South London – where best to live?

Home Forum Chat Forum South London – where best to live?

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • South London – where best to live?
  • Saaaaarf London????? 😯

(Is too disgusted to speak)

You’re best off asking the Count of Croydon, the Right Orrible Ernest Lynch. He knows about Saaaarf London stuffs.

Not Sydenham. Sydenham is boring.

South of the Most?

Are you mad?

grantway

Guildford would suit you better or anywhere near there.
    Can also try Dorking has its a proper town and lively.
    But do check you can get a fast train into London that doesn’t stop at every station

brooess

I don’t want to be too far out – still young enough to enjoy city life 🙂

And yes Sydenham not for me. Nor Croydon 😉
    And yes South. You either a north of the river person or south. I’d feel like I was in a foreign city if I lived north of the river!

Jujuuk68

Reigate/Redhill ?

Its about 14-18m fast from East Croydon, and only another 20m to London Bridge. (So closer to Londinium than Guildford/Dorking) But its the other side of m25, its a bit posh, its got great places to eat, and countryside within literally minutes cycle. You can cycle to Dorking/Box Hill off road from there via Reigate Hill.

From Redhill Station, you can get east/west to Guildford/T Wells, as well as fast north/south to Brighton or London, and as its a touch chavvy, cheaper than Reigate/Dorking/Guildford.

OFC if you want bars/clubs late night curries and London Living, then look further up the line. Coulsden is the last stop on the Nightbus.

Top of the list at the moment is Carshalton …… Addiscombe are only 5 miles away for club rides and I reckon more like 45 mins to Holmbury

Carshalton is luverly imo, although not as handy as Croydon – nicer though.

And yes, you’ll be in easy reach of Addiscombe CC. We were on the South Downs Way today (**** me it was windy) we took a train from East Croydon and we were in Lewes in 45 mins. ……we rode the section to Eastbourne.

You also have Redhill CC not too far away, they are smaller but have more regular off-road rides. Addiscombe CC club runs are better imo though – bigger and therefore with a greater selection of speeds. Coulsdon South train station sats @ 9 am. I’m guessing you’re also a roadie if you’ve gone out with Dulwich Paragon.

brooess

I’ve lived in London for 10 years so know it well. Moved to Manchester last year but after my job fell through I’m back to London in the next few months.
    I prefer South London to North, have lived all over, Brixton, Camberwell, West Norwood, East Dulwich.
    E Dulwich was def my favourite place of them all, with Dulwich Paragon being a big plus. But it’s v expensive and I’m hoping to buy a flat some point in the next year. + it took an hour fifteen to get to Surrey Hills.
    So I’m looking at moving further out – closer to country lanes for road riding and get a shorter drive to Holmbury. + hopefully lower crime and nicer local area than you get closer to town.
    Top of the list at the moment is Carshalton – it’s only 40 mins into town and flat prices look reasonable and from a friend who used to live there it’s a nice area. Addiscombe are only 5 miles away for club rides and I reckon more like 45 mins to Holmbury
    Anywhere else similar worth thinking about?
    Anywhere

Jeez, I’m agreeing with Fred 🙄
    Ok, Guildford is really nice, very convenient train access to the civilisation, Surrey Hills on the doorstep, Kingston Uni female students near enough.

loddrik

For god sake don’t do it!! The wife is from Forest Hill and I’ve spent way more time there than I’d like, all of South London is horrendous. If I HAD to live in South London I’d say maybe Beckenham/Bromley/Chislehurst, but I’d definitely stay outside the M25, definitely…

I think we can safely ignore any ‘advice’ loddrik may offer.. 😀

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Another Dulwich person here. 🙂 Great area. Actually I’ve lived up North for the last 10 years… 😳

Guildford, Dorking, Reigate, Redhill are all nice but it’s still commuter belt central so the prices are high. You don’t have to go very far from Croydon town centre to be in what feels like a completely different world but still close to trains/buses (and trams if you’re fairly close to Croydon).

johnners

You should try to live on the outskirts. Start looking round about Somerset, any closer to the middle of London isn’t worth considering.

