• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by rhys.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SOT Kayakists of ST – Waterproof Pants
  • ginsterdrz
    Free Member

We’ve just entered the world of sit on top kayaking.

Only downside is a wet ar5e over prolonged paddling adventures.

Do we go down the more expensive Yak Chinook dry trouser (£89) or do hiking waterproof overtrousers do the job?

jam-bo

Not SOT but I generally wear a set of Nookie 3/4 neoprene shorts unless it’s really cold then I get the dry suit out.

grahamt1980

Dry trousers if you can afford them, they do as expected which is keep you dry if you go in the water.
    Overtrousers won’t do that

jam-bo

In my experience, dry trousers don’t keep you dry if you go in the water. The big hole at the top makes sure of that.

db

Depending on the SoT and where you paddle you can get bungs to plug the drain holes. Clearly only works if you’re on flat water and not getting waves over you.

I used to run these years ago on my ocean kayaks when we were just pottering on a flat river/lake.

Otherwise its dry trousers which I tend to wear canoeing or full dry suit if I’m kayaking and there is a possibility of a swim (which with my skills is between often and frequent!)

swavis

I’ve been using Peak UK shorts and a Palm cag and putting up with a soggy bum now and again, but think I’m going to go for a full dry suit for the cooler days & months. I’ve tried with a wetsuit but it’s too restrictive.

poly
    Free Member

I’ve been using Peak UK shorts and a Palm cag and putting up with a soggy bum now and again, but think I’m going to go for a full dry suit for the cooler days & months. I’ve tried with a wetsuit but it’s too restrictive.

I’ve mostly just accepted a wet bum, but I only use it in the summer albeit in Scotland. I do have a drysuit but as I’m a fair weather paddler I usually find that you just end up wet with sweat instead (there’s a limit to breathability). Depending on the weather, duration of paddle etc I do wear a long john / farmer john wetsuit and don’t find that restricts mobility. Have been considering neoprene shorts for nicer days when the wetsuit is too hot.

thenorthwind

I got some Nookie dry trousers for packrafting. Double waisted, shoulder straps, built-in socks, fly. They were expensive, but they’re the business, and make the whole experience much more enjoyable. With a cag, they’re almost as good as drysuit. I used waterproof overtrousers a few times and you might as well not bother.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I ended up buying and alpacka packrafting dry suit that’s much lighter than normal so breathable.

Brilliant bit of kit and was only a hundred quid second hand.

kayak23

A lot of the water comes from it dripping off your paddle on the opposite stroke.
    Have you got some of them rubber rings on your paddle near the blades?
    These can help with that.

I’ve got some Nookie troos that are perfect for that.
    I never would wear a full dry suit kayaking even when getting on the river in the snow in the highlands. A two-piece set up would generally keep you pretty dry unless you had a prolonged swim.

For a SOT where you’re presumably on flat water most of the time, some decent trousers and a semi-dry top with a more comfortable neoprene neck would probably do you.

I think hiking trousers would wet-out fairly quick.

Nothing to stop you using regular waterproof walking trousers if you don’t usually swim much.

thenorthwind

@yourguitarhero

I ended up buying and alpacka packrafting dry suit that’s much lighter than normal so breathable.

Brilliant bit of kit and was only a hundred quid second hand.

Bloody hell, you did well there! They’re at least £600 new and I’ve never seen one for sale in this country. I spent quite a while looking for a second hand drysuit, but they were all expensive or a bit f**ked.

matt_outandabout

In my experience, dry trousers don’t keep you dry if you go in the water. The big hole at the top makes sure of that.

That is because you are meant to wear a connecting dry top 😉

Dry trousers /drysuit for the win here.

A step down is a wetsuit, sealed seam one though.

The real solution is a canoe or kayak with deck… N+1

longdog
    Free Member

In the past kayak sea fishing on a SOT I’ve used waders with a waist beltand dry cag, farmer John’s (sometime with walking waterproof trousers over the top for wind proofing) and dry cag on top.

But getting a cheap watersports drysuit was a game changer, so much less faff and more comfy. Obviously can get a bit hot in summer, even up north, but just worth it.

In a proper sea kayak I’ve either had farmer John’s and a dry cag or the full drysuit. Still prefer the dry suit.

Sadly knackered wrists mean I’ve sold up and not gone out for years

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

@thenorthwind backcountry Scot had two! My pal bought the other. He was talking about selling it….

poolman
    Free Member

I was out yesterday on the sit on top, I would just get a wet bum and keep your top half warm and dry. I used to sail dinghies all year and wore a dry suit in winter, it was a standing joke in the dinghy park soon as you got warm you wanted to go for a wee, it was a nightmare if you were miles away.

When it gets cold I have a shorty wetsuit, the lifejacket is q warm.

Top idea ‘re filling in the drainage holes but also if you catch a wave you may get swamped.

thenorthwind

@yourguitarhero wish I’d spotted that. The dry trousers are working out pretty well for me, but there’s definitely situations where a packable drysuit would be nice. Feel free to point your friend my way if he’s selling it… Though I know what he paid for it now!

rhys
    Free Member
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SOT Kayakists of ST – Waterproof Pants’ is closed to new replies.