Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • South Devon/Dartmoor, what bike to take?
  • el_boufador

So after an amount of faffing about trying to decide where to go, we are going family camping to south devon (bigbury on sea) and then somewhere else (probably dartmoor) towards the end of the week.

For bigbury it looks like there are a few bridelways around and lots of nice road riding. Also some cheeky stuff (coast path) if I obey the cheeky trails rules (v.v. early or late!)

Dartmoor looks like there is plenty of good riding to be had though I am not sure how rocky/tech, and I’m not sure exactly where we’re going to end up.

So do I take:

1. Gravel/road bike

2. Xc bike

3. Full suspension trail bike (probably put lighter wheels on with this option)

Can’t decide between 2 and 3. Erring towards 3. any Thoughts?

rossburton
    Free Member

I’d take (3) as there’s some great techy riding in Dartmoor.

nickjb
    Free Member

I don’t like the riding round south hams. Narrow lanes and too much traffic. Very little off road. It is however a brilliant bit of coast. Don’t worry about the bike and take/rent a kayak. Then take the trail bike and do a decent ride on dartmoor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IdleJon

I found loads of green lanes around South Devon, which a gravel bike would be good on. Less so on Dartmoor, where even the bridleways van get super-techy. I’d probably take the xc bike rather than the trail bike but any would be fun!

jimdubleyou

I’ve only really got experience of the trails near my folks place in Sticklepath, but in that limited experience you can either:

pick your way down on XC bike

or

hoon it down with a mile wide grin on your trail bike

enigmas
    Free Member

Loads of stuff round there, Haldon for an okay flowy trail centre (ask a local to point you to the off piste there), or cann woods and rora woods for loamy handbuilt locals stuff. Both are easy navigable using strava.

On the natural side lushleigh way has the best natural stuff on dartmoor by a mile, there’s plenty of routes if you type in ‘nutcracker ride dartmoor’ into google. I’d want the full suss for any of the above stuff.

I also love the south hams for road riding, plenty of peaceful quiet routes round there and way less busy than dartmoor ime.

el_boufador

Nice one thanks – I’ll check out those suggestions for sure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘South Devon/Dartmoor, what bike to take?’ is closed to new replies.