Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • South Downs Camp Site
  • alexpalacefan

Hi there, looking for a camp site in the South Downs. Nice location and near to a pub would be good.

Not after anything flash, just a bog and a shower, and not keen to pay too much, crikey when did camping get so expensive?

As always, suggestions gratefully received,

APF

DrP

Any particular area/village take your fancy? the south downs is a big place!

DrP

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Gumber Farm, near Arundel?

peteimpreza

Brighton?

IGMC

DrP

^^^
    I Geddit…..!

DrP

Painey
    Free Member

Check out house dean farm near Falmer/Lewes, just outside Brighton. It’s right next to the South Downs Way, pub half a mile down the road. They don’t mind if you have a few drinks and make a bit of noise either. Plus they have fire pits and will bring you logs to have your own fires/barbecues.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

We recently had this dilemma, and ended up staying at a site called Woodside Farm (Petersfield end of the South Downs).

If it is cheap and basic you are after, then yes. Especially since there is only one bog and one shower. What did not mesh with this basic campsite experience was the sizable corral of building entrepreneurs in very flash caravans and expensive German saloons at one end of the field.

Also minus points for the large group of family campers that pitched their tents and then built a campfire out of what smelt to those of us downwind (i.e. the whole campsite) to be wet wood, week dead badgers and dog shit. Then stayed up getting pissed until 2am.

£10 a night for a tent though, so you have got to take the rough with the smooth.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There’s a nice one at Graffham near Petworth/midhurst.Just at the foot of the downs.
    Lovely hot showers, a basic shop, and down the road from a decent boozer

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/westsussex/petworth/graffham

muggomagic

There’s a nice one near Washington. Not sure Palace fans are allowed south of Gatwick though.

alexpalacefan

Thanks all, I knew I could rely on this place. I will pass these onto the boss (Mrs PF) for a final decision.

Thanks again,

Alex 🙂

Evesie
    Free Member

At the Eastboutrne end there’s & site that fits your needs at Alfriston. Handy for Friston forest which has some of the best twiddly, high speed singletrack & some jumpy stuff too if you like airtime.

rewski
    Free Member

Alfriston is a good shout, some great riding around Litlington Heath too, drops you right into SDW Jevington or Friston Forest. Grab a pint of Long Man in the Plough in Litlington or 8 Bells in Jevington. I’ll be there at the weekend.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Camp Site’ is closed to new replies.