Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • south downs single track
  • nobbyq
    Free Member

hi any good routes for a day out ? will be in the area and thinking about taking the bike, thx

JoB
    Free Member

there’s 260 square miles of South Downs area, which bit are you in?

submarined
    Free Member

Whereabouts? South Downs are pretty big! Only bit I know is Friston, and there’s heaps around there. Have a look on Trailforks.

spooky_b329

Friston is a mudbath at this time of year, only made worse as parts have just been clear felled by the loggers. One to save for the summer.

Stanmer Park Brighton has loads of singletrack and probably running nicer.

nobbyq
    Free Member

hi all , am coming over from jersey to portsmouth so will be in that rough area

corroded
    Free Member

Was also going to ask which end of the Downs. If you’re coming from Portsmouth (and presumably without a car) then it’s very easy to jump on a direct train to Petersfield and explore around the QECP and the SDW in either direction.

alan1977
    Free Member

yup, you can play on the award winning blue trail at QECP or do a little more of a slog along the red

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.. QECP.

And SDW..

richardthird

How’s QECP riding at the mo?

alan1977
    Free Member

blue atm is dry bar one berm, top is a little soft.. week or so ago top was slodgy, lowers had some standing water
    some of red is still quite soft but perfectly rideable
    off piste.. well that’s some fun

DezB
    Free Member

Red descent is still closed as far as I’m aware, so not really worth grinding up all the leaves and mud just to fly down a straight bridleway!
    Blue should be fine.

alan1977
    Free Member

that’s the red final descent, which was rubbish before hand anyway
    snakes and ladders on the back is open and excellent, i literally only run red to session this section
    as is the snakebites on the mid descent

DezB
    Free Member

which was rubbish before hand anyway

How was it rubbish?! Last 3 berms were a bit knackered, but a decent challenge and the rest of it was good, well, better than the bridleway!
    Anyway, irrelevant really, seeing as it’s being reworked.

alan1977
    Free Member

I don’t really remember there being much to the last descent, after you did that mammoth rooty climb and the long flinty (not steep) descent the final little bit seemed to offer very little.
    I don’t believe it compared to the rest of the blue/red sections at all, i guess that’s why they are chucking some table tops in

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t run me over when I’m running it, tvm.

andyg1966

Go a bit north and do Devils Punchbowl or Peaslake

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘south downs single track’ is closed to new replies.