Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 173 total)
  • Sorry if this has already been done, but is IOS8 crap or what?
  • Cougar

my iPad has crashed more since the update than it has in the last year, mainly when using chrome but also in some other apps.

According to the OH, hers crashes when she tries to delete something in web forms.

Not Apples fault, Pioneer being gimps…

How so?

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’ve updated iPad 3 to iOS 8 ….. I would say no major changes to cause excitement …. Good or bad …. Which must admit slightly bothered me ! The predictive text is just a catch up to what I’ve had for ages on android. I believe it works by ‘learning’ you regularly used phrases and words….. So will undoubtedly get more accurate over time…. So early doors it’s inevitable to attract criticism….. Just give it time, ,,,,,, or ignore the feature until it’s learnt from you !

I like some of the new Safari features

Haven’t really found anything yet that’s a major problem

Drac

Tell me an app I’m missing, go on..

Viewranger.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I’ll rise to the bait, re the Windows phone.

In a household of idevices, wanna guess which phone works, whenever and where ever we are?
    Apps! I have my banking app, my social media apps, MS Office (for free, as in create/edit documents), I have angry birds, my email for work (exchange server) is a huge improvement on the Android version that I don’t bother using my Samsung S4 works phone – I’d rather pay my bill when abroad. I’ve got Nokia sat nav with offline maps built in. Upgradable storage, how’s that 16,32,64GB working out for you? No point having all the apps in the world, if you’ve nowhere to put them.

and

to top it all

we’re getting

Cortana…..

😀

In all seriousness, my next phone will be a Windows phone. It’s the first time in a long time that I will have stuck with the previous OS. I did iphone/android/windows. in fact the one app I was missing arrived today – remote desktop 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to Cortana actually – if it’s good, it’ll be great… IF

andysredmini
    Free Member

I don’t think that the two men were killed in the morning and I’m still not sure what the actual name of the best thing ever is

Jamie
    Free Member

How so?

They haven’t updated it?

johnnystorm

Not Apples fault, Pioneer being gimps…

How so?

As Pioneer, along with other developers, have had access to ios 8 for ages now to sort out updates to suit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bit odd that you are having problems innit?

I’ve done the updates on iPad3 and the only thing I’ve noticed is it’s a teeny bit of lag when it’s downloading pics, but it could be my internet connection, but then again it’s only started happening since I upgraded..

GrahamS

my iPad has crashed more since the update than it has in the last year, mainly when using chrome but also in some other apps.

The iPad has crashed, or the apps have?

Sounds like you mean the apps, which would be due to their developers not testing them properly on the new OS before it got released. That’ll settle down as they do (and is the reason that IT bods don’t like updating straight away!)

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Is strava available for windows yet?
    If not, I’m out.

GrahamS

Tell me an app I’m missing, go on..

How about ViewRanger?

Cyclist magazine?

molgrips
    Free Member

Strava – yeah, ok, fair play. However I just use my Garmin now because it’s waterproof and fits in my pocket 🙂

You can upload from other apps though.

MartynS

IOS8….. Utter, utter garbage. Ipad and phone have both slowed to a crawl, it’s just horrid.

JCL
    Free Member

You guys haven’t worked out that every IOS update is more processor labour intensive than the last? Thus rendering your otherwise okay iPad useless? Oh no worries just go back to the previous OS. Oh wait you can’t.

Welcome to Apple in the post Job’s era. Planned obsolescence kids..

budgierider67

iPhone 5 & iPad mini retina working just fine on IOS8 here. I like the tweaks to safari. it is a bit pants that you can’t choose to revert to a previous IOS though.

GrahamS

You guys haven’t worked out that every IOS update is more processor labour intensive than the last? Thus rendering your otherwise okay iPad useless? Oh no worries just go back to the previous OS. Oh wait you can’t.

You realise that is true of practically every OS and software product update ever?
    Hardly an Apple/sheeple problem. 🙄

(Oh and you CAN currently revert to iOS7 if you really want – but given that it runs okay on my ancient 4S, I don’t know why you’d want to)

Jamie
    Free Member

Easy there, Neo. I don’t think you are having quite the Matrix-like revelation that you think you are.

GrahamS

IOS8….. Utter, utter garbage. Ipad and phone have both slowed to a crawl, it’s just horrid.

