Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sore back
  • evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

Was wondering if someone could recommend me a mattress, i wake up most mornings with sore back and shoulders and think a new mattress may help.
    I’ve never had a memory foam one and am wondering if anyone has used one and if it helped.

footflaps

I find that soft mattresses upset my back, but as long as it’s firm, it makes no difference what type it is.

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

Yeah i’m either going for a firm one or memory foam, was just wondering if the memory foam would be a better option, thanks ff.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Something with 1200+ springs in should help.. Haven’t you a John Lewis near by you could bounce on a few there, like I did last week.
    I ended up getting JL’s own branded mattress with 1200 springs in, so far I’ve slept in it 3 times and the first night was very odd and disturbed, 2nd night much better and last night the best nights sleep I’ve had in sometime.
    My old mattress was only 5 years old, again bought from JL, but I chose a thinner mattress and a top thingy that was about 2″ thick, once that had squished down (filled with down) it was just a couple of trenches on the mattress, so I got shot of both.
    Good mattresses can be mighty expensive, upwards of £1200 if you want some fangled thingy, but mine was £699 and I think that’s quite a lot of moolah, but hey..
    It’s quite firm, but I’m going to get an 1″ topper thingy on it to soften it up a bit.

HTH

globalti
    Free Member

Try sleeping on a camping mat on the floor for a week to see if the back feels better. A sagging mattress is often the cause.

gusamc
    Free Member

gf uses a mattress topper – might be worth a try, get 2″ or deeper one I’d suggest

footflaps

On our previous bed (now in spare room) we had a £500ish Sealy Orthopedic mattress, which I really liked. We then bought a much bigger King Size bed from Habitat, but as it was European size, were really limited on choice of mattresses. Ended up spending all of £200 on a super firm one from http://www.mattressnextday.co.uk/, which seems as good as the Sealy one. Might not last as long, but been ok for a couple of years so far.

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

Yeah i think 699 is a lot of money also, 200 is pretty cheap to get a good mattress but who deosn’t like a bargain.
    I’ve tried the whole lying down on them in store but don’t really get an idea that way, maybe i should take my slippers and spend the night.

colournoise

Firmer might not be the way to go…

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

Firmer might not be the way to go…

any reason why?

jonba
    Free Member

When we got a memory foam one I really noticed the difference. I’ve got used to it now but when we stay in Hotels or at friends I find it noticeable how much worse normal mattresses are. My wife was the main instigator of the memory foam idea. I was skeptical as I wanted a harder mattress. Did the trial thing and decided it was well worth it.

We got a Tempur one. It was eye wateringly expensive but I spend more on bikes and less time on those. I imagine the non Tempur ones are just as good these days. I think it is “only” pur foam.

jonba
    Free Member

I should add,, have you tried Pilates? I started to go a few months ago. Started off a bit tame, didn’t even feel like exercise but it is a progressive course and the stuff is much harder now. Feel noticeably more balanced when I try and do anything strenuous and flexibility/aches and pains from riding are less bad.

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

Thanks jonba, never tried pilates, intend to also do more/any exercise to help my back also, may give it a go. do you do a class or is it a dvd based routine?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sore back’ is closed to new replies.