Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sorry! another tyre thread – faster than Big Betty's, more grip than Advantage
  • big_scot_nanny

right sorry about this, but these tires are expensive and I am looking for the right pair for my NP Mega for general riding.

I have Big Betty 2.4 FRs on trailstr compound- they are wonderful in the alps (on the downs), grip like shit on a stick in any conditions, but my god they are draggy and slow. Seriously, feels like I have a puncture. So for normal trail riding (i.e. when you have to pedal up and along), they are hell.

But my light summer combo of Advatge rear and onza ibex front are a bit pish in winter conditions.

I am so sorry to ask, but is there a tyre with the grip, or close to the grip, of the Big Betty, but rolls a hell of a lot faster and still work in the mud?

Der Barons?

opinions greatly appreciated.

Kev

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Hans Dampf.

matt_outandabout

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Der Baron is a monster, I am never pedalling mine up a hill ever.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Barons (Not Der ones mind) are much better an nowhere near as heavy.

big_scot_nanny

Sorry, meant Barons!

Hans Dampf is on the list, but a quick google makesme think they may be just as draggy as the Big Betty’s.

Barons look good, XR4s seem a bit ehavy and draggy also?

Thanks all, any more thoughts?

Kev

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hans Dampfs I Like on the front, barons on the rear. Think of it as resistance training!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Hans dampf are not that draggy at all and stick really well even at higher pressure. highroller also very sticky

big_scot_nanny

I don’t want **** resistance training! 😆

I want to be able to get up the **** large hills around here without feeling like I riding through treacle (seriously, the Big Betty’s are ridiculous). 😀

But still not spin out on any dodgy surface (technique and fitness not withstanding). 😳

mactheknife

XR4 are anything but draggy. Ace tyres.

jam-bo

Hoping Evans come through with my xr4 order ..

matt_outandabout

XR4 are anything but draggy. Ace tyres.

in 2.35TLR, definately more grippy than an Ardent 2.25, up there with an AdVantage 2.4(!) for size n grippy, but faster than Ardent. Monster / comical size carcass, but light and roll better than they should. Certainly better in mud.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/review-bontrager-xr4-235in-tyre-12-46052

br
    Free Member

XR4s seem a bit ehavy and draggy also?

Yep, they are – I’ve run one all year. Replaced with a Minion DHF single-ply for winter.

Northwind

Standard Baron is just a 2.3 and comes up just slightly under- decent size but not massive.

chiefgrooveguru

Rubber Queen 2.2 BC UST is very impressive. Rolls remarkably fast, great grip in all directions in the dry and wet and pretty decent in serious mud when you drop the pressures. I can’t understand how a tyre that brakes and drives so well can roll fast too? New XR4 looks good, though the 2.2 version is much smaller volume and lower knobbed than the old one, whilst the new 2.35 has bigger knobs and a carcass like the RQ 2.2’s (ie big!) I believe all the different XR4 versions have different carcass layup and tread/carcass compounds too, to complicate matters…

big_scot_nanny

OK, thanks all, first choice will be determined by what LBS has in stock this morning, if they have nowt then it’ll be online. 🙁

I had BC RQs a few years ago when they first came out, just bought them then sold the bike they were on so never really got a chance to ride them much. I agree they rolled well, however the tread pattern seems a bit complex to she’d mud well? ❓

On the 29er, I use beavers in winter and Ardents for the rest, and they suit it great (although beavers are as puncture resistant as wet paper, and Ardents are truly horrificly bad in the mud – reminds me of Farmer Johns back in the day – I don’t care if tomac raced on them in California, in the west of scotland they were useless!). 😆

But my 26er is for more Afro riding and tire choice a bit trickier. :mrgreen:

Appreciate the input as always! 🙂

fizzicist
    Free Member

Did 2000km of Trail riding on XR4s last year. Vastly better than Minions or High Rollers. Not a single flat either 🙂

big_scot_nanny

Jesus, just read some of that back, iPad auto correct in full swing. Afro riding? FFS! 😆

LBS had Hans Dampf, so that is what is going on. Will report back.

Kev

chakaping
    Free Member

The OP this morning…

PS: Just get Minions.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sorry! another tyre thread – faster than Big Betty's, more grip than Advantage’ is closed to new replies.