Sorry more DH questions Super Star DH wheels peoples experience

Home Forum Bike Forum Sorry more DH questions Super Star DH wheels peoples experience

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sorry more DH questions Super Star DH wheels peoples experience
  • Jeffus

Been looking at Wheelsets Superstar hubs , Mavic 729 rims sapin spokes and brass nipples , sounds a good build for £199 , rims must be bullet proof and 2 year warranty sounds great.

toys19

Ordinarily I am a superstar evangelist, I’ve had three sets of superstar wheels with no bother. But my mate last weekend had flows on superstar hubs 2nd ride, and the rear wheel went out of true with the loosest spokes I have ever ever seen. I am not sure how or why it happened, but i suspect it might be lack of lubrication on the spoke/nipple thread. I’ve been building wheels for 25 years and I’ve only ever seen spokes off when I forgot to lube the nipples during the build.

So I would still be happy to buy them, but run round each nipple with a drop of three in one, wipe clean, and check for tightness often until you are sure it is all good..

In my experience the hubs are utterly bomb proof.

Karl33to

Been running the AMX’s for the past 12 months of DH / Alps / Lakes and they have held up OK-ish, the front I haven’t had a problem with, but the rear has needed the occasional bit of re-tensioning.

No probs at all with the hubs though. I’d imagine they’d be great with some 729’s on them. Infact I was only considering upgrading to some last night myself.

Jeffus

So quite positive so far for the money they seem great value, and would only be ridden a dozen or so days a year unless I really get the bug 😀

iridebikes

Have a look at my classifieds ad, it could be of interest. Otherwise my experience of their wheels is they need tensioning a few times to get them right.

Andy

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

I had a flow built on to a Nukeproof hub. Had endless problems when out in France couple of years ago. Kept coming loose every day… Not sure what my point is though… 😀

I have a set of superstar dh rims built on to superstar hubs. Great wheels. Had no issues.

Karl33to

Oh you’ll get the bug alright – DH is ace fun!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

729s are kinda ridiculous rims tbh. Though ironically, not that bullet proof- they’re strong, very strong but they’re not hard. I reckon my 721s stood up to knocks better than my 729s, the latter were covered in dents.

Jeffus

Looks like they do 721’s also so a good couple of options.. 🙂

Doug

Go for one of the clearance tech 2 DH wheelsets with their own rims. The hubs are almost worth the £120 asking price alone. Got three sets of switch wheelsets and love being able to run swap two of them between a QR hardtail and a 15mm/142mm full suss in a couple of mins. (The other set is 150mm rear end).

Looking at getting a set made up with Open Pro CD’s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sorry more DH questions Super Star DH wheels peoples experience’ is closed to new replies.