• This topic has 28 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sound system for the garage – what have you got?
  • Premier Icon RustySpanner

Hiya.

Currently have an old Sony boom box for the garage – very good sound quality but the CD player has packed up.

All the new equivalents seem a bit rubbish and very cheaply built.

Local HiFi place have an Aiwa micro for £50, excellent condition and decent build.

Just pondering alternatives.

Garage out of WiFi range, so needs to be old school.

Needs to have CD and radio as a minimum.

Cassette would be nice 🙂 (ask yer Gran).

DAB and either Bluetooth or an aux input would be a bonus.

What are you using?

All suggestions welcome, ta!

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

1980s technics tuner and 5 disk  CD multi changer from a stack wired into some mission LX2

all off ebay locally for less  than 100 quid

Ive got a componants to 3.5 lead – which lets me feed it from a DAb /MP3/Phone / previously an apple airport express….

Old school but when the machines come for me ill still have my music and it wont sound horrific like the old cheap shit stereo i used to have in there.(mostly the speakers were shit)

Premier Icon richmars

1990’s Sony speakers with built in amps. So I can plug the mp3 player or phone into them.

Also cheap Tesco digital radio for the F1.

Premier Icon onandon
    Free Member

Jbl control 1 pro monitors. The old good ones, not the newer cheap crap.

yamaha twin 8 inch active sub.

Yamaha mini system with amp, cd, etc

Super clear mids and highs with bass that drops lower than Satan’s ball bag.

Premier Icon angeldust
    Free Member

Not worth spending too much on the garage, unless…..use it as an excuse to upgrade the Hi-Fi, and move the old one into the garage?

Premier Icon esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A smallish Sony affair that used to belong to a prisoner but I *nicked it & brought it home.

*He actually signed it off his property card when he got released so in effect didn’t belong to anyone.

Premier Icon onandon
    Free Member

Depends if that’s the only place you get to listen to music.

Premier Icon RustySpanner

Noooo, proper upstairs mancave HiFi is pretty much perfect after 40 odd years of pissing about (apart from needing a new cartridge for the Rega).

I could ‘upgrade’ the old Denon micro under the telly downstairs, but that would be a couple of hundred quid for a new one – not just yet.

Have some spare speakers (the old Denon/Missions) from the aforementioned micro, so a quality, secondhand all in one would seem to be the way forward.

Power sockets limited too, so separates probably not the best idea. Bit pricey too if budgeting for an amp, decent CD player, cassette deck and tuner.

Premier Icon stumpy01

Does the stereo have an aux in?

If so, you could get a second hand cd player to plug in?

I currently use my phone and a Bluetooth speaker, but have a Sony minidisc (!) system waiting to go in there when I get round to it which I’ll probably stick a Chromecast Audio into…

Premier Icon RustySpanner

Sadly not.

A smallish Sony affair that used to belong to a prisoner but I *nicked it & brought it home.

We’ve had a couple of patients leave this week. The spoils were divided amongst other members of the Naughty Boys Club.  🙂

I think all the sound systems in our place only play hardcore techno anyway….

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Depends if that’s the only place you get to listen to music.

It is for me.  I have a Nad CD player and Nad Amp wth some Wharfedale speakers and it sounds great.

Only problem is it plays up in the middle of winter when it is cold and damp but don’t spend as much time in garage at that time of year anyway.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

I’ve got an Evoke DAB single speaker jobbie.

Bluetooth and Aux in.

Not audiophile in anyway, but good enough for the garage…

Premier Icon Gunz

2 X AA battery pocket radio, repaired multiple times over the last 20 years but good enough for radio 4.

Premier Icon siwhite
    Free Member

Amazon Echo Dot which bluetooths to a cheapo soundbar. Works well, aside from the fact that I can never remember what sort of music I like…

Premier Icon sas78

Got one of those aukey Bluetooth receivers from Amazon and the sound quality is pretty decent to stream from a phone. That might be worth a look? Otherwise I picked up a teac cr525 micro with dab from gumtree for 40 a couple years ago, it’s ace.

Premier Icon dufresneorama
    Free Member

Tesco dab radio…

Premier Icon eviljoe

Minirig

Premier Icon stevied
    Free Member

Technics 5 disc multiplayer with double (autoreverse) cassete.

Need to connect my Technics direct drive turntable too.

5 speaker “surround sound” and use a 3.5mm plug for my phone.

Premier Icon Dickyboy

My first bit of hifi – a now 36yr old rotel receiver & lead to plug in the phone

Premier Icon bear-uk
    Free Member

Have a look at your local auction house. Loads of good gear for next to nothing as no one wants it.

Premier Icon bear-uk
    Free Member

Just to add I wired up a router and to mine and use my phone and a Bluetooth speaker but it cost about £50 all in.

Premier Icon bigG
    Free Member

A B&W zeppelin with a Bluetooth adaptor plugged in so I can stream radio 6/Spotify etc. House is now all sonos’d up so it was just gathering dust in my study.

Sounds epic and is just about loud enough to drown out the noises the kids make playing in the garden

Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

God, this website is terrible. 5 minutes to be able to type and auto correct malfunctions.

<h1 id=”itemHeader” class=”it-ttl”>CMT-SBT20</h1>

And now it has put simple small text massive.

This is loud enough to fill the area around the shed, no tape but everything else.

Premier Icon superleggero

1971 Grundig Yacht Boy radio with a Bluetooth adapter plugged into aux socket. Connects to music and Dab radio through phone’s Bluetooth.

Premier Icon colp

Raspberry Pi with big old TV as monitor and an old PC 4+1 speaker set.

So I can web browse, get tech manuals etc and the PI has my main house music library mapped as a drive so all my stored music, or YouTube etc

Premier Icon unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I have actual famous  artists  come round and perform acoustic sets in my garage/man cave of 5000sqm.

Occasionally I’ll turn on the old valve amp so  I can listen to R4

Premier Icon muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Almost the same as on and on.

Yamaha mini system and JBL control one speakers. Retired to the shed because the volume button was playing up so you need to use the remote to adjust the volume.

Premier Icon fossy

Mains Wifi booster – thats how I get wifi and ethernet out to my garage.

Only got a crappy portable radio cassette in mine.

Premier Icon DezB
    Free Member

Sony Micro system with iPod doc. Just play my ipod like I do in the car, on the bike and at work… different iPod for each 🙂

Couldnt be doing with mucking about changing CDs in the garage

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sound system for the garage – what have you got?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.