Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Sorry but… 650b Gravel Tyres
  • neila

As per the Custom Wheel build thread, I’ve just ordered some 650b wheels for my Tempest. Im now looking for tyres for general byway, towpath and light off-road larking with some road as well. What options over GravelKing SK in 47c would anyone recommend. Thanks.

Caher

Tried a few but settled on Gravel kings. Have heard that Rene Herse Babyshoe are supposed to be quite good.

peajay

Wtb resolute 42 haven’t let me down, the byways were sketchy if it was wet and seemed to pick up punctures.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neila

Rene Herse are a bit spendy for me, I’ll look up the WTB Resolutes but GravelKings still seem best bet so far.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Pirelli Cinturato M 50mm. Great all-rounder and gripper than GK SKs

speccyguy
    Free Member

I’ve probably done more gravel Kms on gravelkings than most but I wouldn’t go back after switching to Teravail Cannonballs.

neila

Cheers, I’ll look up the Pirelli and Teravails.

winston
    Free Member

I have WTB Sendero’s on mine. They are very good<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> in the mud which is what I need them for, but quite draggy on road and you have to use them tubeless as they are  puncture magnets.</span>

I must admit I’m not 100% convinced by 650b. I thought I’d love them and it might just be the bike, they are on an Arkose X but I reckon the handling is actually worse than with 700c. I’ll use them for the rest of the winter but if I can’t get used to them then its back to 700c and Nano’s.

pigyn
    Free Member

If you can fit 50mm the Hutchinson Black Mambas are really nice, pretty fast, decent grip and you won’t find anything easier to fit or inflate tubeless 👍👍

ojays
    Free Member

I have Senderos as well on my Tempest. I really like them and I don’t find them that bad on the road if you are doing something that is tilted more towards off road. I’ve taken them down some pretty rough tracks too and they have been good, great in the slop. I run them low too – 25-30 and they are really comfy.

Watching this with interest though as it’s that sloppy now that I’m adding more back roads and non puddle rid sections, so considering something a bit faster but still good for off-road and able to handle some slop. The Resolutes Id have gone with but at 42mm I don’t really see the benefit of using 650b. Those Pirelli look interesting in 50mm though, might have a crack at those when I have some spare cash. I think you want to go 47mm minimum or you might as well stick a 38/40 on a 700cc. Bigger than that on a 700 for me just seems like a lot to spin up for a gravel bike. Terravail look nice too.

neila

^^ that was my thought on the Resolutes, 42 is not big enough. I already have some 38 G-Ones on the original Tempest wheels that I use for more gravel than road rides but they’re somewhat lacking in the rougher stuff. If the Resolutes came in 48 I’d already have ordered them.

d42dom

I’m running the Pirelli tyres 650x50mm, punctured the other day but there is a lot of small flints about where I ride at the moment. Don’t seem to drag anymore than my 700x38mm Vittoria mix. Running 30F and 34R on gravel, mud and road. Hopefully the punctures wont be to regular as I have had 2 this winter across both bikes which is 2 more than I’ve had in the last 3 years…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What about the new (to me at least) G One variants including the Ultrabite?

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/gravel-reader/schwalbe-g-one-ultrabite

ojays
    Free Member

Are the Pirelli tubeless? If so have you punctured with tubes or set up tubeless?

neila

I’m already using the G-One All Round in 700c x 35 and 40 but not seen the Ultrabite, anyone using them?

d42dom

Pirelli are tubeless and set up tubless, the puncture I had was with a tubeless set up. If this is relevant my mate on Panaracer SK 650×47 had 2 the week before, as in my previous post the winter rain has bought out loads of small flints over the last couple of weeks, how any tyre would fair is hard to say.

ojays
    Free Member

Cheers d42dom

karnali
    Free Member

Conti raceking 2.0 for me, cheap, were super easy tubeless, good grip and road rolling not too bad

trailwagger
    Free Member

If you have clearance for 50mm then Donnelly Xplor MSO are worth a look, good tread but not so nobbly that they drag on smoother surfaces, and the extra volume is cush.

alestico
    Free Member

Not wanting to do a thread hijack but I’m interested if @luv2ride or someone else has weighed the Cinturato Gravel M 650b x 50 ? There’s conflicting information online with the manufacturer claiming 550g, yet a review online said it’s 663g, which is a steep difference.

@d42dom
    , did you have the M or H version of the tire? There are reviews that have mentioned the H version getting punctures, whereas with the M there doesn’t appear to be such experiences.

alan1977
    Free Member

Interested in this
    Recently picked up a Saracen levarg that came with wtb byways
    Super fast on the road, my first experience of anything efficient on the road
    But actually useless in the current conditions off road
    Wondering what a good compromise would be. The halo grx appeared on my radar earlier
    But those pirelli m tyres sound interesting too
    Or just go for a resolute as its wtbs suggestion for what I’m really after
    But will I lose much on the road? The slick byway doesn’t even grip much on a damp road, must admit I haven’t had the cajones to try to lean it over yet

d42dom

did you have the M or H version of the tire? There are reviews that have mentioned the H version getting punctures, whereas with the M there doesn’t appear to be such experiences.

