Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Sounds of Cycling – what makes you smile?
  • Daffy

For me, the sound of gravel pinging off a titanium tube. The Buzz of a perfectly lubed Chris King hub on a perfectly round wheel. The pinging sound that Hope floating rotors make when cooling down.

alexpalacefan

The buzz of knoblies when I’ve been riding the road bike.

The silence of road tyres when I’ve been out on the MTB.

APF

jonba
    Free Member

Di2 gear shift

Deep section carbon wheels

Riding gravel and stones and hearing them clattering.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I must ride with the wrong people, this is all that springs to mind

https://youtu.be/SGPErSMhqMM

martymac

Tubs singing when you really get going.

weeksy

my whoops in my own head and “ooooft” when i hit jumps and scare myself 🙂

epicyclo

The crunch of snow or the silence of fresh snow.

Gunz
    Free Member

The momentary silence as your wheels leave the ground and then the resumption as you land.

imnotverygood

The screech of shimano brakes when the calliper has leaked.

submarined
    Free Member

The ‘patpatpat’ of a tyre right on the limit of grip as you brake hard into a corner. About 41s into this

ton

the sound of a industrial box section orange five/patriot banging and clanging like a steel filing cabinet falling down a flight of concrete stairs.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The sound of cracking that gently warmed mid ride trail beer using one of my various bike components with handy beverage popper.

Marin
    Free Member

The sound of my front door closing as I head out. After this almost every sound is a winner in my world.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The ripping sound of a rear tyre with a squared off corner when it loses grip 🙂

easily
    Free Member

So many good sounds. Maybe a shift after I’ve just perfectly indexed my gears, or a freshly cleaned and lubed chain. Or when I’m cycling home late at night and I can hear the sound of my road tyres on smooth tarmac, something that’s usually smothered by city noise.

Least favourite sound: the squeal my front brake makes in the wet – I cannot get rid of it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The sound of cooking bacon from my ice spike tyre front drowning out the the chatter of the rear Jumbo Jim… Shame it makes anything but downhill quite hard work on the commute!

mrb123
    Free Member

The calls of curlews and lapwings up high in the North Pennines.

edhornby

the way the frequency of the pawl click changes as you corner

the wind rusting through the trees

downshep

Rasping farts after consuming high carb drinks never gets old.
    Hearing the wind in your ears as you start a well earned descent.
    The diminishing rumble of traffic as you head off road.
    The ‘electric tram’ noise as knobblies pick up speed.

benman
    Free Member

That ‘woah’ shout and nervous laugh when your riding buddy has a near miss, but you know they’re okay.

The pinging of tyres through a rock garden

The simple warning shouts used in a fast moving road group to keep everyone safe. Everyone relying on one another for group safety.

The call of ‘last man’ on the chain gang, when you know you have to pull your finger out and up the pace again…

crazy-legs

Di2 front mech auto trim.
    Deep section carbon wheels on a smooth surface.
    That moment of silence as you get air off a nice smooth gravel track and the soft whoompf of landing.
    The mewing call of red kites – admittedly this is a sound more limited to mid-Wales.

senorj

Hope pro2 buzz.
    My rumbling stomach.
    Dawn chorus.

kayak23

The thrump of slapping a loamy turn to perfection….brah 🤙

BigJohn

That “Oof!” when your mate behind you hits the deck.

qwerty
    Free Member

The karunchhk of riding over frozen puddles, breaking the ice, but staying dry 👌

big_scot_nanny

Floating rotors tinging, in the otherwise perfect quiet, as they cool down at end of a fabulous descent

fasthaggis

The sound of that first SPD ‘here we go’ click as you set off for the day 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Whiring of a chair lift roller with the gentle tinkling of alpin cow bells below.

philjunior
    Free Member

I like a good freehub and all the rest of it.

But what I really like? The forest/wilderness sounds when you stop for a second at the bottom of a trail after all the noise and concentration of the descent, it really emphasizes how nice and peaceful the places we ride are.

rascal
    Free Member

Your front tyre breaking through the icy crust on top of a puddle.
    A Hope hub buzzing away – even better when there’s loads doing so at the same time.
    A 100psi 25mm road tyre on a smooth road at 25mph.
    Scree being dislodged as you brake making a turn…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The last puff of the chainsaw when I’ve just cleared a section of new trail, and the ensuing excitement of getting to ride said trail, and the lingering smell of 2 stroke that accompanies it all….

ThePinkster

The momentary silence as your wheels leave the ground and then the resumption as you land.

^This^

That ‘woah’ shout and nervous laugh when your riding buddy has a near miss, but you know they’re okay.

^That^

and

the almost schoolgirlish giggles after sharing the experience of cleaning a new downhill section crazily fast with your riding buddies.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Chesil Beach stones under fat tyres.

russyh
    Free Member

I love the soft ‘chirp’ of suspension dampening on fast repeated hits.  That and the silence of a well sorted bike coupled with the sound of tyres struggling for grip on proper natural trails

k1100t
    Free Member

The distant sound of the morning commute on a dual carriageway, as you whizz down a bridleway.

anono

The silence when you actually fix the creak that’s been bugging you for the last three months….

tnrbilly
    Free Member

The sound of your mate yelling “My Gran can ride faster than this”, a split second before he wipes out and goes over the bars.

Paceman
    Free Member

The sound of nobbly tyres on loam.

And that shared giggle through the group when someone has a ‘moment’ 🙂

trumpton
    Free Member

the noise my v brakes make when grabbing the wheel on my commuter in the wet.

crazy-legs

The ripping noise of tyres going through an ice-encrusted puddle.
    The rumble of a group on the banking of a velodrome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Sounds of Cycling – what makes you smile?’ is closed to new replies.