Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sourdough Starter Bubbling (a little) but not rising
  • djambo
    Free Member

Given we’re spending lots of time at home i decided to ry and get a sourdough starter going.

I followed a Paul Hollywood recipe of a grated apple, flour and water. Cant remember the exact amounts but it was in a big Kilner jar and produced quite a lot of starter. After a few days it almost doubled in size then dropped back. On the next feed it bubbled but din’t rise. After a day or two of discard and feeding more it ended up with liquid on top (hooch).

Every since then i’ve been feeding it daily (sometimes twice). To avoid wasting loads of flour i’ve reduced the size down and the last few days i’ve been taking 25g of starter and feeding with 25g of flour and 25g of water. Again after 5-10 hours or so I get a few small bubbles but no noticeable rise.After 24 hours i see a small amount of hooch on top.

I’m using Marriages Premium Strong white flour. The stater is in a tupper ware jar on the worktop. Given the weather it’s been nice and warm in the kitchen 20-25 celcius range so I cant imagine the temp is the issue.

Any ideas what i’m doing wrong?

timidwheeler

Dude. Let it chill. Pop it on a shelf in the warm for a day or so. I think you are over doing it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cut back on the water a bit, and try using rye flour as well, it was like rocket fuel in my white starter.

Patience too.

myti
    Free Member

There’s a thread for this already

sadexpunk

There’s a thread for this already

Indeed there is……

as advised above, dont worry, itll come good. mine initially started bubbling up after just 2 or 3 days, then died, im now building it up properly over 2 weeks before using again. 1 week 24 hr feeds, 2nd week twice a day, using rye flour.
    and yes youre doing the right thing using small amounts, less waste.
    Theres a load of recipes out there for starter ‘waste’ too.

z1ppy

Sour dough crumpets for the win! Ive only made 3 loaves but loads of crumpets!

djambo
    Free Member

well i started feeding it with less water and saw some minor rising but no big bubbling. then mrs djambo got some socially distanced starter from a friend that rises and falls like a goodun (doubled in size 2 hrs after feeding). got the first loaf proving in the fridge over night. will report back with results on the other thread…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sourdough Starter Bubbling (a little) but not rising’ is closed to new replies.