Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • South Manchester MTB route advice
  • stcolin
    Free Member

Hi all,

I am looking to put together a couple of fairly big MTB routes together starting at home (40-50miles max). My aim is to head out towards Marple, do a loop around there and head back. I’m leaving from Chorlton/Didsbury area. I know I can follow the Mersey along to Stockport, but after that I’m pretty lost. Does anyone here know that area and can give me some route advice?

Sorry, I know it’s a short in the dark!

Col

geomickb
    Free Member

Maybe you could use some of The Cheshire Ring?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/planning-your-boat-trip/cruising-rings/cheshire-ring

Not exactly MTBing but sounds like you just want to get some miles in?

Maybe use it to get to Macc Forest? Then you can get out to 3 Shires, Cat and Fiddle?

Mick

nbt

I’ll knock up a route in GPS for you in a sec

dazh

From Stockport head out towards Bredbury on the road (you can go under the big motorway roundabout on the cycle path), turn right onto Osborne St at Lower Bredbury and then follow the bridleway (scally alley on strava) past Bredbury Hall and Goyt Hall to Chadkirk. Cross the road and go up Vale Road to join the Peak Forest canal, which you can then follow all the way to Marple.

nbt

Here you go – assuming you can get to the big tesco you should be ok

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34647975

Through Reddish vale and the tunnel, drop down to go under the M60 towards Pear Mill, then along Dark Lane to Chadkirk and up to Marple

There’s a new bridge from near the Bredbury Hall Hotel at the start of Dark Lane into Woodback / Vernon Park somwehere too for an alternative route, and there used to be anice little jump spot at the bottom of Wodback Park near the Jim Fearnley Bridge about half way down Dark Lane

another alternative is to follow the Trans Pennine Trail through to Hyde then head up Werneth Low and drop into Compstall, then through Brabyn’s Park to get to Marple Bridge or up to the canal

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Yes, this is just to get myself out and do some miles.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi
    I did a nice route up Jacobs ladder in LD1.0 which was o k, but lots of road miles.

Also did a mething very similar to what you suggest along the Mersey. The Mersey bit was pure purgatory due to mud. Utterly awful. Been back since and it was great, so pick your day.

The other good option to get the miles in is Lauren’s Ride which goes on two loops into Cheshire to the south of you. It’s mainly quiet lanes and easy bridleways. Nearly all signposted but not all.

Let me know if you’re wanting someone else to ride with.

thegeneralist
    Free Member
    Duggan

Its been years since I’ve been mountain biking but I’m fairly sure you can go from Jacobs Ladder all the way back to South Manchester whilst barely ever cycling on a road at all, I’m sure I did this at least once but can’t remember the exact details, for sure it can be done though.

I think it probably involved the Peak Forest canal, Reddish Vale and the Mersey river heading back to Manchester once you are clear of Marple.

I have an OS map somewhere with highlighted marker on the route which tells you how long ago it was.

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone. Definitely have enough info to put together a couple of route. Yea, Mersey can be hit and miss with conditions.

crazy-legs

Thanks again everyone. Definitely have enough info to put together a couple of route. Yea, Mersey can be hit and miss with conditions.

Same with the canals.
    It is possible to do what @Duggan suggested and you can ride from Marple right into central Manchester (or vice versa) on canal towpath alone (or do as @NBT suggested and use the Reddish Vale / Brinnington Tunnel options which makes more sense if coming from Didsbury) but they can be very gritty/muddy in wet weather.

Another option worth investigating, depending on the public transport situation is to get the train out to the Peak District and then ride home from there – that way at least you get some of the proper hills in while you’re fresh and then it’s just a case of working your way back in getting more towpath as you go.

stcolin
    Free Member

So I got the ride done yesterday. Worked out really well with only the odd wrong turn. Paths out to Marple were fairly quiet in the morning but it was like a summers day on the way home. It was 41 miles in total, although I’m sure I could increase the loop around Marple if I wanted. It was a really wet day. The rain stayed away but the ground was soaked.

Thanks again to everyone who posted. I almost called it off but glad I made it out in the end.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘South Manchester MTB route advice’ is closed to new replies.