed.

Are there any recommended places to go in South Wales for night riding? I did Derwen last week and enjoyed that, but it’s a bit far to be driving to do it regularly… unless I want to get another job to pay for more petrol!

Ideally I’d rather not do the super technical stuff at night, so blacks are pretty much out, but I should be Ok for anything else as long as they’re not too hardcore.

I’m thinking of trying some of the Afan stuff as well as Twrch Trail at Cwmcarn and I’d welcome any other suggestions.

coatesy
    Free Member

We generally ride the same trails that we use in daylight.I’m always a bit concerned about leaving vehicles in trail centre car parks at night, having heard plenty of stories of break-ins at Cwmcarn and Glyncorrwg. Not sure where you’r from, but Cardiff has quite an active scene in the surrounding hills(if you can put up with passing numerous doggers)if you’re prepared to search out some of the organised groups.

creamegg
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? Thought about riding with a club? There are a few near Cwmcarn… Castle bikes, half way up, muddy bums. Theyll show you round all the local natural trails. I ride the same stuff at night as i would do in the day

davidjey
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? Thought about riding with a club?

+1. The night ride ‘community’ around Caerphilly/Cardiff is good. Plenty of natural trails, not all of which are a complete mudfest…

SaxonRider

If you’re in Cardiff, there was a group of people, frequenters of the Bike Shed, that rode every Wednesday night that would meet at the Lewis Arms. They were a very friendly and welcoming bunch. You might try popping ’round there and asking if the Wednesday Night Ride still goes.

Twin
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a ride in the Blackwood/Cwmcarn/Caerphilly area, get in touch with halfwayupmtb(.com), a local club. There are groups out most evenings through the week and would be happy for you to join them. Cwmcarn is a pretty safe bet, It’s fairly busy in the evenings as long as you don’t start too late so you won’t be completely alone. Use the visitor centre car park (the tarmac one), you won’t need to pay after 5.30 and you won’t get locked in. There’s also street lighting there for security, you hear all sorts of horror stories on here about thefts etc but I’ve been using the place for ten years and never had/never heard of any problems.

psychotext
    Free Member

Cheers. To be honest I’ve avoided clubs so far because, well, I’m a bit crap. As for location, pretty much anywhere from the Severn Bridge to Brecon to Neath is probably fine. Much further out and it’ll take too long and cost too much.

Muddybum bikes is my local shop and I know they started doing a Thursday night ride but I’ve not had a chance to try it out yet. Apparently Castell Coch is pretty good for cheeky trails but it gets busy on the weekends and I’ve been avoiding picking my way down what could very well be flat out DH sections. 😀

Also, dogger amusement sounds like a bonus. \o/

greeble
    Free Member

Cwmcarn backwards at night is a hoot

davidjey
    Free Member

Muddybum bikes is my local shop

Assume you are Rhiwbina/N Cardiff then? No need to get in the car, all the night riding you need is on your doorstep! Throw a brick outside the Lewis Arms in Tongwynlais on any weeknight and you’ll hit a group of MTBers 😉

I’m out once or twice a week on the MTB and happy to show you round – I ride with Ajax and there’s a bunch of us meet (ir)regularly in the week. Don’t worry about crap, that ride is very mixed ability (and features roadies learning to ride offroad, in the dark, with predictable results). Drop me an email (in profile) if you like.

fandango
    Free Member

As above, plenty of riding where you are. Pick up an OS map and head off on the Ridgeway towards Rudry or muck about above Castell Coch. If taking the car, I’d suggest parking in a well lit area and avoid switching on the car’s interior light…

psychotext
    Free Member

It’s odd, I’ve never really done any significant amount of riding in Cardiff. I’ve always spent most of my time in the Brecon Beacons.

sideshow
    Free Member

Wed night from the Lewis in Tongwynlais is still going, 7.30pm usually or a little after. It can go through erratic phases though, if you want to be sure pop into the Bike Shed and get a phone number from one of the regulars. *Loads* of trails in the area. Don’t worry about ability, group standards vary from week to week and that’s the nature of it – sometimes quite a hardcore ride – other times not at all.

thewalker
    Free Member

cwmcarn is fairly safe cameras in all car parks, machen is also good for night rides, greeble dont you think thats irresponsible bordering on stupid doing it backwards

sideshow
    Free Member

Not really, you see people’s lights coming from a long way off and the trails are pretty empty at night anyway.

I once did the main climb as a descent, didn’t think it was up to much though – better the way it was designed to roll.

sideshow
    Free Member

+1 for Machen mountain though, if you fancy an evening mission you can lap it from Cardiff (via Rudry & Sirhowy Valley Country Park). That said it would be better to get familiar with all those areas in the daylight first.

greeble
    Free Member

greeble dont you think thats irresponsible bordering on stupid doing it backwards

Not really, you see people’s lights coming from a long way off and the trails are pretty empty at night anyway.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RATEoDH9WiY[/video]

psychotext
    Free Member

Have never been to Sirhowy Valley Country Park. Should be worth a look. 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have ridden cwn carne a fair bit at night and never had an issue with the cars/ vans

ctk
    Free Member

Pop in to Muddybums, very nice local lads- they’ll sort you out with some trail ideas. There are rides you can do at the top of Rhiwbina hill.

wookie
    Free Member

We ride local to Cardiff most Tuesday nights for a couple of hours and your welcome to join us. Pace is set at the slowest rider (within reason) and is pretty relaxed.

The rides are posted on http://www.halfwayupmtb.co.uk but you don’t have to be a member to come along (obviously welcome to join the club as well though).

Next ride is posted for Tuesday night (12th Nov).

Home

A minimum level of fitness and ability would be preferred for this ride. If you are a novice and would like to join us let me know. Im more than happy to post a separate ride (evenings and weekends) to cater for different groups.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or send me a PM via the HWU website.

Steve

psychotext
    Free Member

Did Garw Valley in the daytime today, reckon the blue is probably a good contender for a night loop. Don’t really know how “safe” the area is though.

booktownman
    Free Member

Regular night rides go out from Bikes and Hikes shop in Brecon – every Weds. Check their Facebook page for deets. If you’re around hay on wye area we go out Weds nights as well. There’s usually some info on the Velo Hay Facebook page.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t need to drive anywhere if you live in Cardiff. If you’re time pushed then definitely don’t. I live here, I leave the house for two hours and get two hours of riding in. Hardly ever see anyone else either!

psychotext
    Free Member

Where do you go molgrips?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘South Wales Night Riding – Trail Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.