Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • sorry, more mac mini questions… cheapest place to buy new?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

apart from the apple uk refurbished store that is!

everywhere seems to be 499 for the basic model, does anyone know anywhere that either discounts or throws in things like keyboards etc?

bamboo
    Free Member

When we bought our iMac we got it from John Lewis as the price was the same as the Apple store, but you get a free 2 year warranty. If you don’t have a JL nearby, then I believe you can reserve online and collect from your nearest Waitrose store instead (that certainly used to be the case anyhow)

Cheers

mboy
    Free Member

Only way you’ll get any discount off a brand new one is if you know a University student, that isn’t intending on buying one for themselves this academic year, willing to help out.

Discount to a University student gets about 14-15% off the RRP. You need the student to order it on your behalf though, either through their University network on the Apple Store (won’t connect to Uni discounts otherwise), or by ringing the number on the Apple Store website.

Didn’t hear that from me though right! 😉

geoffj

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000751

I’m an OU student and have used that link several times. I’ve never been asked for any proof or courses etc

peteimpreza

Go through Topcahback (or similar) and get 3% off.

NHS employees have access to the same 3% deal IIRC.

Student Discount.

Black Friday Sale

zilog6128

Try the refurb section of the Apple website. You need to keep checking though, the stock can change hourly!

I have bought 3 Macs for work from their now and they have all been perfect. You can still get the 3% cashback as well!

Although personally I wouldn’t buy one now unless you need one desperately – there’s a new model due out soon according to Mac Rumor’s buyers guide.

kcal

Sold an 8yo Mac mini last year, I was pleased to see it still had some residual value. I’m guess folk are using them as media servers or smart connections to TVs, not sure. Served me well..

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

the used price is the thing. i’ve been watching for a week or so and my min spec (late ’09 2.56ghz) are at least 250-300quid. so unless i can find a deal i thinking that to spend another 150quid or so on a brand new machine with full warrranty and latest osx makes sense.

don’t really want to, would love to get sorted for 50p, but you know!

nickdavies

If the refurb store haven’t got any, then I reckon Costco is the next best bet.

Just had a quick look and they’re doing the 500GB model for £559 with magic keyboard and mouse which is £617 I think from apple.

Can’t see they have any basic ones though. They normally tend to have apple machines for base price but with a couple of upgrades FOC.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

crazy thing is the base model at 499 is on ebay used for more. are people fools!

did’nt know about costco, cheers. at present and in no super rush planning to watch the refurb store for a few days. and if that fails i’m studying at the OU!!!

mboy
    Free Member

thinking that to spend another 150quid or so on a brand new machine with full warrranty and latest osx makes sense.

Mac Mini’s, more than any other Apple Product, hold their value remarkably well. Pretty much a zero risk purchase. You can buy one, run it for 3 years then sell it for 60% of what you paid for it!

brassneck

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but I just bought an i7 from Dabs for £644 – think the i5 was 450 ish. have dealt with Dabs a lot over the years so fine with them, I did see cheaper options but all were dodgy grey imports .. I bought my Macbook Pro like that, but didn’t fancy it this time and need it this week.

I was going to go with JL for the extra warranty, but they don’t appear to sell the i7 – and full price for the i7 was a bit more than I wanted to pay (psycological barrier).

Now a question – any reason to buy a Display Port > DVI adapator rather than use the HDMI > DVI adaptor included? JL have some Belkin ones marked down to 6 quid, but I’m only going to use 1 monitor, not sure if there’s any point.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘sorry, more mac mini questions… cheapest place to buy new?’ is closed to new replies.