Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Sorry Schwalbe XR4 or Hans Dampf as all round tyre
  • shredder
    Free Member

Looking for a new set of tyres for my Cotic Soul

Toying with either
    Schwalbe XR4 or Hans Dampf

Rebas on front so not masses of clearance any thoughts
    Thanks

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Bontrager XR4?

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m guessing you mean Bonty XR4? Not tried one but HD’s are brilliant IME, not tried them in deep mud (which is apparently their Achilles heel but I generally avoid deep mud anyhow…), they work well in dusty/sandy/rocky condition as well as wet/gritty/slatey conditions though (and stuff in between).

duir
    Free Member

The XR4 is made by Bontrager and despite it’s appearance is a super all round tyre and really only get’s overwhelmed in the worst mud. I used it as a rear for 6 months and had no punctures, rolls fast and good wear rates.

I tried the 2.35 Hans Dampf, a super tyre too but too big for me and more like a 2.5 maxxis. Very tough side wall but much heavier than XR4.

I didn’t like either front and instead use a Minion summer and Baron winter. That’s was my experience for northern Scotland.

So in summary I think XR4 rear spring/summer/autumn with gripper front. Unless you only ride trail centres in which case XR4 F&R all year.

shredder
    Free Member

Sorry Bontrager 😀

crush83
    Free Member

out of those pair i would go with the hans dampf.

I have been using Hi-Roller 2’s front and rear in this crap weather and they have been awesome. totaly confidence inspireing.

Scamper
    Free Member

Been using an XR4 on my Soul for some time now. Very pleased with it as an allrounder. 2.2 is 700g, rolls well and being last years model comes up about as big as a 2.5 Exo Minion which is way heavier, draggier but gives even more confidence.

mboy
    Free Member

On a Reba up front?

Neither

Ran a 2.2″ XR4 on a Reba before, only a couple of mm clearance all round, took it off fairly quickly. Also, it wasn’t actually that good anyway.

Hans Dampf is probably as big, so wouldn’t be ideal either.

2.35″ Minion would probably be the best bet, still a decent volume tyre, very grippy, but still a bit of clearance in a Reba.

GaryLake
    Free Member

not tried them in deep mud (which is apparently their Achilles heel but I generally avoid deep mud anyhow…)

For an ‘allrounder’ it’s remarkably good in mud actually. As long as you remember “it’s not a mud tyre” then it’s really rather good!

Silly easy to run tubeless as well, very tough, running the front at about 12 PSI and the grip level is nuts!

shredder
    Free Member

So clearance an issue with them them on a Reba then

br
    Free Member

The XR4 has been the slowest front I’ve used in a fair while, but a bloody good tyre – fine for rocks and gives plenty of confidence. Big though.

Where do you ride, and what rim/fork combo?

chojin
    Free Member

I have Recons with Hans Dampfs and they do rub under compression :/

chiefgrooveguru

The newer XR4 2.2 is smaller than the old one – and the knobs are significantly bigger on the 2.35 than the 2.2 (like a High Roller 2.35 vs 2.1). The Rebas are frustrating because they’re decent forks but the clearance is tiny compared to the back end of a Soul. Minion 2.35 front, XR4 2.2 rear would work well.

GaryLake
    Free Member

HD fine in a Fox Float…

ajt123
    Free Member

I cannot recommend the Schwalbe’s high enough; they really are fantastic in mixed conditions and they have really improved the quality of my ride.

For the type of tyre they are I think they are currently unbeatable, and I am running the medium price ORC version!

Alex

ajt123
    Free Member

Mud it is pretty good. Certainly not poor. I think with mud its usually either OK, or awful.

h4muf
    Free Member

I’ve got two 29ers, both with Reba’s and both on HD’s.

One rubs very slightly under compression,one doesn’t!

Best tyres i’ve ever used!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Good to hear I’m not alone on rating these… yes the rear is a bit draggy but grip wise they’re so addictive that I can’t bring myself to take them off, I’ve simply accepted a case of MTFU and just got fitter…

Oh and as a tubeless option, how easy? My track pump is awful and even then they started to hold air after a single pump and properly sealed on the second!

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I love my HDs; only slight negative would be for XC type stuff they’re a little draggy.. but tbh that’s not really what they’re designed to do so on balance I think they’re excellent.

Given the stiff sidewalls you can (Have to) run really low pressures when tubeless.

lump

Just gone to HD pacestar on the rear and trail on the front on both bikes. Cant rate them high enough

FuzzyWuzzy

I didn’t find the HD’s especially easy to get on (vs various other tyres I’ve used), front popped up straight away, rear took about 15 minutes of swearing/grunting/sweating before it took – had similar experience with other makes. I also run them fairly hard (30 psi front, 35 psi rear) as I’m paranoid about tyres burping at low pressure – they’re still gripper than anything else I’ve used.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

XR4s for most of the year, XR-Muds for when its really filthy.

shredder
    Free Member

Thanks everybody wonder if the newer XR4 is still too big for a Reba ?

GaryLake
    Free Member

I also run them fairly hard (30 psi front, 35 psi rear) as I’m paranoid about tyres burping at low pressure

Yikes, I’m like 18 front, 20 rear! And yeah, with those leathery sidewalls I find they don’t really give up all their available grip properly unless you go properly low pressure.

crush83
    Free Member

Yikes, I’m like 18 front, 20 rear! And yeah, with those leathery sidewalls I find they don’t really give up all their available grip properly unless you go properly low pressure.

i run High-Roller 2’s front and rear on 40 PSI each!

chiefgrooveguru

I used the old XR4 2.2 with my Rebas and the clearance was workable, just buzzed under hard cornering. The new ones are definitely less tall – the width is the same but it’s made up of carcass plus side knobs sticking out further, whilst the old ones’ carcass stuck out as far as the side knobs did.

GaryLake
    Free Member

How much do you weight? I’m 75kgs and I’d be pin-balling off of every rock and root, and washing out everywhere at those pressures!

DaveE

Running HD on 29r,Best tyre I have used.
    Good in mud but great on wet roots/rocks.
    They are tall. Just about clear on Reba’s

crush83
    Free Member

How much do you weight? I’m 75kgs and I’d be pin-balling off of every rock and root, and washing out everywhere at those pressures!

i am 110 KG 🙁 but i run them on an Orange crush, so a nice sturdy bike!

cheers_drive

GaryLake – Member

I started close to FWs pressures but now run 22 front 28 back with no issues. 95kg+ with kit.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’ve got away with 10 psi in the front on the HD doing FOD downhill in the mud/wet. Did the usual trail side “I’ll let a bit out” and realised how low I’d actually been running them when I got home!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Sorry Schwalbe XR4 or Hans Dampf as all round tyre’ is closed to new replies.