• This topic has 31 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by lamp.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Sorry your TV is no longer compatible….
  • white101

After the last few months of streaming Disney + and Apple Tv from my ipad to my TV I am now unable to watch anything as my TV is apparently no longer compatible with the apps.

Anybody else?

sirromj

#EatTheRich

CountZero

That, unfortunately, is the price you pay for buying a ‘smart TV’. It’s been obvious for some time that manufacturers will stop updating the apps they install on the set’s OS, it’s no different to phone manufacturers, who are often making the TV sets as well.
    Your option is a box like an AppleTV, Romulo, Firestick, or something like that.
    I don’t know what will work best in your circumstances, my telly is 13 years old, and doesn’t have any so-called ‘Smart’ bollocks, I’ve got a Sky box and my Mac Mini hooked up to it, and when it’s finally replaced, it’ll be used as a dumb screen, I don’t want any smart stuff working on it.

Poopscoop

I agree. I only get a smart TV as you basically have to these days. Outs a hugely cynical way of making a tv “obsolete”. Though it’s easy to get around.

The PC and to a greater extent, Chromecast is my solution.

Ironically the best supported tv I’ve had is a cheap Hisense tv!

Cougar

What CZ said.

Most “smart” TVs are shit at their smarts unless you pay megabucks. Fortunately set-top box type smarts are pence. Chromecast, Firestick and a supporting cast of thousands, in my stack it’s the Xbox doing most of the heavy lifting.

white101

Well, its not a smart TV its an 8yr old Samsung plasma and I’m running the casting through a 4K Apple TV box. I get my TV via Virgin and a Tivo box, the App is on an iPad bang up to date with the latest ios.

zilog6128

Doesn’t make any sense to me as you’ve described it. TV type is irrelevant in your setup as it’s just taking HDMI output from the aTV? Have you tried using the aTV apps directly rather than AirPlaying it from your iPad?

white101

Right, I have dowsed the flaming torches and laid down my pitchfork, the new router that came from Virgin today and a (severe) senior moment is the cause.

I need to put the new wifi and password into the Apple TV and it will solve my problems, 264 items that need wifi in the house and I forgot one. 1st world bloody problems.

phil5556

264?? 😳

garage-dweller

264 items that need wifi in the house

That’s one teenager living at home then.

aP
    Free Member

264? We’d struggle to reach 20.

Cougar

And the Switch ain’t one?

timmys

If you have an AppleTV box why are you casting Disney+ And AppleTV to it from an iPad? Just use the relevant apps on the AppleTV. It will look a lot better, casting stuff introduces compression to an extent you’re going to see artefacts that you wouldn’t get playing it direct on the AppleTV.

Superficial
    Free Member

casting stuff introduces compression

Does it? I thought that casting simply asked the TV / box to download the video stream directly. In effect, your phone is just sending a link to content.

I don’t use casting much, happy to be proven wrong on this.

timmys

Does it? I thought that casting simply asked the TV / box to download the video stream directly. In effect, your phone is just sending a link to content.

I don’t use casting much, happy to be proven wrong on this.

I’d say that is the ‘using your phone as a sophisticated remote’, which is something YouTube does for instance, but those apps don’t as far as i know.

To me casting is streaming the content to device and then using Airplay to display the device video on the TV, and appears to be what the poster is doing.

I used to do the Airplay thing with BT Sport before they made an actual AppleTV app and it was horrible to look at.

gfsracing
    Free Member

just by a firestick this will always be up to date

timmys

That would be a bit silly as he already has a much high-spec streaming device. It’s just unclear why he is not using it properly.

akira

Small clap for Cougar.

lister

“Cougar
    Subscriber

And the Switch ain’t one?“

Chapeau sir! 😂

BigJohn

I bought a new wi-fi router to boost the speed around the house. I made sure that I first changed the name and password of the Virgin Hub 3 then set up my TP link Archer with virgin’s original login so none of the 20 or so devices had to be changed.

mogrim

Until your version of the Firestick is no longer supported, of course.

white101

264 may have been an exaggeration due to it being nigh on midnight when I realised and I had spent the day changing passwords on all sorts of stuff around the house.

Wish I had thought about changing the name of the new router and just letting everything connect as normal.

I just AirPlay the the show whatever it is from the app on my iPad to the tv via the Apple TV box, we’ve already established my tech knowledge is woeful so I won’t be changing anything soon for fearing of the tv disappearing in a black hole. The Apple TV is a work tool and I think this is the second time I’ve used it.

Cougar – nice line, though I did have to look up what a switch was.

Superficial
    Free Member

To me casting is streaming the content to device and then using Airplay to display the device video on the TV, and appears to be what the poster is doing.

Airplay can do one of two things – it can redirect the stream to the remote device (in this case, an Apple TV), or it can ‘mirror’ your device. The latter involves a load of computing power to compress the screen output and send it to the aTV; the amount of compression depends on wifi speed etc.

Most times I’ve used my iPad–>aTV, it does the former but for some streams you have to use the mirroring function (which, as you say, is poorer quality).

roverpig

@Cougar Ooh that is good 🙂

Cougar

Cougar – nice line, though I did have to look up what a switch was.

Sorry, I didn’t Nintend to confuse.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Gamecube, set and match.

fooman

264 items that need wifi in the house and I forgot one

Just give your new wifi router the old id and password

prettygreenparrot

Just give your new wifi router the old id and password

this. Unless you like the anonymity of ‘VM$$$$$$$’

ratherbeintobago

@white101 Its really easy to put the Disney+ app on the aTV, you know.

AlexSimon

Impressive Cougar – it took me a minute, which is always a good sign.

slowoldman

Your option is a box like an AppleTV,

Well that’s not future proof either. My Apple TV no longer works from apps on the iPad, I need the current model. I can still use mirroring from the MacBook but it’s not ideal.

Just another instance of the hardware/software arms race.

lamp
    Free Member

264 nodes on a home network….the first Class A subnet on a Sky router ever! 😀

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Sorry your TV is no longer compatible….’ is closed to new replies.