South Manchester Vs Hampshire

Home Forum Bike Forum South Manchester Vs Hampshire

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • South Manchester Vs Hampshire
  • scaled

Where would win in a mountain biking fight?

Manchester Pros:
    30 mins from Marple
    60 mins from proper peak district
    90 mins from Llandegla
    Rocks
    Hills

Cons:
    F’all on the doorstep
    the doorstep is very flat

Hampshire Pros:
    Rogate/QECP both within riding distance – i quite fancy a bit of a dig too.
    Riding from the doorstep
    Trees
    More places to ride
    in the South downs park

cons:
    No rocks ๐Ÿ™

Looking at the move and i keep thinking that i’ll really regret leaving the peak district behind

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

You even need to ask? ๐Ÿ˜‰

You know you want to ride my trails again and trust me I can show you rocks, not lots but enough to make it interesting!

You down visiting at christmas?

juan

In the con’s of manchester you forgot to say : football

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Heavyweights don’t fight flyweights in the martial arts. It is not allowed.

Premier Icon oldagedpredator
    Subscriber

You are actually allowed to go north of Manchester. They say its the North but its really code for not the Midlands, the land continues beyond to – West Pennine Moors, Bowland and Gisburn Forest, Southern Yorkshire Dales, South Pennines…

julians

Dont know hampshire from a mountain biking point of view, but its not reknowned for its hilly terrain.

Its got to be hard to beat manchester as a well located place for easy access to good mountain biking.

– Peaks less than an hour away
    – lakes less than 2 hours away
    – several good trail centres between 1 and 2 hours away.
    – scotland nearer to manchester than hampshire

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

You’ll be closer to Hora, thus a cheap and plentiful supply of nearly-new frames….

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Its all cr@p down here. South downs is all chalky and the North Downs is full to overflowing and not very good or hilly either.

The North is apparently much better, stay put.

Premier Icon justinbieber
    Subscriber

From Manchester you’re less than 2 hrs from the Lake District. Absolute no brainer.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Is this a trick question?

scaled

I should have pointed out that with a young family I don’t get out that often, and when i do it’s only for a few hours so an hours drive == an hours less riding time :/

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

an hours drive == an hours less riding time ๐Ÿ˜•

Buy a roadbike and stay put then?

8)

eightyeight

+1 for Manchester.

I’m originally from the South West (which probably puts up a better fight than Hampshire), but Manchester wins out on variety – the peaks, lakes, Bowland, N. Wales etc.

Though you’d be absolutely screwed without a car IMO (v. frustrating when I first moved up).

Oh, and a quick ‘big up’ (or similarly contemporary call of encouragement and thanks) to the guys at Gisburn. Some lovely lines being built at the moment ๐Ÿ˜€

nbt

don’t live in South Manchester then. You work in That Manchester, move to Marple and get the train to and from work, then you can ride from your front door

eightyeight

nbt, quite right. My unreserved apologies.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Hampshire has a world-famous chalk stream. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon beaker
    Subscriber

I lived in Hampshire. As much as it pains me to say it, I’d sooner live up north if it was purely a cycling decision.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Main difference would be about 3-4 degrees celcius more on average and about 2 inches less rain (each day)

That said, I’d rather live in the north but my family/life is in hampshire for now at least

Premier Icon vinnyeh
    Subscriber

Hampshire Pros:

Riding from the doorstep

If you’re really pushed for time, this is pretty much the top trump.
    Plenty of top riding within an hours drive as well.

bikebouy

I live in Hants.

It’s obviously exceptional because of the fact that I live here.

Ok, so far as mtb’ ing goes think of it more like a big XC type environment. Ok we have lots of forests and woods and cheaky singletrack, and the Downs are on our doorstep, but…. Hilly it ain’t. The Downs are lovely, no doubt about that, few bridle ways cross them (SDW excluded) so you have to join up cheaky trails to bridle ways and so on. It also gets busy in the forests, new or old “cough” and there are places I don’t go because of it. QEP is a really nice place but when you’ve ridden it 10 times its, well, a bit meh. Then you have the parks over Chichester way and again some you can ride in some you can’t.
    If its riding from your doorstep you want then you can do that from any location, I do it, link 4-5hr rides off road no problem, but really it’s quite flat rolling hills.
    Beautiful tho.
    Really beautiful down here.

