Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sorry but… 650b Gravel Tyres
  • Premier Icon neila

As per the Custom Wheel build thread, I’ve just ordered some 650b wheels for my Tempest. Im now looking for tyres for general byway, towpath and light off-road larking with some road as well. What options over GravelKing SK in 47c would anyone recommend. Thanks.

Premier Icon Caher

Tried a few but settled on Gravel kings. Have heard that Rene Herse Babyshoe are supposed to be quite good.

Premier Icon peajay

Wtb resolute 42 haven’t let me down, the byways were sketchy if it was wet and seemed to pick up punctures.

Premier Icon neila

Rene Herse are a bit spendy for me, I’ll look up the WTB Resolutes but GravelKings still seem best bet so far.

Premier Icon luv2ride
    Free Member

Pirelli Cinturato M 50mm. Great all-rounder and gripper than GK SKs

Premier Icon speccyguy
    Free Member

I’ve probably done more gravel Kms on gravelkings than most but I wouldn’t go back after switching to Teravail Cannonballs.

Premier Icon neila

Cheers, I’ll look up the Pirelli and Teravails.

Premier Icon winston
    Free Member

I have WTB Sendero’s on mine. They are very good<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> in the mud which is what I need them for, but quite draggy on road and you have to use them tubeless as they are  puncture magnets.</span>

I must admit I’m not 100% convinced by 650b. I thought I’d love them and it might just be the bike, they are on an Arkose X but I reckon the handling is actually worse than with 700c. I’ll use them for the rest of the winter but if I can’t get used to them then its back to 700c and Nano’s.

Premier Icon pigyn
    Free Member

If you can fit 50mm the Hutchinson Black Mambas are really nice, pretty fast, decent grip and you won’t find anything easier to fit or inflate tubeless 👍👍

Premier Icon ojays

I have Senderos as well on my Tempest. I really like them and I don’t find them that bad on the road if you are doing something that is tilted more towards off road. I’ve taken them down some pretty rough tracks too and they have been good, great in the slop. I run them low too – 25-30 and they are really comfy.

Watching this with interest though as it’s that sloppy now that I’m adding more back roads and non puddle rid sections, so considering something a bit faster but still good for off-road and able to handle some slop. The Resolutes Id have gone with but at 42mm I don’t really see the benefit of using 650b. Those Pirelli look interesting in 50mm though, might have a crack at those when I have some spare cash. I think you want to go 47mm minimum or you might as well stick a 38/40 on a 700cc. Bigger than that on a 700 for me just seems like a lot to spin up for a gravel bike. Terravail look nice too.

Premier Icon neila

^^ that was my thought on the Resolutes, 42 is not big enough. I already have some 38 G-Ones on the original Tempest wheels that I use for more gravel than road rides but they’re somewhat lacking in the rougher stuff. If the Resolutes came in 48 I’d already have ordered them.

Premier Icon d42dom

I’m running the Pirelli tyres 650x50mm, punctured the other day but there is a lot of small flints about where I ride at the moment. Don’t seem to drag anymore than my 700x38mm Vittoria mix. Running 30F and 34R on gravel, mud and road. Hopefully the punctures wont be to regular as I have had 2 this winter across both bikes which is 2 more than I’ve had in the last 3 years…

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What about the new (to me at least) G One variants including the Ultrabite?

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/gravel-reader/schwalbe-g-one-ultrabite

Premier Icon ojays

Are the Pirelli tubeless? If so have you punctured with tubes or set up tubeless?

Premier Icon neila

I’m already using the G-One All Round in 700c x 35 and 40 but not seen the Ultrabite, anyone using them?

Premier Icon d42dom

Pirelli are tubeless and set up tubless, the puncture I had was with a tubeless set up. If this is relevant my mate on Panaracer SK 650×47 had 2 the week before, as in my previous post the winter rain has bought out loads of small flints over the last couple of weeks, how any tyre would fair is hard to say.

Premier Icon ojays

Cheers d42dom

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

Conti raceking 2.0 for me, cheap, were super easy tubeless, good grip and road rolling not too bad

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

If you have clearance for 50mm then Donnelly Xplor MSO are worth a look, good tread but not so nobbly that they drag on smoother surfaces, and the extra volume is cush.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.