Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sorting a full sus frame for powder coating
  • kendo954
    Free Member

Some info please

will be getting my alpine powder coated, was going to use orange but at £200 plus postage etc i decided to look locally.

found a place that will blast it and coat any colour for £70

So obviously iv to take everything off before dropping it in, what should i do to with bb threads, headset and pivot etc to protect them when blasting and to ensure they dont get covered in coating?

old bb left on? etc etc?

cheers
    kendo

bencooper
    Free Member

Take all the bearings and pivots out – absolutely everything. If the powdercoater doesn’t know how or what to mask off, go elsewhere.

I recently had to sort a frame that had been powdercoated with the bearings in – funnily enough, bearings don’t like being dipped, coated in paint, and baked in an oven.

kendo954
    Free Member

Cheers

Cp – interesting reading

Maybe stick with orange!!!

toys19
    Free Member

kendo, I would.

kendo954
    Free Member

Yep, only reason I thought of doing it local (apart from saving a bit of cash) is the up to 3 week turnaround …

But better safe than sorry

coatesy
    Free Member

A customer of ours tried the “save a few quid, and have a quicker turnaround” approach, and ended up with a scrap Five frame and a legal bill too. Despite their assurances that they knew what they were doing, his frame ended up covered in pock marks, waves where it used to be flat, and bearings that rattled around on their shafts/in their housings. He took the company to court, and despite all of the evidence, lost the case.Draw your own conclusions from this, but i’d be using Orange myself.

Edric64
    Free Member

I would use Orange or Argos or any firm that specializes in bikes for a full suss frame.

renton
    Free Member

Fastlinecoatings !!

My bike is on its way back from there as we speak!
    will post some pics up when I get it .

xiphon
    Free Member

These guys did a top job on my sparkly orange Orange.

http://www.superiorpowdercoatings.co.uk/

Found the company from a thread here on STW – when the ‘community’ built an adult push bike (for someone’s nephew?) The MD from the above company did the paintwork on the project.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sorting a full sus frame for powder coating’ is closed to new replies.