South Downs Way – Current Conditions & Good GPX Track?

Home Forum Bike Forum South Downs Way – Current Conditions & Good GPX Track?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • South Downs Way – Current Conditions & Good GPX Track?
  • Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Very soggy and slippy at the moment, depends on weather this week. I’m not local so sing know how quick it dries out but I’ve been here all weekend with family. It’s been wet all week and weekend… 🙁 my attempt has been postponed somewhat…

Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

Wet and slippy at the Winchester end. You won’t need gps or a map – the Downs are well signposted. I’ve done it twice and neither time needed a map or gps (and didn’t get lost)

matts

@cp – Yeah. I’ve been here with the family for the last week. 5 days camping in Graffham was pretty much a wash-out. I’m gutted that it’s been so nice for the whole summer, and now this last week will most likely make my ride a miserable slog.

@stimpy – Thanks.

matts

I’m planning to do the SDW on Thursday+Friday this week.

Has anyone been out riding over the last few days? With all the rain I’m guessing the conditions may be a bit grim for a cross bike? Ho Hum.

Also, can anyone recommend a good GPX track to load to the Garmin? I’m not that fussed about the navigation side, but it would be useful to have a track to see on screen. I know there have been a couple of alterations to the route in the last few years, so something up-to-date would be preferable. (the ones I’ve found use the Warnford route) I have the A-Z strip map, and I also have OSM maps loaded to my phone, but I’d rather not have to keep stopping to navigate if I don’t have to.

Cheers,
    Matt.

cyclistm

Take a garmin with the route
    Its well sign posted but easy to miss

shermer75

It was dry around Brighton/Devil’s Dyke on Friday

jn49

Rode on the SDW near Amberley yesterday (Sunday) and was filthy and slippy on the exposed chalk climbs around Whiteways / A29 crossing. Rained heavily this morning as well. Doesn’t look like rain forecast so far for the rest of the week, but being a local, I think it will still be slippy and wet towards the end of the week making it a potential slog. Wouldn’t fancy it on a crosser with limited grip.

matts

@shermer75:

Thanks. The forecast now is for it to be dry for the rest of the week, so maybe things can dry out a bit for the whole route.

@cyclistm:

Is there one you can suggest? I found one on gpxtracks, and there’s one from southdownsdouble, but they both use the old route around Warnford.

matts

@jn49

Bugger. Not what I was wanting to hear. 🙁 I’d better get out and do my sun dance tomorrow and pray for some baking hot weather to dry things out.

cyclistm

I rode it a few weeks ago and made a couple of navigational errors but your welcome to get the route from my strava. I’ll send u an email this eve. No idea if I rode the classic, new or old route. Also we were diverted round the festival at Winchester so that’s a bit out too.

In the absence of anything else it will keep you on track

caspian

I would use the Warnford route anyway (grass descent, road climb) as the Old Winchester hill off road climb is probably the wettest part of the sdw right now. Horrible here today

cyclistm

No email in your profile, mail me and I’ll send it over

matts

@caspian

Thanks. Maybe I’ll plan on taking that route then. Let me know if conditions look like they’re improving over the next couple of days.

caspian

Weather does look better from tomorrow onwards. I would take the mtb though.

matts

Would if I had one… 😉

Tripster with 41mm Knards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way – Current Conditions & Good GPX Track?’ is closed to new replies.