GJP

Have you thought about Epsom or are the property prices a tad on the high side? Close enough to cycle to the Surrey Hills for MTB and only a couple of miles from where the quieter surrey lanes start for road riding? 40 mins to Waterloo.

Surbiton.

Fast trains to Waterloo(20mins) on a regular basis, night bus service to Kingston which is 5 minutes away , flats are reasonable, Surrey hills 30 mins, road riding from your doorstep, Richmond park, Bushey park, River Thames etc etc all nearby. Lots to do and a nice little place.

I left Brixton (where I grew up) and moved to Surbiton and it was a good move.
    Epsom is OK I suppose but not as good as Surbiton IMHO.
    Best thing is it’s a long, long way from Croydon.

I’m just about to rent out a room in my house in East Croydon. Got many roadie friends who live in Dulwich but you can’t beat being 2 mins from the trails!

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Epsom, you can ride from your doorstep. Check out Diary of a Mountainbiker website

Epsom is OK I suppose but not as good as Surbiton IMHO.
    Best thing is it’s a long, long way from Croydon.

Do you know where Croydon or Epsom is ? I can drive to Epsom in about 20 mins. It’s not a long, long way. It’s not even a long way. It is in fact a short way – 10 miles.

Of course I do. Surbiton is a long way from Croydon is what I meant. Happily for the people of Epsom 10 miles is plenty…

Croydon —– Shudders
    Sorry E but it is a dreadful place…..

Surbiton is 12 miles from where I live in Croydon, I can get there in about 40 mins, I don’t call that a long, long way. You need to either move further away, or find out where Croydon is 💡

I used to commute to East Croydon from Surbiton by car 40 minutes was a very good day more like an hour maybe more even taking the back routes.

Croydon central is not great although bits of Purley, Sanderstead, Wallington, Cheam etc are okay ish…My view of Croydon is tainted by the fact I got stabbed there I expect….

brooess

I hadn’t thought of Surbiton – always figured W was going to be more pricey than S London.
    Carshalton also has the benefit of being on the line into Farringdon which is where the job I’m after is based…

Top of the list at the moment is Carshalton

Hey! I used to live in Carshalton! It is nice, but you probably get more for your money up the road in Sutton and the train connections are better. Only downside is that it’s not really London anymore. There are of course lots of towns between Carshalton and Croydon. Purley etc. Advantage of Croydon is the Clocktower. Good old decent pub. Guildford, Godalming, Pirbright but all more expensie

tom84

i live in camberwell and i totally love it, but i can see why people wouldn’t want to live in the peckham-camberwell-brixton triangle of awesomeness (i bet someone helpfully fixes that for me).

anyway i have friends (all professional) who are happy in nunhead, brockley, ladywell those areas, and further out i know 2 people who are settled in beckenham/clocktower area. I can vouch for the 07.04 train from clocktower to central via catford being not too bad, i used to take it everyday.

i had a feeliung that i had clocked a few stw types in dulwich. i also went out with dulwich paragon a fair bit a few years ago, quite serious guys. thursday chain gangs were killer!
    hope that helps

I hadn’t thought of Surbiton

Surbition was chosen as the setting for The Good Life for a reason – it represents the quintessential boring suburbia, hence the comic effect of suggesting subsistence living in such as a nondescript and characterless place.

Life’s more exciting in Stab City…….despite it being only 12 miles away.

Premier Icon allyharp
    Subscriber

All depends on what your priorities in life are.

As a member of this forum I’d suspect local biking is one of them, and Surbiton has something to offer there. For out-the-back-door convenience there’s Richmond Park or some nice stuff sections around Esher Common – which can be extended to an almost entirely off-road route into the Surrey Hills. Easy-going cycles along the river to Hampton Court or Richmond are also a nice social option.

