Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • South Dales Gravel/Gnarmac route knowledge?
  • djglover
    Free Member

My gravel tyres have just arrived and my Mason is getting converted to summer gnarmac duites..

Does anyone have any knowledge of bridleways/byways/other access routes around Skipton Moor, Embsay Moor, Pockstones, Skyreholme; plus Malham / Settle area Looking to link some of my road routes up with a bit of light off road…

Ta

whitestone
    Free Member

Martin will be along with more info but …

The BW along Skipton moor is railway style hardcore at the eastern end and rutted/boggy towards the Skipton end.

Barden Moor (Embsay moor): the main BW from Halton Heights/Black Park to Rylstone is fine, the bit where it leaves the main vehicle track is the most interesting but get the line right and avoid the big slots and you’ll be fine.

The stuff up on Boss Moor/Threshfield Moor is generally OK, one or two bits could be interesting depending on how wet things have been 😆 This bit was very muddy the other week.

Mastiles Lane and the stuff above Malham leading over to Settle will be fine – much of it was sorted out a few years ago after they banned motorised traffic.

Edit: I wouldn’t bother with the BW over Sharp Haw on a CX bike – there’s lots of hidden holes in amongst the boulders. Bad enough on an MTB.

djglover
    Free Member

great info thanks, have you / anyone ridden between Thurcross and Skyreholm?

whitestone
    Free Member

Missed Pockstones Moor! This used to be boggy but the estates have improved it in recent years so it’s much more pleasant. (just seen your reply – this BW is the one between Thruscross and Skyreholme, it’s used as part of the YD300) The BW heading north to the B6265 is also OK.

The BW over Benny Bent (towards Pateley Bridge) is boggy though, even when dry it wouldn’t be pleasant on a CX.

djglover
    Free Member

Brilliant ta, I feel a loop coming together for tonight!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘South Dales Gravel/Gnarmac route knowledge?’ is closed to new replies.