Viewing 12 posts - 321 through 332 (of 332 total)
  • Sourdough starter?
  • Premier Icon thenorthwind
    Subscriber

also another consideration, not sure if you usually knead your dough but WW and rye have the ‘sharp bits’ of the grain left in them which can cut through gluten when kneading, so i think its generally considered better to maybe stretch and fold or summats rather than kneading.

“Autolysing” (mixing the flour and water, and starter, depending on who you believe, but not salt) before the stretching/folding/kneading will soften the bran up. It’s supposed to be good to do anyway, but particularly with coarser flours.

davy-g

my 8th attempt at sourdough bread…. think I may have gotten the hang of it now….

Autolysing” (mixing the flour and water, and starter, depending on who you believe, but not salt) before the stretching/folding/kneading will soften the bran up. It’s supposed to be good to do anyway, but particularly with coarser flours.

I normally make up quite a wet mix, take it out, give it a few folds, back in the bowl, and leave it for an hour or so before the main stretch and fold event. Has worked for me so far – so am doing the same. Hopefully that should soften up the WM flour like you say. Thanks. 👍

davy-g

Easy Focaccia Recipe (with yeast or sourdough starter), No-Knead Focaccia

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

Don’t add too much in the way of sunflower seeds or it gets quite heavy.

Can’t think how I know this.

djambo

After a failed attempt at making a starter we got some off a friend. Here is my first loaf using Alex’s recipe from YT so cooked in a dutch oven:

Sourdough
    Crumb

Pretty pleased with it. If i had to knit pick i’d have two gripes:

1) The crust didn’t remain crispy once it had cooled
    2) The inside was ever so slightly crumpety in texture

Maybe the above are characteristics of sourdough..any ideas how i might improve?

djambo

Let me try again with those photos:
    bread
    bread1

Premier Icon toby1
    Subscriber

The crust didn’t remain crispy once it had cooled

From recent experience this happens when you cook a wet dough and the water comes out to the crust as it cools. 2 things you can try are a less wet dough initially, also I stuck the loaf back in the cooling oven for 10-20 minutes after baking to ‘dry’ it out a bit further which worked 2 weeks ago and didn’t work so well this week. I am not an expert 🙂

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

well i made my best and ‘airest’ loaf yet, but……. i cheated, its normal instant yeast. posted it here tho to show what im trying to achieve with sourdough, but ive never made one like this yet!

its just so light and soft!

ive still got another week of building my starter so thought id try and get the hang of how bread should look and feel during bulk fermentation and proving, just so i can compare. it sort of went wrong, but ive ended up with this still.

i intended to use my usual sourdough recipe, but just subbed the 100g starter for 7g instant yeast.
    water and yeast mixed and left for a minute or so, then 500g flour added and mixed for a couple of mins by wooden spoon and left to autolyse for half hour.
    added salt and kneaded for 10 mins instead of usual stretch and folds.

i was then expecting it to bulk ferment for around 4 hours, went out for 2 and it had ballooned and was nearly spilling over the top.
    this is where i did something ive never done before but thought what the hell, i ‘knocked it back’, to smaller size again, then left it another hour or so and it rose again. wow, so quick!

i then preshaped as usual, 4 stretch and folds, and put on the top, expecting to leave for half hour or so. but….. i did the prod test, it was showing signs of being about right, so i thought no time for final shaping, it is what it is, its ready, so just plopped it in the oven as it was, in a boule.

really pleased with the result, but not sure i can replicate it either with yeast or even harder, with sourdough 😀

Albanach

That looks lovely Sadex! Here is my latest loaf…getting the hang of it now!

Managed to score some 00 flour yesterday, happy days!.

Viewing 12 posts - 321 through 332 (of 332 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.