On the flip-side if local nightlife is important, as Ernie has said, you might want to look elsewhere. But with trains to London in 20 mins, and a return train back again from Waterloo as late as 1:05 every night of the week I don’t find living there too socially prohibitive!

Surbiton has something to offer there. For out-the-back-door convenience there’s Richmond Park

You’re having a laugh…..right ? ……… Richmond Park? 😯

Croydon is on the foot of the North Downs. You’ve got single track stuff less than 10 mins bike ride from East Croydon station on Shirley/Addington Hills.

And all this stuff here is all less than 30 mins bike ride from E Croydon :

http://www.jbutler.org.uk/London/Croydon/Loop3.shtml

This is Croham Hurst Wood the site of a round barrow/Bronze Age burial ground at the top of my road (less than 10 mins bike ride from E Croydon) :

nickname

Beckenham / Bromley

40-50 min cycle commute into London
    20-30 min train commute into London

Nice parks, not too far from M25, lot’s of country lanes within reach for road riding down towards Farleigh and Warlingham.

TurnerGuy

Croydon is on the foot of the North Downs

that’s a big foot – bigger than sasquatch.

Redhill is on the foot of the North Downs, as is Reigate.

Reigate is no good as the train link to London is not fast, Redhill is better but not a great town and nowhere as nice as Reigate.

Ashtead is south of Epsom and would be be good for mtb access, although I am not sure what time the last train is – but I know of several people that commute to London from there.

Guildford is a nice town, although a little rough when the nightlife kicks in.

Woking has good train links, although the town isn’t as nice as Guildford and the trains are getting more packed ‘cos they keep building flats. 14 trains an hour to london in peak and they take 30 mins, and last one back is 01:05.

Woking links to the tunnel hill areas via 8 miles of canal towpath, is a 20 minute drive to Swinley, and is 30 mins from Surrey Hills. Road riding to Surrey Hills is ok as well I think.

Depends on the balance between nightlife and riding required, I suppose.

that’s a big foot – bigger than sasquatch.

Redhill is on the foot of the North Downs, as is Reigate.

Yes a fairly big foot – about 150 miles long in fact. How big’s sasquatch’s foot ? Both Redhill and Reigate are actually on the North Downs btw.

i have lived in croydon for the last 24 years (my whole life) i have never had a “bad experience” living here. but then again i was on my bike from the age of 14.

TBH there are better places to live south of the river. carshalton is a nice area. im not to sure how big your budget is but cousldon is a nice area as is bansted. get on the trails in 20 mins (holmbury) or you could ride there.

At the same time some mates of mine who live in Surbiton say it’s a nice place to come back to after a day’s work. If you want the night clubs etc. than Croydon must be pretty good, if, however, you want a quiet beer in your garden, local shops, cafes and some ski/bike/motorbike dealers you’ll find them in Surbiton. And riding in Richmond Park, whilst not as exciting as North Downs, is good if you want to get fit.
    I always liked it there.

TurnerGuy

Yes a fairly big foot – about 150 miles long in fact. How big’s sasquatch’s foot ? Both Redhill and Reigate are actually on the North Downs btw.

It may be 150 miles long but it still doesn’t get near Croydon.

Neither Redhill nor Reigate is actually on the North downs way – I would have noticed the houses and shops either side of the bridleway if they were.

TurnerGuy

banstead. get on the trails in 20 mins (holmbury)

You would pick up a fair few speeding tickets getting to Holmbury in 20 minutes from Banstead. But access to the North Downs is good and they obviously link down to the Surrey Hills, with Ranmore on the way.

It may be 150 miles long but it still doesn’t get near Croydon.

Someone else who hasn’t got a clue where Croydon is. Caterham, Woldingham, Tatsfield, and Biggin Hill are all on the North Downs. They are all also, about 30 mins bike ride from Central Croydon. Which means that Croydon is pretty damn close to the North Downs.

