Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • sorry, but which are the best winter tyres
  • roughneck
    Free Member

Need some new ones for the Chameleon

uplink
    Free Member

What have you got on now?

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you can learn to ride as fast in the winter on your summer tyres as you do in the summer then think how fast you’ll be come next summer.

It’s a serious comment not a troll.

wombat

Black ones….

Seriously though…it depends on where your’e riding….What’s the intended use?

Keva
    Free Member

Bontrager MudX is an excellent winter tyre and good all rounder. I’m using 1.8s on the Rock Lobster and 2.0s on the ti456. Brilliant tyres, loads of grip on a variety of surfaces, predictable, roll well.

Kev

shortcut

It is entirely dependent on where you ride and what you ride!

roughneck
    Free Member

I’ve left the small block 8 2.35″ on the back as long as I could and I have a Rubber queen 2.2″ on the front. I ride old and new Dalby the moors and the odd trip to the peaks. Last year I had Mud X on the back and a NN on the front. The mud X was great but just a bit thin for the Chameleon.

Speshpaul

Something bald/slick and sticky for winter, in Utah.

You mean which best winter tyres for my local / normal riding conditions.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Really does depend on your locality. Where I live (Halifax)which has mud but also a lot of exposed rocks and roots I find minion supertacky’s as good as anything.

RoterStern
    Free Member

For a bit of everything I like the Maxxis Medusas but as with all winter tyres they are a bit slow rolling or the XCR Mud from Michelin which roll much better.

thickens
    Free Member

Minion front
    larsen rear !

smiffkin

I’ve just fitted some Specialized Storm Control tyres. Roll well, but still have great grip/traction and cheap to buy. I’d recommend them.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends on what you’re after. I’ve still got Ardents on my main bike but my play bike is shod with Minions/High Rollers although I’ve a barely used pair of Nevegals I plan to fit shortly.

roughneck
    Free Member

just need a mud X but a bit wider

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Maxxis Swampthings

lucien

+ 1 for the Storm Control’s

craig1975
    Free Member

Ive been running Minions this last couple of years… decided to try the Swampthings just for a change, seeing as 90% of the trails are under mud just now.. at first I couldn’t believe the difference they make.. especially on the slippy climbs..

out of curiosity i put the minions back on today just to see if id notice any difference.. same trails.. mud..mud roots and more mud LOL.. didn’t notice a hole lot of a difference between them on the front, but the swamthings winning out though, but not enough to make the change over.. on the rear was a different story… trying to get traction with the minions on steep wet deep muddy sections where a no no.. the swampthings defo. do what they say on the tin…

Cutting through deep mud the Swampthing come into there own.. but they do tare up the trails

roughneck
    Free Member

Tried the swanpthing last year, I found it very heavy and draggy.

dyls

If you ride trail centre/hardpack stuff mostly I wouldn’t bother changing, maybe a mud tyre if you prefer more natural trails?

igm

MudX x2 on the 29er
    MudX rear and Bonty XR4 front on the 456

Seems to work

MrSmith
    Free Member

just need a mud X but a bit wider

jones ACX. they have stopped doing the folding/tubeless ready ones but you can find some new old stock.
    (they changed the sizing so a 2.2/2.3 are the same)

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Swampthing supertacky 2.35 front

Bonty Mud-X 2.0 rear

Great in the woods yesterday despite the torrential downpour 😈

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I’ve ordered some Spesh Storm controls from Hargroves cycles, will see if they are as good as described. First time ever I’ve fallen for this mud/summer tyre hype for two reasons really, the mud at the Ruthin round of the CRC mountain marathon, and an off in the local woods last week where the back tyre went out under me.

hainman
    Free Member

anyone use spesh eskar armadillos.i was given a pair.im on these just now after swapping over the stock mountain kings i had on,thayve taken alot of clipping rocks and tree branchs and stumps and have not let me down(no flats since ive had them)i do natural trail,trail centres and some cycle paths when i take the kids out.

roughneck
    Free Member

Any body tried Dirty Dan’s, what do they 2″ compare to the Mud X 2″

mrbump
    Free Member

on my marin rocky ridge agrro HT trail machine, 2.35 maxxis highrollers, super tacky on the front and a 60a on the rear ,all conditons ,all year.ive a garage full of tyres,but all go back to these.
    i only swap tyres on the DH bike now.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘sorry, but which are the best winter tyres’ is closed to new replies.