We are using the M version, thankfully we’ve not experienced anymore punctures for the last few weeks though, hoping it was a run of bad luck

13thfloormonk

Im now looking for tyres for general byway, towpath and light off-road larking

This was my brief for a (700) gravel tyre, and I settled for a Vittoria Terreno Dry. Has been faultless in everything except properly sloppy mud.

Obviously cornering in the mud is ‘exciting’ but at least it’s predictably so.

Have just ordered some in 29er size for my hardtail too for some slightly rockier trips I’m planning this summer…

rOcKeTdOg

Currently running 47mm sendero front, 42 resolute rear while it’s winter. Will be 2x resolute a in spring, summer & autumn

ceramicmatt

Using wtb resolute 700c on both front and rear. I like the profile and suitable for most conditions

neila

Well the wheels arrived this week from RyanBuildsWheels, Factotum Gravel and very nice they are too. First off I have some 47 GravelKing SK (got em cheap from Merlin) going on tubeless when I get the time but I will probably go for some Teravail Rutland’s in the future.

h4muf
    Free Member

Ooh,just ordered same wheels as you! Any good?

ductions
    Free Member

@rOcKeTdOg how are you getting on with that combo, I’m thinking of doing the same thing for winter slop, but the sg2 versions. Is there a big difference in diameter between sendero and resolute, since I think the sendero is “road plus” but the resolute isn’t?

rOcKeTdOg

@ductions getting on ok, the sendero certainly gives more confidence when turning in on muddy stuff, the back will break away first but i’m pretty much used to that after riding mtbs and i can cope with it for the bonus of less rolling resistance on harder surfaces, last year i ran sendero front and back and it was literally a bit of a drag.

difference in width is only 5mm 42/47 so not really noticed it, especially as i can run the front slightly softer for more grip

PXL_20210129_132655872~2

neila

@h4muf The wheels are great, had a couple of rides on them so far and all seems good. The Bitex hubs pick up up fast and in orange they’re quite blingy. The GravelKings were tough to get on the rims but went up with a track pump and with a dose of OrangeSeal I haven’t had to top up the air at all.

ductions
    Free Member

That cassette looks enormous! Thanks, I’ve just pulled the trigger on SG2 Sendero and Resolute. I don’t think my Genesis Day One would comfortably fit the 47c Sendero on the rear anyway. I really hate tyre shopping, glad that’s over with.

Rivett
    Free Member

Got to say, been impressed with WTB Resolutes.

ductions
    Free Member

Resolute and Sendero fitted to my Genesis Day One, wheel rebuilt to 27.5 just last week, so I’ve never ridden this size wheel before.

Despite knowing the widths of the tyres, I was expecting them to be much more voluminous/bulbous. For example my 700c gravel king slicks are fat and round, these just seem skinny, but I’ll see how they go in the mud.

Loads of clearance on the frame and forks for slightly wider tyres in the future.

alan1977
    Free Member

killed a byway, sligh skid to a stop and a stone slashed hte centre tread/slick… nice spray of sealant..
    can’t be doing with that fragility, so i will be shopping for somethign with more meat in the centre, and possibly a bit more grip on wet roads

alan1977
    Free Member

ordered the gravel king sk’s .. seem a similar weight.. good reviews.. bit more tread off road… FWIW
    also a great price comapred to anything bar huntchinsons that i could find

packs

killed a byway, sligh skid to a stop…

That must have been very bad luck, I had a set of byways (650×47) for 2.5yrs and must have done at least 15K km on them, a lot off road. No punctures or slashes. The sidewalls started leaking in the end. They’re incredible slow though (thick rubber apparently?).
    I’m going to try some of the Rene Herse Switchback Hills and see how they roll/hold up.

alan1977
    Free Member

wow, the slash was next to nothing, so me saying i killed it was a bit extreme, a small piece of gravel.. the sealant fixed it, but being potentially 10’s of miles away from home i want something as durable as possible
    I should add, i dont think these are SG2
    I havent had any confidence in them on the wet road, and they are comical on wet dirt paths…
    maybe the mistake i made was going at relatively high pressures.
    hoping hte gravelkings give me more confidence, and a litttle bit of grip off road without slowing hte bike too much on the road

sowler
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some Teravail Rutlands 700 x 47 Tan and in the durable flavour. Hoping for good things, they seem to be well reviewed. They do them in 650 sizes too.

scotroutes

I’ve been running Byways for a couple of years. Really nice but they are overwhelmed in some of the conditions I want to ride. I now have Rutlands but there’s been snow and ice since I fitted them last year so I’ve no idea quite what they’re like yet. I’m hoping for the same grip/speed as Nano 40s but with the added cush of a 47mm tyres.

packs

Yes I agree, byways don’t cope with mud/wet roads very well.
    I ended up going with Ehlines (light) which are quicker believe it or not. I almost went Rutlands as heard good things about them too. Great tyres from Teravail.

Also ran Resolutes for a couple of months which are fast and grippy but was hitting the rim as I ran them super low pressures cross style to get the comfort. Shame they’re not 47mm.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Sorry but… 650b Gravel Tyres’ is closed to new replies.