Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • SORRY! Tell me your prefered do it all tyres
  • christof
    Free Member

Sorry to do this, but tell me your favorite do it all tyres
    I’m running panaracer xc fire pros at the minute, but they are not long for this world. I’m not sure.whether to get the same again or try something new?
    Maybe nobby nics as on one have them on offer.
    Sorry again!

richmtb

If you like Panaracers, try Cinders. Good in all conditions but a bit draggy

zigzag69
    Free Member

Keep coming back to Kenda Nevegal Stick-E. Great all-rounder.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nobby nics are a bit marmite I find. I quite like them in most weathers/conditions, others hate them. Also come up a but small for 2.1’s in my experience.

Depending on your tyre clearances, you might want to try Schwalbe Hans Dampf or On-one smorgasbord: mates have a couple of sets of each and rave about them over previous tyres. iirc they both come in 2 different compounds, the stickier compounds are better but more expensive.

wwaswas

26ers?

I love my Intense System 5’s for pretty much year round use.

greeble
    Free Member

been using maxxis ignitors and minion/high rollers all perform great

trickydisco
    Free Member

super tacky high roller on the front and anything on the back

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Can’t fault Kendas, Nevegals and Blue Groovys. Bit big when in the 2.35 guise. Massive compared to MAXXIS 2.35s but still an ace tyre last ages, loads of grip and surprisingly light.

Toasty

Loving my new Chunky Monkey on the front 🙂 Used to run Nics tubeless but they always felt far too soft, the Monkey is quite a bit heftier. Using a Smorgasbord on the back, but to be honest it’s probably overkill, the Ardent I had on before was probably a better compromise.

timraven

I really like Conti’s 2.2 Black chili tubeless Rubber Queens, they are expensive but they last a long time, are predictable and grip well in most conditions.

It may have been said before but, different suit different people.

BTW, I used to really rate Panaracers, but they lack something nowadays IMHO, of course.

trusty

Sorry for a hijack, but the on one smorgasbord is on offer for £12.50ish… 2 quick questions, are they tubeless ready and is it worth a swap from the spesh eskars I’m running at the moment?

Steve

crush83
    Free Member

i run Maxxis HighRoller II 2.4 EXO front and rear on my Crush, real confidence inspiring and lovely and grippy! run them all year round all conditions. Did fantastic in the snow a few weeks back paddled through the mud of last year and go well in the dry (when there is some!)

Northwind

Depends on your “all”. I think my most favouritest tyerz evars would be a Butcher Control on the front and a DTC Nevegal (deknobbed) on the back- not found anything that won’t do pretty well. But they’re pretty slow, for road and simple XC work they’re grim. So then it just comes down to where you make your compromise, and I’d sooner sweat on the climbs than crash in the mud 😉

But if you’re not as into sloppy slippy steepy stuff then there’s no need for that much grip.

makeitorange
    Free Member

Maxxis minion front and High roller rear all year round for me. In the rare event that it’s too muddy for them then its probably too muddy to be much fun anyway (south downs chalky mud)

greeble
    Free Member

Maxxis minion front and High roller rear all year round for me.

swap them over.

Bucko

swap them over.

Or change the HR for another DHF.

endurogangster
    Free Member

I use a dual ply maxxis swamp thing 2.5 super tacky on the back and schwalbe big apple on the front, all year round!

mrplow
    Free Member

Minion DHF front, Ardent rear. In winter I am running a larsen rear as I ride the road out of town to the woods to add a bit of distance and less dirty car faffage. Larsen is ace for mud fun.

Will be trying a butcher control this year on front and like the look of the ardent race as a new front tyre option if it comes out.

taxi25
    Free Member

Nobby nic 2.25 for me. Light fpr their size and pretty quick. Hate heavy draggy tyres.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just recently, I’ve really enjoyed bc rubber queens (ust), nevegal (ust) and advantage (ust)

xcgb
    Free Member

So thats all clear then!

Mind you I just use high rollers so what do I know!

makeitorange
    Free Member

swap them over.

Really? the Minion (2.35 DHF) definitely looks like the burlier, gripper tyre compared to the high roller (also 2.35). It’s how my old Marin Wolfridge came as standard and I’ve copied it on all my bikes since because I liked it so much.

