Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • sorry, larsen tt, small block 8 or other for 819 rim.
  • flip456
    Free Member

Looking for a fast rolling UST tyre for my full sus bike to use in the peak and trail centers. Both the maxxis larsen tt and kenda small block 8 seem to fit the bill, anyone have experience of these, how did you find them?
    Anything else I should be looking at?

Shorty121
    Free Member

I found the kendas sidewalls very fragile and I ended ripping both tyres. I now run continental x king and haven’t ripped one yet

tthew

I’ve always been a fan of the TT’s, Rear tyre of choice for me. Use a tyre with a little more bite up front, did have a TT there but found the Ignitor better. I ride forests and less rocky areas as a rule though, so the TT may be OK where it’s a little harder.

br
    Free Member

Larsen on the rear, no real grip especially on wet grass but strong and fast. Good summer tyre.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Phil,
    I used a Larsen TT tubeless at CyB, it tore on the 1st descent (maybe I was running it too soft at 30psi?).
    I settled on a crossmax on the rear as they are fast but a little tougher and something gripper on the front – like a nobby nic or 2.3 DHF or even the 2.4 highroller 2, although they seem to come up huge. Ardent get good feedback too, but I’ve not tried one.

I have a SB8 on the SS bike & it is very fast & grips well on dry/fast clearing dirt (chicksands, thetford etc). I felt the lugs are a a little low profile for staying really connected on wet/muddier trails around Pirton & in the peak.- also they seem to attract blackthorn.

I have a few part worns in the garage if you want something specifically for next weekends trip (but they are not UST)?

fandango
    Free Member

I used Larsens when I lived in Brisbane… great tyre for those dry hard packed conditions. Rolls fast and holds on well. Not sure about using it in the British summer though, I’d head towards a Crossmark.

flip456
    Free Member

cheers for the info guys.
    tthew, i’m also going to be using an ignitor on the front and mostly ride similar trails to you 🙂
    adam, thanks fella will take a look at the crossmark and ardent. I’m not suprised you tore your tire up, at the speeds you ride at….i’m sure my more sedate pace would be a bit more forgiving 😉

willej

Geax AKA or Saguaro also worth a look. I’ve used both front and rear at various times. Great quality tyres, seriously underrated. On-One had some good deals on them lately, including the TNT (tube/no tube) versions.

p7rich
    Free Member

I’m running both. Prefer Larsens. I have slashed 2 x sidewalls on the SB8s and they wear a lot quicker than the Larsens.

longmover
    Free Member

The TT is good for loose gravel over hardpack but lets go really easily in loamy soil

steve_b77
    Free Member

Specialized fast trak control LK maybe, tubeless and tough with a Kevlar band / side wall

rhysw
    Free Member

Larsen TT is a great tire. Good for front and rear when it’s dry. You’ll get away with one on the rear all year round for trail centres

brakes
    Free Member

Larsen TT if you never go round corners

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Larsens are fun, but like any small block tyre isn’t too hot when it starts to slide (which is quite easy).

Another option is the Conti Race King – probably a little quicker and nice round profile, which makes leaning into corners pretty easy. It’s also a low, flat pattern which means there’s plenty of tread in contact with the ground. Great in rockier areas (rode at a wet CYB with no problems) but worse than useless in mud (unsurprisingly).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Crossmark all the way. It’s a fast tyre that still corners well. It holds a line as good or better than an Ardent but rolls faster. It’s absolutely perfect for the rear, especially when combined with the brand new Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3 TR (tubeless ready)/3C/EXO on the front. The new HR2 is very impressive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘sorry, larsen tt, small block 8 or other for 819 rim.’ is closed to new replies.