Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sorry… a which car question
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Just to set my credentials on the table. I know next to nothing about cars, they don’t really interest me apart from their functionality. I presently own a 2001 Berlingo and SWMBO has a Mini. I currently do more miles on my bike than in my car but I guess this is about to change.

It seems there is a chance a car may be provided via work and at present, I need to come up with some ideas for consideration.

My criteria are that it needs to be economical, quite smart i.e. not a tonka toy, have the capability of carrying an XL 29er. I don’t mind if the bike has to go on an external rack but the car still needs decent boot room so an estate isn’t out of the question. I guess cheap servicing might be nice too.

I don’t mind low mileage second hand, in fact I have only ever bought one brand new car.

Any ideas?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Work scheme are you’re work offering?

Cash/allowance to buy your own car < X yrs old

or

pick from the following list.

slowjo
    Free Member

No there’s no list to choose from so it is pretty much up to me.

It doesn’t help that they haven’t put any numbers on it yet. The guy I’d be working with has one of those big Volvo 4×4 things (it is 4 years old now) but I’m not sure I’d want something that large. If we use that as a guide.

Cougar

I’ve had a (new shape) Mondeo for the last four years, and it’s not put a foot wrong other than minor niggles quickly resolved by Ford. Can’t recommend it highly enough. Cavernous boot space, and you could get a small eastern European country in the back of the estate version. The lease is about to end on mine and it’s only “do I want the same car for eight years?” that’s dissuaded me from getting another one.

Before that I had a Passat, also great, apart from the brain-dead electronic handbrake. Only real criticism is it doesn’t feel as modern inside as some.

So, I’d recommend you buy a Mk4 Mondeo hatchback, and buy my roof bars for bike racks. (-:

br
    Free Member

If work is buying and you don’t care about cars get the one with the lowest (tax/allowance) cost (plus mpg if you pay for fuel) that fits your criteria.

If you are buying, do the same but focus on all costs; ie depreciation, fuel, servicing, insurance, tax – that fits your criteria.

hora
    Free Member

Sounds like a Honda Jazz IMO.

djglover
    Free Member

Skoda Yeti

I have a BMW 330i and a Yeti. I grab the keys to the Yeti every time, such a superb car. Not a 4×4 monster truck but higher off the ground than most cars but still handles like a hot hatch due to the 4×4 and a wheel at each corner

Did I say I love it, no I love it. I only like the Beemer

Murray

@Cougar, can you fit a bike in the boot with the seats up? When my X-type old Mondeo dies I’ll probably go for a new Mondeo.

Cougar

Yeah. Dunno about a 29er, but a regular bike fits without a problem. Can get a couple in with room to spare if you drop the front wheels out.

hunta

+1 for Skoda.

I picked up a year old Superb estate recently. In top spec (Elegance) Skodas have the majority of the bells and whistles you could ask for as standard. You might not care about cars but these things are appreciated once you have them, assuming the budget stretches. If not you still get an excellent spec for your money at every point so far as I can tell. All part of the VW group (VW, Audi, SEAT) so the stigma and reliability previously associated with the brand no longer apply. Not one for the badge snobs perhaps, but a bargain for everyone else.

The Superb is big. Seats down you could easily get 3 bikes (4?) in with front wheels off plus clobber – not done it yet but I reckon you could probably do it with only part of the split seat down, allowing driver + 2 passengers. Octavia is a more ‘standard’ size for an estate, or the Yeti if you prefer the higher driving position.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like my C-max, so given a free choice and some more money I’d probably get a mondeo estate and a diesel engine*. The only thing I’d miss is the headroom on the back which is ace when using it as a mini-campervan.

*I hate diesels, but I have done 30,000miles in the last 18 months so another 10mpg would have been appreciated.

Murray

Thanks Cougar

jambalaya
    Free Member

@slowjo – quite hard to answer your query as it’s so broad

Any mid-sized hatchback will do what you want (as with seats down you have your large boot)

craigxxl
    Free Member

Don’t even think about a Pug 508. Just had the misfortune to have one for the last couple of weeks. Never driven such a dull, poor handling and uncomfortable car.

Murray and Cougar +1

headpotdog
    Free Member

I got a VW Passat Estate(12 plate) as a company car earlier this year and I’ve been really impressed with it so far.

Spec is excellent (DAB radio :D, cruise control, electric everything…), the boot’s massive, the handling is way better than I thought it would be and the fuel economy is superb, although it’s never going to scorch the tarmac with a 1.6 Tdi engine though. Real bonus is that I save a packet on company car tax cause of the low C02 rating though.

I’d have loved a BMW 3 touring or an A4 Avant, but both would have been more expensive on tax and personal contributions & neither would have taken my kids, dogs and bikes as well as this does.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Get some kind of Honda.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

If functionality is what matters they win every time.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Everyone gravitates towards a brand…..be it Skoda or Audi or Ford, you have to start with the brand you feel comfortable with and go from there.

BTW I hired a Yeti on my ski trip last year and was also impressed. A bit powerless for my liking but well put together.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Pug 5008 impressed me earlier in the year in Norway – cavernous, 50+ to the gallon with the 1.6 engine, every toy imaginable and more that you didn’t!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sorry… a which car question’ is closed to new replies.