Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Source for wide 26″ rim for V-brakes
  • epicyclo

Anyone got a source for a wide rim for 26″ that has braking tracks?

As close to 40-45mm width as possible.

simondbarnes

Is a v-brake going to work properly on a rim that wide?
    Ryde do the Andra 30 but that is only 31.4mm external.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Try unicycle rims. Nimbus Dominator, Kris Holm etc…

epicyclo

simondbarnes
    Is a v-brake going to work properly on a rim that wide?
    Ryde do the Andra 30 but that is only 31.4mm external.

Good point.

I am expecting to do some bodging – it’s going to be for one of my Frankenbikes.

I may have to go for narrower because there doesn’t seem to be much in that size range with brake tracks.

dyna-ti

A Sun Ringle Double Wide is 45mm

Typically theres none currently on ebay but a load sold about august. Ask in Retrobike, that early is more their cup of tea.

SORRY, just realized its for brake pads.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Clicky

Plenty wide trials rims.

I have some reasonable nick mavic ex sonethings that must be 30ish mm atleast if you are interested i will measure. They are heavier than the heaviest thing.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Also on the trials front. The width works fine with V’s no?

Cantis less so unless you use a longer yoke?

5lab

I think trials riders preferred those magura brakes – no idea why but thats what I remembered from back in the day 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

I believe thats the case but some definitely use V-brakes.

I think because they want maximum grab and over modulation?

Superficial
    Free Member

I was going to suggest a trials rim, too.

Also on the trials front. The width works fine with V’s no?

Yes, can confirm. Plenty of trial riders use / used Maguras but good V-brakes are fine too.

In the early (pre v-brake) days, Maguras were niche but way more powerful than anything else so trials riders used them and continued to do so after trials-specific Magura pads / brae-boosters / levers were made. Maguras just kind of ‘stuck’ although I personally never saw much benefit over decent v-brakes.

Re: practicalities of using v-brakes with wide rims. Depending on the pad, sometimes you’ll have to switch the pad spacing washers around to maintain an optimum ‘vertical’ position of the brake arms, otherwise they are splayed out too wide with slightly reduced power – and you might catch your ankles. But nothing major.

epicyclo

This is what I’m up to.

Building a retro Rough Stuff bike the way a 1960s rider would have if he had wide tyres available. (Me being a 1960s rider 🙂 )

I’ve discovered after trying various rims that my ambitions exceeded the clearance available. With a 40mm rim I have about 2mm clearance at the chainstays.

The tyre is 58mm wide with a 40mm rim. With a 27mm it’s 56mm wide which allows better clearance.

I suspect the ideal is just over 30mm.

I can use the 27mm rims, but they’re single wall.

(Front is with a 27mm rim, rear is with a 40mm)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Source for wide 26″ rim for V-brakes’ is closed to new replies.