• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sorry mate I didnt see you
  • DezB
    Free Member

Not sure if stiffer sentences will help protect us, but I suppose it would be a step in the right direction.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Maybe cyclists should start smashing the hard parts of their bikes into cars, scratching them etc and claim the same.

GrahamS
    bigjim

God its depressing isn’t it. I really do think that like speeding there is an acceptance that you can get away with punting a cyclist/pedestrian with a car.

Maybe cyclists should start smashing the hard parts of their bikes into cars, scratching them etc and claim the same.

I did exactly that last June. Driver’s insurance company came after me.

bigjim

GrahamS you have made my day – some good t shirts there, will have to get one, only thing is it is perhaps too subtle for people to realise it isn’t just a BMW t shirt!

GrahamS

There are more good ones at the .cityycycling spreadshirt shop. (warning: some smug fixie content)

Shame the http://citycycling.co.uk emag/webthing stopped as I quite enjoyed it.
    The back issues are worth a look.

ourmaninthenorth

GrahamS – he’s talking about reviving it, albeit possibly in a different format.

luked2
    Free Member

Not everyone gets off though.

A woman who killed a time trialist in 2009 on the A1 claimed the same thing. “Sorry, I was distracted by a spider in my car”. They gave her 21 months.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge/Grieving-dads-plea-on-cyclists.htm

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I did exactly that last June. Driver’s insurance company came after me.

How did they find you?

anagallis_arvensis

My friend anthony was killed on a sunny day by a van driver who ran into the back of him and another rider, he wasnt even charged with careless driving.

GrahamS

GrahamS – he’s talking about reviving it, albeit possibly in a different format.

Ooh interesting.

Sorry, I was distracted by a spider in my car”

s.i.w.d.b.a.s.i.m.c.

That would look rubbish on a t-shirt.

bigjim

How did they find you?

It was a bad accident, police were there and I gave name etc to them whilst I was in ambulance. They obviously gave the details to the driver. Luckily my home contents covers it so they responded to the drivers insurers – apparently they always have a go at reclaiming costs but rarely pursue, as they need to present a case with evidence etc, and seeing as the copper didn’t speak to any witnesses and I didn’t claim liability it would be interesting to see what they would do. Not heard anything for a few months so hoping it is all over.

bigjim

My friend anthony was killed on a sunny day by a van driver who ran into the back of him and another rider, he wasnt even charged with careless driving.

Thats terrible. My mates’ dad was killed by a young driver going too fast, losing control and crossing the road into him as he cycled, I think the driver got away largely scot free. He was a green party member and cycle activist too, really sad.

jhw
    Free Member

You’re not my mate, mate!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sorry mate I didnt see you’ is closed to new replies.