Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • sorry, waterproof shorts time
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ideally something lightweight, rather than burly, as it’s for, well, muddy local rides on easier trails [cough] maybe you could call it gravel… Shorter is better too, as I don’t wear kneepads on these rides.

The Endura MTR waterproof shorts look tempting.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1575738

Any ideas/recommendations? (other than cutoff army things)

SirHC

Hate to say it, but a rear mudguard. If you are going to ride a silly looking bike, you may as well do it properly.

hardtailonly

I’ve just got a pair of the Morvelo Overland Selector shorts for … ahem … gravel riding. Purportedly waterproof, but I haven’t tried them yet. Lovely cut and fit though.

Down to £56 on CRC/Wiggle. (But in the description, there is no mention of them being waterproof … 🤔)

footflaps

The Endura MTR waterproof shorts look tempting.

Only £50 at Evans Cycles

scc999

Only £50 at Evans Cycles

Only L and XL size – but still a good price!

chakaping
    Free Member

Maidson Zenith waterproof shorts are good, if they still make them

footflaps

Only L and XL size – but still a good price!

Just ordered the L to try for size…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

good spot, unfortunately I’m a M

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If you are going to ride a silly looking bike

It’s not a gravel bike BTW. It’s a very cool rigid 29er ;o)

ceept

I’ve just got the Polaris ones for £30. Seem ok so far. Ask again next week once I’ve worn them for the ‘puffer…

duncancallum

Polaris kit at the moments great value.

I’ve Tenn and endura. The endura is much lighter to wear

Cheezpleez

Ta for the Evans tip! Ordered

z1ppy

Polaris for me at the moment as my trusty Altura’s have finally died. The Polaris are basic with no pockets or fly, pretty long legs & I use braces with all my shorts, so can’t comment on the elastic waist band. They’re doing the job, & in these conditions that’s pretty high praise.

DavidB
    Free Member

Ground Effect Helter Skelters. Ace Nz company and top shorts.

nickc

Bought the “properly waterproof” versions of the Endura MT500 shorts, medium on my 32-ish waist is a bit saggy though. seem well made seams all taped, and hopefully a bit better than the “shower proof” version…(who does two version of a waterproof shorts, where one is only “a bit” waterproof..?)

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Madison DTE waterproof shorts seem really good. Only worn once, but the lining kept my legs warm and water beaded well. I got mine from Biketart on offer. Well worth a look.

ceept

@z1ppy what braces do you use?
    Thanks.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

how do the Madison DTEs size up #mrwhyte ?

I’m usually a medium in Madisons (76kg, 33in waste).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my endura mtr waterproof shorts have just disintegrated!

the seams inside have come apart, and the arse is ripped/gritted to death – shame really as the out shell on the front is still like new

ive only had them 2 years and only get used in winter (probs from November till march) so a bit disappointing

wouldn’t buy again, but they do work well in terms of waterproofness

edlong
    Free Member

Are people more flush these days? I’m sure all the “what waterproof shorts?” threads on here used to open to a chorus of “cheap military surplus over-trousers, cut off” or was that a different forum I’m getting confused with?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

The Madison’s Reggie are a great fit, I am a 32″ waist and they still have a bit of room, so I’d imagine a M would be a good fit for you. Not overly baggy on the legs either.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Polaris waterproof shorts. £30 at the moment.
    Used through 2 winters and apart from reproofing from time to time no issues.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers #mrwhyte

Are the Polaris ones quite long though? They look quite long on the photos.

z1ppy

@ceept, I’ve used cheap one previously but after a very annoying ride, where the clips failed. Since then I’ve gone with Oregon 562411 Logger trouser braces.
    I’m not sure which set lightfighter bought, but mine didn’t come with braces/straps

ceept

Thanks @z1ppy. My (£30) ones didn’t come with braces, there are other more expensive ones with a longer back panel which do I think.

Do you find the medal clips on the braces damage the shorts?

ceept

@reggiegasket yes, mine are just below the knee, which nicely overlaps with knee length sealskins.

footflaps

Polaris ones only seem to be available in XL at £30…..

duncancallum

Polaris also do a half waterproof short that’s my favourite as above got braces and an extended lower back so you dont get a crack full of grit

footflaps

I like the look of the half one, but is it just the seat that is waterproof?

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Discovery-Zoned-Trail-Shorts-with-Detachable-Brace-p/pol01-7057-p.htm

darkroomtim
    Free Member

For filthy and wet rides can’t beat a DirtSuit – love mine

mccraque

I shelled out on some expensive Gore Goretex ones. They are utter SHYTE. They’re not that waterproof and also they aren’t durable. Already ironed goretex repair patches onto the backside where they’re going through after just a couple of rides.

My Endura MT500’s – I had to patch them too after a season of soggy arsed rides, but got about 3 years from them.

Alpine Stars – going strong after a few months.

z1ppy

opps checking, yes it the AM500 I’m talking about & polaris have only have XL left…. and they do have pocket, they’re just not very big, my iphone 5 won’t sit in them comfortably.

@ceept
    , the brace clips do cause some damaged, but not enough they rip them to pieces in a couple of uses, as I’ve always found belt on mtb shorts to be completely useless, so it’s better than nothing. Those Oregon braces do have a large 2cm wide clip which don’t seem to cause too much damage, yet won’t pull off.

I’d love one of those Dirtlej Dirtsuit, and no doubt they’re a great investment, and will pay you back over time, but I’m doubting they’d look as good on me with my extensive gut.

ceept

Thanks @z1ppy. Ordered some from Screwfix for collection tomorrow.👍

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Madison shorts are terrific.

jsync

AM 500 shorts available in a couple of Go Outdoors stores for £37.50.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

gonna pull the trigger on some Madison DTEs I think.

Polaris and 7mesh are too long for this application. Gore seem hit and miss.

hainman
    Free Member

I have a pair of the Fox waterproof shorts and they have been awesome,Also has a pair of the older Madison Storm which I think are DTE now
    And they were superb too but eventually the seam has came away at the butt so I’ll be sending back as they have lifetime warranty(well so they say)

I had the Endura Mt spray ones that had an issue with the taped seams and they replaced them after a couple of years

duncancallum

I like the look of the half one, but is it just the seat that is waterproof?

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Discovery-Zoned-Trail-Shorts-with-Detachable-Brace-p/pol01-7057-p.htm

Yes. They’re my favourite short. Though they’re tight on thigh cut.

I’m on xl with them large fit my waist but not my thighs

footflaps

Yes. They’re my favourite short. Though they’re tight on thigh cut.

I am looking for some waterproof shorts for hill walking, but I’d want all round waterproof ness rather than just the seat….

how do the Madison DTEs size up

I have a pair, I’m a 34″ waist for trousers and have the large DTE. They’re ok, but I dislike the velcro waist band adjuster, just catches on everything and ruins T shirts etc; would much prefer belt loops.

timbog160

Lols at @edlong. I’m a confirmed surplus mtp goretex user, for shorts/trousers at least, but people don’t seem to take much notice so I gave up!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘sorry, waterproof shorts time’ is closed to new replies.