Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 349 total)
  • Sourdough starter?
  • davy-g
    Free Member

@Nobeer you could try using swiss roll trays??

my 5th sourdough attempt…. just waiting on a few rashers of bacon to be cooked… must admit the flavour of the bread is improving…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

First attempt at sourdough with wholemeal flour from Scotland the Bread. Looking forward to sampling once it’s cooled a bit
    Sourdough

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

so good everyone!

My 5th try this weekend. so far i have found that the best results come with leaving the dough in the bathroom with the underfloor heating on. swedish kitchens appear to be a bit chilly.

Has anyone got and good recipes for sourdough muffins or something of similiar ilk?  I’veseen chocolate sourdough bread which must be tried at some point

thenorthwind

One of my Pizza stones cracked making sourdough, Either down to age failure, or maybe the steam when making sourdough.

I fancy a rectangular one, so that I can make a) bigger pizza and b) do 2 sourdoughs at once, side by side.

Any recommendations?.

A guy I used to live with had a large flooring tile of some description he used as a pizza stone. I guess you would have to choose careful with regard to heat resistance/water content, but if you got it would probably be much cheaper than effectively the same thing sold specifically for baking. Sourdough scene tax, innit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Third attempt for me using the starter I grew a few weeks ago. First was a bit of a brick. Think I got excited and overworked, then a bit too much knocking back. Tasted grand though.

Second was better, still could have done with a bit more air. Tasted better.

Third one was done after watching Jack’s videos on YouTube. I hardly kneaded, just stretched and folded a few times with a very wet dough. Was a bit of a nightmare without a proper scraper – I’m just using a spatula. Then a bit more flour for the second stretch and fold, a 2 hour prove, loaf formation with minimal handling, and into a round bowl overnight in the fridge. Baked this morning. Nice stretchy bread, enough air for me. Need to be braver with my scoring I think.

Scraper, scoring blades and proving basket arriving tomorrow. 😂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks ace Ciaran, lovely sandwich crumb.

longdog
    Free Member

They all look great and tasty. I think I’m on to my 4th loaf now and it improves each time.

Managed to score some Dove Farm rye flour the other day at Tesco. Wow! The difference it made to my starters activity is massive.

Got a load of sough dough pizza dough in the fridge ready for pizza night tonight. Last weeks were good, but I got my self a bit stressed with it all and the oven/stone lost a lot of heat between pizzas so the first one was definitely the best. Going to make more of an evening of it this time instead of rushing to get them all done then eating.

cheesey garlic bread
    ham and cheese
    margherita

sadexpunk

looks a lovely, even crumb that, dd.

i also use the bake with jack method, but not having much success.
    might be the starter, not sure. its pretty much all rye, fed it out of the fridge last night again and it wasnt til about 1pm til i was happy it had bubbled up and nearly doubled.

however….. it sinks in water still, so im not too hopeful of this loaf either.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

sadexpunk, I didn’t know anything about jack’s stuff when I decided to make a starter. So I used this recipe from the Beeb. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sourdough_starter_22976

It uses some live natural yoghurt and skimmed milk to give it a helping hand at the beginning. It‘s very lively! Shortly after feeding it (a few hours), it’s bubbling right up but lives asleep in a jar in the fridge quite happily.

longdog
    Free Member

Never tried the ‘see if it floats test’; that’s far too scary, but it’s risen every time so far. Bake with Jack stuff is good eh?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One little problem I noticed with mine was the centre of the bottom of the loaf was a bit undercooked. I followed jack’s advice and put a shed load of boiling water in a tray. Our oven is small and to have the loaf in the centre means the baking tray is quite close to the water so I’m guessing the steam is keeping the tray cooler meaning the bottom didn’t cook properly. Going to take a bit of thought – or probably an order for a stone or something…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think the ‘floats in water’ test is a bit of a myth anyway, not something I’d worry about tbh.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Right second go this morning – wotcha think?

dc1988

How do you get the fancy pattern on top?

sharkbait
    Free Member

it’s from the banetton

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have one of those arriving today. Do you flour the cloth and use that or just flour the banetton? No problems with sticking?

EDIT: looks grand by the way!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just flour the Banneton matey, they’re great.

sadexpunk

tried an experiment, failed dismally…..

fed my starter before bed, and at the same time tried an overnight ‘autolyse’, just flour/water/salt, and then in the morning added the starter. i mixed the starter in my using the rubaud method of kneading, a sort of scooping motion.
    also shortened the time between slap/folds to 90 mins each to give a shorter fermentation time.
    it didnt work 😀

so….. back to basics. just baked a loaf using the usual method. i wondered if the gummy texture could be undercooking, even tho i leave it in longer than recipe the time, so this time when id usually take it out i kept leaving it in another 10 mins, another 5, another 5 until the crust was a fair bit darker. looks good.

cutting into it, all i think the longer bake has done is make the crust a bit er….crustier. still lovely and chewy tho, but im just not sure about those holes…..

wotcha reckon?

