Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • south downs mid length day loop?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

thinking about getting down there on the bike this week, possibly solo depending on whether mates can make it or not. fancy doing a bit of the south downs, other than an “out and back”, does anyone have or have a link to a mid-distance loop with same start and finish point, ie. from and back to car? thinking around 20-30 miles. 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/south-downs-lazy-sunday.pdf

🙂

my recomendation would be to start at the car park below chanctonbury ring head east then south to get to cissbury ring. then return along the sdw to chanctonbury ring then hit the ace decent back to the car. there are lots of variations on this of course – your spoilt for choice of routes

theflatboy
    Free Member

oh, good show!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

I’ve got a nice fig of 8 loop starting from Goodwood, a bit further west. With a nice pub stop or 2 on the way. Not in any downloadable format, I’d have to ‘spell it out’ from the os maps.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ooh, tempting as well! if it’s not too tricky to give me the info that would be kind. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

also, anyone who’s done that sunday route – suggestions on good place to start to get a nice run back to the car at the end?

theotherjonv

will try to sort it out this evening and email you tomorrow – what’s your address?

theflatboy
    Free Member

that’s really kind, email’s theflatboy at gmail dot com.

vd

Friend of mine does a good route starting from East Lavant – Cocking – SDW to Nr Amberley – singletrack back to Goodwood – East Lavant. Includes a nice pub or Teashop at Houghton Bridge. Could email you an OS extract or directions

loddrik
    Free Member

have to say I went to the south downs last week and thought it was great. I took a job in guildford to have riding on my doorstep, but the north downs bore me to tears and are rammed at the weekends. The south downs reminded me very much of the clwydian hills close to home, great scenery and not many people. I wish I’d gone there sooner, brilliant!

theotherjonv

I’m guildford too Loddrik – be happy to show you some other stuff over towards Bracknell/Crowthorne (but not Swinley), still rideable from the door though. Miles of singletrack, better than the ND (shhhh!)

Or if you like ‘big sky’ stuff get on the STW Purbecks ride at the weekend. made my first visit there yesterday and it was superb.

lardman
    Free Member

I’d say start at Falmer village (easy to park) and head over the main road and go up through Stanmer park, heading north. The descent back down from Kingston ridge, is quite long, although not very technical and should drop you back to the car nicely.

You could also start near Lewes prison and start heading south towards Kingston, then the final descent back down from the Mount Harry/Black Cap area is a nice bit of single track and quite long.

There’s a tea shop in Stanmer Park, and a pub that (used to) serves good food in Kingston called ‘The Juggs’.

theflatboy
    Free Member

well i did end up getting down to the downs this morning, and what a super ride it was too. ended up doing the singletrack 40km loop starting at lewes, was having to stop at every junction to look at my little map but got round in the end, beautiful weather that started cloudy and got better and better, and very nice views out to the sea and back inland. thanks both of the chaps who sent me alternative routes, i’ll keep them saved give them a go next time(s)!

i did go past the stanmer tea rooms and the juggs pub, but ended up doing it non-stop (apart from map checks every 1/2 mile!) in 3 hours 10 mins. great stuff. 🙂

by the way, crossed paths with 3 helpful chaps, one local on a very nice singlespeed jones. meant to ask but most likely they’re on here. if so, hello!

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Lardman,
    theflatboy,

Lived in Lewes for years (now Seaford) would be very interested in hooking up for a guided tour of these route (Lewes one Falmer one).
    Let me know if you guys are riding, could I tag along (might be a bit slow if you guys are oooober fit) ?
    Email me : chrisjbunn@hotmail.co.uk
    Cheers

bunnerscj
    Free Member

I have looked at the link provided by Thomthumb, which is the best way around starting from Lewes ? – up to black cap or from lewes to kingston to woodingdean ?
    Thanks

theflatboy
    Free Member

alright mate, i’m by no means an expert – i live in north london but just followed the route that you mention!

i did it anticlockwise and there was no particular section that would would have been better going the other way, i didn’t find. 🙂

avdave2

I’ll have to try that loop. I’ve ridden all of it at sometime or another but not as a loop. In fact a bit of it from Balsdean to Woodingdean is on my commute to work every day. My favourite bit is coming home Woodingdean down to Balsdean via the track cut into the hillside. Just have to watch out for badger setts at the bottom though.

theflatboy
    Free Member

that was a nice section – i was coming south away from the mast on bullock hill, out towards where you can see down to the windmill on the coast. had to do a cheeky hop over the sort of hanging barrier, much to the delight of some dog-walking locals 😆

theflatboy
    Free Member

bump just in case those 3 chaps i mentioned earlier are on here…

avdave2

You picked a good day, this morning your bike could have still been hanging on that fence post and I’d of ridden right past it. Rain and mist and a strong wind. I guess that was the summer then, time to put back the mud tyres.

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah i know! i was thinking exactly that when i was out a few minutes ago… can barely even remember the weather of last week now, almost got blown away! 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘south downs mid length day loop?’ is closed to new replies.