“Neither Redhill nor Reigate is actually on the North downs way”

Who said anything about “the North Downs Way” ? I said both Redhill and Reigate are on the North Downs, which they are. In the case of Redhill, there is even a clue in the name.

I have to say that I never cease to be amazed how people on here appear to be happy to argue the toss concerning almost anything. Still, if some people want redraw the topography of south east England to suit some bizarre agenda (maybe they think it puts Croydon in too favourable a light …… an intolerable situation for them perhaps ?) Maybe I should just let them carry on misleading people.

jhw

Sorry but is anyone else reading this entire thread thinking this is simply a list of the world’s worst places.

They’re all $hit. Epsom, Surbiton, Croydon, Carshalton. Burn them all!

brooess

I have to say that I never cease to be amazed how people on here appear to be happy to argue the toss concerning almost anything

I know this is OT but I was told once that some people leave the house angry and agressive and give them an opportunity to act on it, they’ll take it. The essential underpinning of any bullying behaviour…

Anyways, some good thoughts here. I think Carshalton probably fits all my needs the best overall. Looking forward to sunshine, dusty trails and not having to fight through a load of traffic to get out on my bike(s) 🙂

Mr Woppit

“Dulwich”…

But it’s v expensive and I’m hoping to buy a flat some point in the next year

I don’t think you’ll find it gets cheaper out this way! Leatherhead is nicely placed for road and rail connections London-wards and is right on the edge of the North Downs/Surrey hills, but cheap it ain’t.

I have to say that I never cease to be amazed how people on here appear to be happy to argue the toss concerning almost anything.

Earnest amazes himself, shocker. 😆 😆 😆

Yesterday, I went to Catford.

😐

Sorry but is anyone else reading this entire thread thinking this is simply a list of the world’s worst places.

Erm, no. I’d imagine the likes of Calcutta and Mogadishu to probbly be just a tad worse, tbh.

But maybe you’ve never bin anywhere remotely ‘edgy’.

Don’t ever go to Canning Town, whatever you do…. 😯

TurnerGuy

The north downs way follows the crest of the north downs, so pretty much defines where they are.

I lived in Reigate for many years, followed by Chipstead, so I know exactly where they are – and I know exactly where Croydon is (and why it is best to avoid it :-()

Depends where you want to ride I suppose but it is a 30 minute drive from Croydon to the the car park at the top of Reigate hill, which is a popular starting point.

I suppose it depends on how far north you think they extend as to whether they get near croydon, but I think you are pushing it quite a lot.

t is quite a long way south of croydon in

TurnerGuy

Funny place, Leatherhead, but you would be close to Headley which is a good place to ride from.

Muddy Moles meet at Brockets Farm on a Sunday, which is just down the road and makes a good starting point for a loop over to reigate, or for one down to Holmbury.

Tat Wink

As always depends where you live in Carshalton. It has one of the biggest estates in Europe, built after the war to re home all the central Londoners that had had their homes flattened.

My experience of Carshalton is that it’s best avoided. I now live in Reigate/Redhill and it’s a world away. Great for central London or the coast, Gatwick and the M25 on the doorstep. And of course the North Downs. I have a 3/4 mile of road before I hit the bridleways and believe me with some of the stunning scenery you could be in Wales, just ignore the rumble of the M25!!

I just can’t see me moving for a very long time!!!

Oh, yeh St Helier! Forgot all out that!! No, go live on Pound Street

rewski

Check out Purley, Riddlesdown, Fairleigh, Chelsham, Woldingham, Warlingham. Nice areas, great schools, great trains connections to London, Gatwick, Brighton. And some corking hilly trails, through ancient woods, endless bridle paths and the North Downs, lots for roadies too, famous Titsey Hill, Toys Hill, Limpsfield Chart etc etc etc.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘South London – where best to live?’ is closed to new replies.