Toasty

Sorry for a hijack, but the on one smorgasbord is on offer for £12.50ish… 2 quick questions, are they tubeless ready and is it worth a swap from the spesh eskars I’m running at the moment?

Not technically, but mine went straight up on Flows and didn’t leak any air overnight, they’ve stayed up for 2 weeks since then without any more air.

They’re heavier than Eskars, to be honest they’re not much lighter than the £15 Chunky Monkeys, which have considerably more knobbage for cornering.

I don’t mind Eskars too much though to be honest, especially as it’s spring soon (probably) 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like Eskars in summer, purgatory’s in winter.

Tempted to go Hans Dampf all year round if the reviews are to be believed.

nickc

Used to be a nobby nic on the front and racing Ralph on the back, but I’m trying a mountain king and x king combo, so clearly they are the bestest evarzzz

greeble
    Free Member

minion rolls better on the rear compaired to the high roller.
    high roller gives great grip on the front.

kimbers

chunky monkeys for the bargaintastic win

widge34
    Free Member

Conti Mountain King 2s Black Chili

pictonroad

Worn out high roller on the back, new one on the front, continue to rotate ad nauseum. The pinging noise from the side knobs riding on rocks is entertaining.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I normally run High Rollers all year…super tacky up front and a 60a on there rear (or a semi slick for the two dusty rides were get per summer). Recently I’ve been running a super tacky Minion up front, although I can’t decide if I prefer the High Roller.

On my XM321’s the High Roller us the wider tyre.

I may try some Spesh Purgatory tyres this summer or some Rubber Queen black chilli jobs. Although I’ve cooled on the idea of the latter because the standard ones I tried were that bad.

djbmtb
    Free Member

Another vote for chunky monkey up front and smorgasbord out back. Run mine tubeless on flow ex and they went up first time no issues.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Front = 2.5 super tacky DHF minion
    Rear = 2.3 60A dual ply High Roller or similar Larsen TT

Northwind

greeble – Member

swap them over.

I could never get on with a Minion on the back, something about the way they slide, always seemed like once they lose traction it’s very hard to get it back. Probably all in my head, but then my brain’s also in my head and it does the driving so that’s still important 😉

Milkie
    Free Member

My Hans Dampf’s seem pretty good as a do it all tyre.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped to Fat Alberts front and rear on my Prince Albert, seem very good so far, capable in the mud and not too draggy.

Mind I previously had some old Conti verticals on so compared to them anything else would seem mud capable.

mboy
    Free Member

No such thing as a perfect all round tyre, but cost aside, Conti Black Chilli UST Rubber Queens in 2.2″ come about as close to perfect as you can get. I’ve ridden just about every tyre mentioned in this thread so far before, only the Maxxis Minion and HR can rival them for grip, but in turn they drag more and wear out faster.

Very expensive, but very very good…

Currently using 62a compound Maxxis Medusa’s as a winter tyre on my hardtail. They’re much quicker rolling than a Bontrager Mud X, clear even better, grip very nearly as well in the deep mud but as well or better elsewhere, and being the LUST version they seal tubeless without any faff. Very impressed with them (cheap from On One too) and are now a default selection for winter.

RustySpanner

Bontrager XR4’s are cheap, predictable, grip well and last.
    The best tyre I’ve ever used.

Cinders are just as good, just as cheap but draggy.

Maxxis Ignitors are faster than both of the above, grip almost as well but cost a bomb.
    My second favourites.

Used to love Spesh Purgatorys too, but they’ve changed them recently.

timnwild

Dirty Dans.

tomaso
    Free Member

I ride in mostly similar conditions all year round in the Lakes – it is mostly rocky and dula ply Minions or High Rollers or combinations there of work very well. Plenty of grip and no punctures or side wall failures. But golly are they heavy and they won’t be on my bike if I do anything mildly competitive. I may go down the Smorgasbord/ Chunky Monkey combo if I actually need to.

There is a Der Baron black chili tyre in the garage that is gonna go on the front now the 3C Minion is almost bald.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘SORRY! Tell me your prefered do it all tyres’ is closed to new replies.