Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • South Chilterns Route help
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hey Guys,

This is my usual Chilterns route I like to start from Hambelden as its close and easy to get to and if I have any mates coming its a good place to park/meet.

South Chilterns Route

Did the route yesterday and generally pretty pleased with it. Managed to avoid most of the mud, did a slight detour and went along the road from Ibstone common to Ibstone house and dropped down to the bridleway in the valley on the last bridleway which avoided most of the mud down there.

There some really good descents on the way back ie Hanger Wood/Hatchett wood. But on the way out theres alot of gaining altitude with out good downhills.

The main sticking point for me is I dont like the descent that comes out by Stonor Park. Its too direct and doesnt make good use of the available altitude.

Yesterday I tried the footpath straight through Stonor Park. Theres some massive gates to stop MTBers getting through but as I gone with a mate we managed to lift the bikes over. Its actually a really good descent for Chilterns, rooty and makes good use of the alititude. But we met some kind of gardener and I think the landowner and they were not best pleased + with the gates I wont be going that way again.

Can anyone suggest a better route ?

I like to use Hollandridge lane to gain height as “almost” a road and I dont think there is much point struggling through the mud in the chilterns when your trying to gain height.

faint
    Free Member

more my mates territory who I follow round but I know the lane that goes down into Turville has a nice footpath one side then we climb back up and do the bridle way on the other side. Dont think its actually marked as a bridle way at the top but does join into one on the flatter section at the bottom. That’s coming from North End by the way

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hi sorry dont really get what your suggesting ?

So when I get to Kimble Farm (near top of stonor descent).

Are you suggesting I take the descent down through Great Wood to Turville and then take the road up to Northend hence to christmas common and continue my route from there ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘South Chilterns Route help’ is closed to new replies.