Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • South Downs Way… single speed?
  • bigdaddy

Good effort, well done! Bet there were some stiff legs once you got off the train to start riding again…

legometeorology
    Free Member

Actually, I felt pretty good coming off the train

I was thinking, I’d done the first 70 miles in 7 hours, which is faster than the 9 mph I’d expected to average, and was excited that the 30 miles left may only take me another 3 hours

But I miscalculated. I’d only done a little over 60 miles, which meant I had only averaged the 9 mph I expected, and I actually had closer to 40 miles left… so Eastbourne to Steyning took me 5 hours, rather than the 3 I expected when leaving the train

Then and now, my legs were/are damn sore

5lab

It actually wasn’t as hilly as I was expecting after comments on this thread

I expect having a nice 3 hour break halfway through helped with that. None of the hills are big, but there’s lots of them and they seem pretty endless

bigdaddy

And the Eastbourne bit is the hardest/hilliest!

legometeorology
    Free Member

Yea, from Steyning on it didn’t feel too bad. There always seemed to be a long flat or rolling section after every decent climb, and the climbs were never that steep. The first 10-20 miles from Eastbourne was a bit more brutal though

I’m not sure how much the rest on the train helped (I had two changes, and delays which meant I missed the first, so didn’t really get to properly wind down). But what def did help is that I was on the train for the 3 hours of the day where the temperature went over 25 degrees

legometeorology
    Free Member

Yea, the double is another level. Can’t believe there are singlespeeders that have done that in 18 hours

slowboydickie

Well done, mon brave.  Whilst you proved it is possible on a SS I assume it would be more enjoyable with gears.  Having done it many times on a gravel bike, a rigid MTB and a lightweight full suss I can confirm doing it geared in comfort was much faster due to speed of descents, traction on climbs and overall reduction of fatigue.

legometeorology
    Free Member

dickie, yes, def would have been more comfortable with gears.

Problem is that I don’t have an mtb with gears, and I think the skinnier tyres of my gravel bike would have added more discomfort than the single-gear of my mtb did. I also feared that the higher pressures I run on my gravel bike would have left me more open to flint writing off a tyre, but that was a theory — it’s the first time I’ve ridden on flint. I’m used to the lime- and gritstone of Yorkshire

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.