davy-g
    Free Member

my 6th attempt… gave this one a longer cold ferment… the bread bloomed higher in the oven this time…. had to make some cherry scones to compliment the weight management… (that I can’t control…LOL)
    loaf was made with 200g starter, 360g water and 30g water with 10g salt, 400g strong white and 100g wholemeal….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Attempt number 4 for me – definitely looking more like a sourdough now. A few uneven foods here and there, but otherwise well pleased. Just about to bacon sandwich it up. Dough scraper made a hell of a difference working with jack’s sticky stretch and fold method. I do add a bit more flour for the s’n’f before overnight rise. The two loaves were nearly climbing out of the fridge this morning. They did flatten out a bit when I popped them on the baking tray. [url=https://suwalls.com/abstract/thin-blue-lines]thin blue line wallpaper[/url]

thenorthwind

Some more good looking loaves on here. Two more in my oven as we speak, though I think I was a little impatient and maybe should have left them in the fridge til the morning (actually about 3am probably would have been optimum proving time, but I’m not that obsessed).

I’ve nearly finished the 16kg bag of white flour I was given about a month ago. Went to the cash and carry and bought another 16kg at the weekend, as well as 500 paper bags as I’m giving half the loaves away. Need to source some wholemeal though.

One question: does anyone have any tips on stopping bread sticking to whatever it’s baked on? I’m baking too loaves at a time: one in a loaf tin, which it’s also proved in, and one freeform on a flat baking tray, which is proved in another container. They’ve both got good non-stick coatings, and I’m flouring them heavily (though with the tin I suspect that’s a bit pointless). Polenta/semolina seems to work better, but not perfectly, and that doesn’t really work for the tin. With the tin, it’s not stuck to the bottom/sides really – once the edges are prised off, it pops out. It’s just difficult to do without breaking the crust and making a bit of a mess of it.

sadexpunk

Parchment/greaseproof paper?

thenorthwind

Might be worth a try for the freeform loaf, though I’ve used it before and it’s soaked up the moisture and got stuck and it’s harder to get off – think that would happen if I left it in the tin while that loaf proved.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno about bread, but for the likes of banana loaf etc, my metal loaf runs lie unused, the silicon one is the one I reach for.

Pops out every time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I use a non-stick baking tray as well thenorthwind. All mine have “stuck” but I just have one short sharp stab with a plastic blade-spatula type thing – and then it gives way. I’m not sure I’d be brave enough to try a tin. 😀

igm

Pizza stone

koogia
    Free Member

To stop loaves sticking to trays or tins, grease with lard or Trex (white vegetable based fat).

Also, if a loaf is stuck in a tin (even after greasing), you can leave it for 10-15 mins to assist removal. The moisture will tend to loosen it, although the crust will become soggy. Once it is out of the tin, the crust will dry out and crispen up again

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pizza stone here too, although one of them has cracked, possibly from the steam.

thenorthwind

Thanks folks.

Might try greasing the tin, or at least the lip where it sticks.

Interesting that it doesn’t stick to a pizza stone. I used to have some for making (oddly) pizzas and they would stick sometimes.

I did try leaving it to cool in the tin a couple of weeks ago to see if they shrank and different rates and separated. It seemed easier to get out, but the crust was very soft (which was actually quite nice, it would work well as a loaf for sandwiches). Will try a shorter time.

Albanach
    Free Member

Here is a few pictures of my recent bakes which I am pretty chuffed with. Learning everytime and despite being a sceptic Instagram has proved invaluable in terms of learning off others…

71% Hydration Loaf

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looking good Alba!

TNW, my pizza stone never sticks, the only way pizza sticks is if I’ve overlaoded it and some cheese makes a bid for freedom. And Semolina is your friend.

honeybadgerx

I’ve just started using a dutch oven for mine now – works really well I have to say! Good for high hydration loaves too.

sadexpunk

I’ve just started using a dutch oven for mine now – works really well I have to say! Good for high hydration loaves too.

you using parchment/greaseproof paper in that or just plopping the dough straight in?

Albanach
    Free Member

I use parchment in a le Creuset casserole pot

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This morning’s bake after an overnight rise, uncovered, which gives a nice tight skin and seems to stop it flopping so much. Man, the heel of this with a bit of nice salty butter…😀

Albanach
    Free Member

@deadlydarcy looks lovely…a big slab of Kerry gold on the doorstep and a cuppa 🤤

igm

Am I the only one who is doing exclusively granary flour loaves?

I did get up to 20% white briefly.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Question – if adding wholemeal (finally got hold of some Shipton Mill 🙌) is it just a straight swap, so say, half and half by weight SWBF/Wholemeal? All other ingredients the same?

sadexpunk

WW and rye are thirstier flours, so to get the same consistency dough you may need to up the hydration….

also another consideration, not sure if you usually knead your dough but WW and rye have the ‘sharp bits’ of the grain left in them which can cut through gluten when kneading, so i think its generally considered better to maybe stretch and fold or something rather than kneading.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I just stretch and fold as per jack anyway, rather than knead. Wondered if there would be a need for more hydration. Ta. 👍

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 349 total)

The topic ‘Sourdough starter?’ is closed to new replies.