Sounds of Cycling – what makes you smile?

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Sounds of Cycling – what makes you smile?
  • bsims

That ‘gripping’ noise when you rail a berm really fast on hardpack.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

Silence.

Or the bacon-frying crackle of studded tyres on tarmac.

The change pitch from the free hub as you take off

The rasp of tyres holding grip under compression as you push into the apex of a turn.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

The schrumpffffff of tyres in a compression or berm

The sliding door of an uplift bus

My own ridiculously girly giggle when I get away with things

jedi

The sound of the woodwork as I ride along it. Glockenspiel. Love it

Premier Icon richardthird
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

The crack of a tubeless tyre as it snaps onto a rim.
    The ping of a tyre as it deflects off a rock.
    The sudden speeding up of the freewheel buzz as you take off.
    The rush of air sound as the dropper drops.
    The whurrrrr of a pedal assist motor. 😜

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

“Get a car you knob”.

Little do they know…

The ping of a stone being launched at warp speed out of the side of the tyre

stevious

The calls of curlews and lapwings up high in the North Pennines.

This (but in Scotland) was my first thought when I saw this thread.

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

The sound of a fast moving peloton, sounds good while in it but sounds awesome when watching one pass.
    The sound of deep carbon wheels, reminds me of a lightsaber.
    The moaning of my mate in the coffee shop about having not put enough air in his tyres….(it’s not the lack of air, it’s just not the conditions for his XC race tyre)

Premier Icon LAT
    Subscriber

SPD engaging

Tubeless tyre seating

Everything going quiet when the bike leaves the ground

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

The sounds of my kids laughter ahead of me down the trail.

faerie

I love the hollow sound of tyres rolling across dry compacted soil, especially on the exit of a berm. I also love the smells (not dead shrew, that follows you for ages) of the woods and the moors, they change depending on the weather and the season

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Up until 2 minutes ago, I’d have said the sound of tyres ripping round a berm.

But now it’s this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5qkNRlFzVF/?igshid=1ilkc8vqnc6wg

Tyres rolling over rock hard frosty grass

The absolute roaring silence of the sky on a cold and frosty night ride, as the stars look down.

Getting told off by woodpeckers when you surprise them.

Riding over the top of the Downs when a sky splitting lighting bolt rips the sky open above you.  Not so much a smilie but a scream of defiance back at it.

The high speed “pop pop pop” of Onza Octopus tyres on wet rock.

The absence of noise when both wheels leave the ground. Mmmmmm….

Premier Icon UK-FLATLANDER
    Subscriber

The “Angry Bee” as I freewheel down a long descent.

mattyfez

“the air of heaven is that which blows between a horses ears”

OK it’s a Mary townley quote, so a bit horsey but that’s why I ride a bike.

Also, hope hubs.

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

The THUD-THUD-THUD-THUD-THUD-THUD-THUD-THUD-silence as a ski lift goes under the first pylon out of the station. That, to me, means the game is on. I can be skiing, boarding or have my bike with me, I don’t care, I’m on my way up a mountain and it’s gonna be fun coming down.

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

jedi

The sound of the woodwork as I ride along it. Glockenspiel. Love it

I too love this!

Stevet1

Tioga Disc drive
    — End thread —

TiRed

Tour de France theme music.
    Silence on my fixed wheel.
    The bell in a race
    A coffee machine at a stop
    A trispoke wheel – well three in my case

antigee

fasthaggis

The sound of that first SPD ‘here we go’ click as you set off for the day

the day or maybe longer

that’s the one for me….”I love the sound of cleats in the morning” …..if Apocalypse Now hadn’t been about a horrifying war

zinaru

the sound of my hope hub, the song of a yellowhammer and that inner ear buzz of silence when you stop at the summit on a still day…

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Ice Spikers on sheet ice. And that weird whoomphing thing riding over undulating ground in summer where it’s hard to tell what’s sound and what’s sensation.

Premier Icon branes
    Subscriber

The CLUNK when I change to a smaller sprocket under power. Great when it’s my power, harbinger of doom when it’s a strong rider at the front of a chain gang.

Premier Icon clareymorris
    Subscriber

My friends reacting to the trail by making interesting high pitched noises!

ferrals

The ‘tearing velcro’ sound of tyres scrabbling for grip on grassy off-camber corners

The starting whistle and the sound of 25 spd’s clicking into place

the sound of a industrial box section orange five/patriot banging and clanging like a steel filing cabinet falling down a flight of concrete stairs.

Nob!

For me It would be the sound of the till going ‘KERCHING!’ when Ton fancied a new bike 🙂 😉

But really…just the satisfying ‘click’ of a Shimano cleat clipping in, or the ‘clicktion’ of my Hope rear hub.

Or the racket my 5 makes on rocky descents….

Premier Icon hardtailonly
    Subscriber

The crunchy sound of riding through dry autumn leaves (rarely heard this year, unfortunately …)

The receding sound of the breathing of the commuter you’ve finally, managed to drop after pedalling furiously for 3km just before you were about to turn off & collapse in exhaustion …

The sound of silence when you’ve been trying to fettle and align your cable disc brakes (cheap commuter obvs!) where previously there was a persistent ‘ding-ding-ding’ …

The ceasing of the sound of releasing air when the sealant in your tyres seals up a puncture …

The absence of creaking when you’ve regreased your BB …

The sound of not too distant traffic running parallel to a sweet bit of urban wooded Singletrack that you’re charging along rather than taking your chances with the traffic …

The sound of genuine apology from a dog-walker whose hound has just taken you out by charging into your front wheel …

Premier Icon spooky_b329
    Subscriber

Riding up a bridleway, all the summer wildflowers/grasses/seedpods are knee high and playing a musical tune as they bounce off the spokes.

Nothing like it for taking your mind off what is normally quite a steep climb :). I’d love to have got a sound clip but never experienced it at the same volume/note again!

The silence when you actually fix the creak that’s been bugging you for the last three months….

WINNER! I’d swear a bike even *feels* better once de-creaked.

Big +1 for Lapwings and Curlews, which I currently associate with the top of Langside road between Braco and Comrie, a lovely wee road climb I do quite often.

The ‘ping’ of a lightweight clincher with latex tubes when you flick it with your finger, a noise which just *sounds* fast and light.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

The sudden silence as both wheels leave the ground…. not often and not for long in my case!

pedlad

The shutting of the garage door, signifying I won the internal debate about going out and now it’s going to be fun.
    The shout ahead of “woah oh …..” followed by a giggle from a mate who went into a corner way to hot

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.