Don’t know what you riding places are like, but think, from what you’ve said, it’s similar, so maybe it could work for you.

Righty ho, clubs, best off joining one when you’re here so Fareham Wheelers is a good place as any, Palky rides out with groups of 20odd and Tues/Thurs/Sun, great bunch, perhaps you could arrange a trip out with them to get a feel for the place. Then there’s the Lordswood lot…and Muddy Moles over Chichester/Havant way..

And so on.

You don’t need any bike over 120mm FS here, most ride HT’s with 100mm or SS29er rigids which kinda gives you an idea of the terrain.

BOL

Premier Icon abatty
    Subscriber

Fewer thieving scumbags down here…[and that’s a Northener speaking]

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

May I politely point out that the highest hill in Hampshire is a lofty 286 metres?

๐Ÿ™‚

Hampshire, without a doubt. The beer’s better.

scaled

And Scott, the trails were great! If a bit sandy, the fact you were on a rigid single speed and I had 6 inches of travel says it all…

All good fun though. Won’t be down at Christmas, they’re all coming up here.

dobo

not sure what the race scene is like near manchester but you got gorrick and southern xc events and many more besides. think we are fairly well catered for in that area? within 1hr of hampshire

Duggan

Technically speaking, both your cons for Manchester are the same

souldrummer

Of the two I would say Hampshire. But I live in Surrey and work in Hampshire so might be a bit biased. I have been to Manchester btw!!!

allthepies

trailbreak-martin wrote:

+1

Premier Icon funkrodent
    Subscriber

I live in South Mcr and have to admit that the flatness is a pain. That said North Manchester is a mere 20mins by bike and there’s some big enough hills there for a good pootle. Then you have North Wales, Peaks, Pennines, Lakes, Gisburn etc etc etc all within 1-2 hours. No contest really.
    Oh, and +1 for the move to Marple comment. Great area, good schools etc and fantastic riding on your doorstep. What’s not to like? Never been to Hampshire so v. one-sided opinion in truth, but as far as I can see Manchester must be one of the best located places in the world for the sheer variety of quality riding that’s available…

johnj2000

I live in deepest darkest Hampshire and yearn for my home town in the lakes at times. However I have the coast 15 mins bike ride from my front door, I have e South Downs 30 mins drive and QECP to play with when I want to. Also have the trail ride series down here which I tried out for the first time on sat which opened up more trails to me in Newbury. Its nice down here, when I have to move I will be gutted but the only place I will go if I do move is the North.

Premier Icon oldagedpredator
    Subscriber

That’s not difficult as there is no such thing as a good pint of Robinsons.

matt1986

British Cycling and Spirt England are creating and managing 15km of trails at a sort of mini trail centre with a pump tract and jumps at clayton vale about 10 mins from manc city centre next to the velodrome. Also I’m in Denton and hope in the peaks is in a car 15 mins from my door step and there is loads round there like Jacobs ladder. I think manc is pretty good place for mountain biking

nbt

Oldagedpredator wrote:

<snip>there is no such thing as a good pint of Robinsons.

Oh I don’t know. the mild is a very nice pint, especially when serves by certain bar staff in my local after a night ride eh Scaled?

cheekyboy

Hampshire > Portsmouth the geographical equivalent to the anal cavity.

brooess

I grew up in Cheshire and moved down South 20 years ago. Moved back to Manchester a couple of years ago and whilst the riding in the North West is great, the weather is frankly dire in comparison. Luckily I lost my job and came back down to London.
    Once you’re used to Southern sunshine it’s hard to accept anything else if you like being outdoors IMO

rusty trowel

Hampshire’s great because its my home county. I now however live in Dorset which is better for riding and has a better seaside : )

Manchester is miles away, cold and rainy so unless you have family and friends keeping you there, come on down and dont forget to bring your sunglasses and suntan lotion ; )

bspoked

If it is.taking you 90 mins to get from south Manchester to Degla, then you are going the wrong way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘South Manchester Vs Hampshire’ is closed to new replies.