South Downs Double – 200 miles in 24hrs attempt tonight

Home Forum Bike Forum South Downs Double – 200 miles in 24hrs attempt tonight

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • South Downs Double – 200 miles in 24hrs attempt tonight
  • tinsy

That will be a massive effort, hope you have got him lots of minty arse lard.

Donated.

Boris01

yep, but he’s gonna have to apply it himself..

cheers for the donation, much appreciated

theflatboy

$&*!ting crikey. fair play and good luck to the guy!

Boris01

Cheers.. am hoping the weather holds up too!

Boris01

Please forgive the shameless plug but Richard Sterry, a good mate of mine, is going for a South Downs Double ride in under 24 hrs as a regular guy / rider and his attempt starts tonight!- He is not a Mike Cotty , Rob Lee or Ian Leitch. He is not a racer or an athlete but is a club cyclist that has been inspired to do something memorable and for charity. His plan is to ride from Eastbourne to Winchester and then join the BHF Randonee tomorrow morning for his return leg – that’s 200 off road miles in 24hrs 😯

This is a supported ride and he has a crew (3 of us) to feed him and cheer him on along the way. Richard has been promoting the ride hard to raise money for the BHF

If you are interested you can follow progress and/or donate to BHF via his site here http://richardsterry.blogspot.com/

Cheers All 🙂

Buzzard

Boris,

Let us know how he gets on. I’m planning a one way in a day this year, but have always thought of a double as the ultimate challenge. Good luck to everyone who is out there this weekend. May the trails be dry and the wheels fast

Boris01

I will Buzzard, no worries – there’ll be news on his site and i’ll spread the word on the forum Sat night/Sun morning

Best of luck with your plans too..

Boris01

Hi All

I’m proud to say he did it!!

An absolutely awesome effort in stupid hot conditions with a time of 23hrs:31mins

It was an interesting night with plenty of fog, however , as daylight came and the turnround in Winchester early, Richard joined the BHF 100 milers as they set off. So many great riders along the way, massive thanks to all of those guys who wished him well and finished their own monster 100 milers. For those who don’t know the South Downs, its tough terrain with some incredibly punishing hills to conquer.

Richard was inspired along the way by Neil Newell (a fellow SDD achiever look him up on google for his remarkable story) and Rory Hitchens from Exposure Lights and there is still plenty of time to recognise Richards achievement by donating to the British Heart Foundation via his blog http://richardsterry.blogspot.com/

Cheers to everyone for your support

hazeii

Massive respect to Richard, and all the the others BHF riders too! ‘Stupid hot’ just doesn’t do the heat justice, I was out on a local ride in the area and some of the climbs were stifling. Even the 35 mile option of the big climbs between Brighton and Eastbourne must have been hard enough.

Took a few pics of BHF riders descending towards the A27 crossing, I’d guess that some of them don’t ride offroad much and it was a bit scary to watch (let’s just say they wouldn’t have ridden out a 35mph badger strike!).

Got a couple of pics of Richard too.

Richard (seated) at support stop near Lewes

Leading BHF riders up the long climb onto Kingston Ridge

Buzzard

Well Done to Richard,

Epic ride on a hot weekend. Very impressed and now inspired to attempt it next year

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Double – 200 miles in 24hrs attempt tonight’ is closed to new replies.