Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Soundbars – any good?
  • RustySpanner

We’ve got an LG telly – great picture, crap sound.

Looking at a couple of the LG soundbars at Richer Sounds.

How do they connect – 1 HDMI cable to the telly?
    Do I have to plug the Blu Ray player & the Wii into the soundbar separately?
    Are they any good?
    Worth going for one with a sub?

Ta in advance.

soundninjauk

When I looked at this I thought that you could pay quite a lot for a soundbar and not necessarily get anything great. I’ve got a set of these and I reckon they’re pretty good, certainly infinitely better than the TV speakers. Just a jack cable into the TV audio out, and that deals with everything (tv, blu ray, xbox etc.).

Caher

The salesman at Richer Sounds told me they were really for people who lived in phone boxes (although not of the Tardis variety).
    So i got an Onkyo home cinema thing of Amazon and it is the dogs lower parts.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dknwhy

I’ve got the LG one with wireless sub and it’s a massive improvement. I don’t live in a phone box either. Not as good as having a full surround system but in terms of price (£139 I think)and the tiny space it takes up, along with ease of installation, it’s ideal.
    It connects to the TV via an audio cable. Sub is wireless (bar power cable)and can go anywhere in the room.
    All my stuff is wired through the telly by hdmi but you can plug an hdmi lead or two into it too. Bluetooth on it is a bit pony though when connected to by Macbook – keeps cutting out.
    Remote works the tv sound and av input so you can get away with ditching the TV remote if you use Cable/Sky etc…

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you just want to give your telly sound a bit of a boost then they’re ok. If you want anything like a proper surround sound system then the only ones that apparently come close are the top end Yamaha ones (starting with the YPS-2200 at around 750 quid.)

grahamg
    Free Member

Just having the ‘hi-fi’ speakers (I’ve got fairly cheap separates and floor standing speakers) being fed from the TV makes everything ace. Can’t be bothered with all this surround sound malarky.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Tempted by a Sonos soundbar as I already have quite a few Sonos speakers. Don’t really like watching TV much though, so probably a waste of money.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 dknwhy I got the same Panasonic one and its good value for money I doubt I would appreciate a £750 sound bar! Looks great on wall and no wires to wifi woofer or DVD etc. Also plays I phone blue ray etc gets my vote

specialone
    Free Member

I’ve got a panasonic one hooked up to my LG, much better sound than the TV speakers. Gives you the depth that flatscreen speakers don’t, mine is hooked up through HDMI lead into the ARC output. This allows you to control it with your TV remote. Great piece of kit, it pretty much replaces the TV speaker so all you other equipment just plugs in as normal to the TV

johndoh
    Free Member

Grahamg – I did what you did (Sony FA3ES linked to some Tannoy AV speakers) and it was okay, but the sound needed to be up loud to really appreciate it (dialogue was often hard to hear clearly at ‘normal’ volumes).

But the LG soundbar I got is fantastic – great range, links to my iPhone via Bluetooth so I can play music over it, wireless sub-woofer.

And I got it for £180 on offer at PC World.

BTW – soundbars are usually 2.1, not surround 😉

DrP

Rusty – see here for a conclusive review….

DrP

RustySpanner

Cheers DrP, just what I was after, much appreciated.

Nice stereo system in the other room, just fancy a ‘better’ sound for the TV without all the arsing about of a home cinema set up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I looked at the same and in the end thought the soundbars were quite expensive for what they were, I wanted something for TV sound plus music (streamed via Apple TV), don’t want all the “boxes” for surround sound. In the end I decided to go with some Bose Companion 20 (£200) which are basically premium priced pc speakers but flexible and sound good. If I had a useable stereo system I would have connected that up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Soundbars – any good?’ is closed to new replies.