Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sort of on topic… Just backed my first Kickstart project!
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

I like this idea, and I thought some of you guys might want in to:

Nice idea, but I can’t help thinking that if phone manufacturers can fit a GPS receiver inside a phone, it won’t be long before they fit a thermometer in there as well, making this obsolete.

You could always buy one of these for £1, then prise the thermometer bit off and stick it on the back of your phone.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Saw this earlier this morning, it’s nicely implemented but not once in my time on this planet have I been that bothered about knowing what the air temperature around me is. Don’t think this one’s for me.

GrahamS

Cute implementation, but I don’t see the point.

Surely it would be better to do a little Bluetooth Smart thermometer which would use the existing BTLE Temperature protocol (and so be compatible with more apps and other devices)?

That would also let you have the thermometer part separate from the phone: handy if you want to know outside air temp without hanging your phone out the window.

cp

Pointless. My edge 800 has built in thermometer… it wont be long before smart phones do too I would imagine. Though why you’d want to know the temp or your pocket 🙂

Or as above – a bluetooth unit would be more beneficial in more cases as you can actually put it somewhere you want to know the temp of.

andytherocketeer

I can’t help thinking that if phone manufacturers can fit a GPS receiver inside a phone, it won’t be long before they fit a thermometer in there as well

GPS chip has a temperature sensor inside it anyway, so that it can provide compensation for the internal oscillator.
    With the right key combo on Garmin devices, you can get it to display the temperature. Might not be so accurate in a phone that is generating more heat internally.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I don’t plan to leave it in my phone, I will have it on my bag then I can see the temperature when I plug it in without my body or phone affecting the reading.

Or have it when I am working, then I can see the ambient temp.

I like to know what the temperature is. I don’t know why.

nickjb
    Free Member

It is neat but it sounds like Graham’s Bluetooth idea would suit you better, though.

You can already get little usb temperature loggers that you plug into a PC. Might even work with phone via OTG

unovolo
    Free Member

I just use the weather app on my phone to give me a rough idea,as long as its within a couple of degrees accuracy then I’m happy.
    Plus I know what temps are going to be thru the day so can dress accordingly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sort of on topic… Just backed my first Kickstart project!’ is closed to new replies.