Fine here. I suggest checking how much space is left on your devices (like most computers they don’t like getting near full) and if it’s not that then try doing a full restore via iTunes to freshen things up.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Planned obsolescence applies to all products. The difference with Apple products the time the device lasts is at least three times longer than an equivalent device. I’ve got a 5 yr old MB running the latest version of Mavericks and apart from boot up and shut down times is running as well as it did on day 1. My iPad 2 which I got not long after it was first released is now running ios8 and so far it’s not showing any signs of slowing down. The wife still has an iPhone 4 running ios7, which is getting a bit slow and clunky now, but still works fine as long as you don’t try to stretch it too much.

For the type of products these are and given the pace of technological change I don’t think that’s too bad for planned obsolescence.

Cougar

The difference with Apple products the time the device lasts is at least three times longer than an equivalent device

You know, I do so tire of rot like this.

My current laptop turned six years old last month and is running W7 quite happily (as, I suspect it would W8). My previous desktop was ten years old when I retired it. If you’re going to assert that your Mac lasts “at least three times longer than an equivalent” then unless you’re still running an Apple IIc you need to come back to me in about 25 years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Similar experiences here too, and my android phones all seem to run a little quicker with software updates, as if they have optimized things as they were going. But then again I accept we must all be wrong 🙂

JCL
    Free Member

The difference with Apple products the time the device lasts is at least three times longer than an equivalent device.

I’m not sure that’s the case but even if it was does the extra purchase cost (upto half again on some products) plus the way lower comparable spec make them worth it?

I own Apple products and like the OS but the products have moved far into the form over function these days.

Jamie
    Free Member

plus the way lower comparable spec make them worth it?

Not to cherry pick a quote, but what is this bit in relation to? All Apple products? iPhones?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

battery life is definitely less on my old 4S and minutely slower but not in a unbearable ‘old 33k modem way’. Feature wise I’m not minding it, I didn’t expect it to move on leaps and bounds and it hasn’t, so I guess its just about meeting my expectations.

molgrips
    Free Member

The difference with Apple products the time the device lasts is at least three times longer than an equivalent device.

Lol.. so why do they keep ramming new crap down our throats every year then? They’re making stuff obselete in terms of fashion, rather than technology. But really how can you blame them? Our world economy is based on us constantly buying more shit we don’t need.

I’m eligible to get a new work laptop next month, but I won’t be applying, as this one works fine still. Yes I know I have a big footprint etc etc I’m just being a smartarse 😉

hooli

I don’t have any issues with it, a few nice touches like the timer on the camera. Give it a few days and you wont even remember what 7 was like.

I did think it had battery drain issues at first but it turns out it had turned on a lot of stuff that I had off. Once sorted, it is back to normal.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes me, I like the improvements to iOS8 (running on a 4S)

Predictive text/words excellent
    Text larger and easier to see over more apps (accessibility text scaling carried through)
    Extra swipe options on mail useful
    Battery data useful
    Photo sharing etc fine, just different

I will download and try some different keyboards when I have time
    Not sure why people are complaining about Safari
    Battery life seems same or even slightly better (note people often complain about battery life with new releases but there can be a lot “going on” in the background like app updates, I thikn I had updates for 25 of my apps in the days after the release)

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve not had any issues and I’ve updated several iPhones/iPads etc

Battery life is similar, performance is similar and some new features to boot.

Can’t say I’ve had any of the devices crash and I use them a lot during the day.

Jamie
    Free Member

Doesn’t this happen after every iOS release? People’s devices start exploding etc, then it all settles down.

rocketman
    Free Member

I like it it works great on all our iDevices. The audio messaging is most excellent

IanMunro
    Free Member

Battery life is similar,

Though obviously you can charge it much quicker now.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not this again…

hooli

I cant believe I forgot this but I do have a major issue with IOS8!

It put f’kin U2 songs in my playlist, what if I was knocked over by a bus and somebody found them on my phone? The shame it would bring on my family doesn’t bear thinking about…

Cougar

Probably worth clarifying for the hard of thinking,

The above images are SATIRE. Please do not microwave your phone or get it wet.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It worked with the Windows Phone 8.1 update 🙂

Houns

Ipad 2 here

Keeps crashing, facebook (which was carp before the update) is absolutely dire. Very slow and laggy

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m liking the easy reply from the “Notifications” bar (at the top of the screen..)
    Message comes in, swipe down and type back.. 8)

Been texting my Mum from there a lot rather than going into “Messages”.

I like that..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Sorry if this has already been done, but is IOS8 crap or what?’ is closed to new replies.