Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • sore ar*e
  • mdavids
    Free Member

Been cycling for about 8 months now and for the last couple I've been really struggling with a sore backside as my rides get longer. I've got a pair of padded under shorts but they're only padded in the crotch area and its the seat bones where I'm getting the pain. Wondering if its possible to get shorts with padding in this area or if I should be looking into a new saddle. If so I could do with a specialized one as I have some vouchers to spend – would any of their gel models improve things over the specialized Format I'm using at the moment? The ones I've looked at don't seem to offer that much more padding to be honest.

tracknicko
    Free Member

try before you buy mate. the only saddle i can get on with EVERY one of my mates claim is the least comfy saddle around…

thomthumb
    Free Member

it could be the position of the saddle – is it level – or there abouts?

saddles are a very personal thing – some fit some dont. unfortunatley you have to try a few to find out.

specialized can measure you which should help you be comfortable.

mdavids
    Free Member

I've tried adjusting the saddle position. Back and forward, tilted up, down and level. Makes very little difference.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

more padding often has the opposite effect to what you'd expect

i like saddles with very little padding but then my bum has been sitting on saddles for 20 years. as tracknicko says, try other saddles. your shorts should still have padding on the sit bones, every pair of shorts i've had has covered this area. you may find you have the angle of the saddle wrong, play around with this first. [EDIT] must type faster!

In general the more time you spend in the saddle the more comfortable you will get, it takes time to build up an 'arse of iron'.

if you've suddenly upped the length of your rides (perhaps because of the recent better weather?) then you'll take time to adjust

I use specialized saddles on my road bikes, a toupe on the merlin and an avatar gel on the tourer, both are very comfortable but have little padding. on the mountain bikes i use WTB SST saddles as this is what i've always had, again little padding but very comfortable

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you are experiencing sit bone discomfort IMO your saddle is either too wide or too narrow, get yourself measured up in a specialzed concept store and buy the appropriate width saddle, although you could just get measured and apply that measurement to any saddle of your choice once you've checked the dimensions.

For example, I have narrow sit bones so I like saddles around the 130mm width range.

mdavids
    Free Member

So I should get my arse measured? Sounds like fun. Also it seems my shorts are rubbish if they aren't giving me any padding here so I'm going to try a new pair first before getting a new saddle. Thanks for the help.

duntstick
    Free Member

Decent padding in shorts makes a big difference. Best ones I've used came with my Cannondale shorts. The ones that came with my Enduras however have a skinny good for nothing pad that snags on my hairy ar5e!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

my cannondale shorts have just been released on bail after serving a short term at the bottom of the bike box for doing unspeakable things to my underneaths.

They seem to be ok for mountainbiking though

get on ok with the endura ones but afraid to say it's assos all the way for the road (well it will be until they wear out, i'm not paying £160 for shorts)

rootes1

is the soreness due to contact (pressure) or chafing?

jonb
    Free Member

DHB Earnley shorts are good value come up well in magazine reviews. I've been using them for years. Recently bought some DHB Knowles which are amazing, but I'd expect that given the high price.

SiB
    Free Member

IME padding in decent lycra shorts/bibs is thicker (more comfy maybe?) than in short liners.

pitduck
    Free Member

try a brooks,b17 arse hammock 😆

ourmaninthenorth

I've got a pair of padded under shorts but they're only padded in the crotch area and its the seat bones where I'm getting the pain. Wondering if its possible to get shorts with padding in this area

Shorts will have pading in all the right areas. These pants of yours sound, er, a bit pants..!

If you're wearing baggy shorts without an in-built liner, buy some regular lycra cycling shorts and wear them underneath the baggies. If doing this, buy bib shorts, which have straps to go over your shoulders, as these are a more comfortable fit.

If the shorts are comfortable (i.e. not chafing), and you're still having problems, then move on to a new saddle. Specialized do offer an arse-measuring service, which ought to help narrow it down.

Make sure your saddle is level (pointing up or down is not good) and then properly adjusted in forwards/backwards moveemnt on the rails so that your sit bones are on the wide bit at the back.

Welcome to the world of riding bikes. Ace., isn't it?! 😀

theotherjonv

Specialized do offer an arse-measuring service, which ought to help narrow it down

My wife would kill to have her arse narrowed down. Just in case she reads this, I love it how it is.

MrNutt
    Free Member

avoid birdlip hill car park?

mdavids
    Free Member

Its the pressure thats the problem rather than chafing. Definately seems that a decent pair of lycra shorts are the way to go as TBH I didnt pay much for the ones I'm using now.
    Great advice thanks all.

bassspine
    Free Member

I may be alone in this, but I have pretty much totally stopped wearing padded cycling shorts, they add discomfort.

(I work on my bike, so I am in the saddle for up to 10 hours a day)

epicyclo

bassspine – Member
    I may be alone in this, but I have pretty much totally stopped wearing padded cycling shorts, they add discomfort.

I have rarely used padding on the saddle or in the shorts. Mainly because I find it less comfortable on a long run.

tinsy
    Free Member

I just jam the seatpost up my jacksie, it saves energy too, as you dont have to fight braking forces with your arms…. 😉

Sounds like you have a specialized bike, their enduro shorts with a removable lycra liner are very nice and hard wearing too, gives you the option to run the same outer short all year with longs under for winter.

JtotheP68
    Free Member

Get the best quality shorts you can afford, check your saddle is'nt too far back, too far forwards, pointing up, pointing down, too high too low. Get a decent shop or knowledgable friend to help you with this.

If you are doing longer rides than normal then your arse will hurt a bit more at the end of the ride, but it will get used to it the more often you do longer distances.

nickc

Been cycling for about 8 months now

Your arse WILL toughen up. Grin, bear it. etc etc.

titusrider
    Free Member

oh and as it hasnt been mentioned its poor form to wear underwear with lycra, commando only or you get painfull seams…

ps padded shorts without sitbone padding? are they from aldi or something?

tinsy
    Free Member

Your arse WILL toughen up. Grin, bear it. etc etc.

Crap advice….nickc

From the sound of his type of undershorts its a wonder he made 8 months.

nickc

[shrugs/]

Start a new activity, your body will adapt over time. OP's sit bones WILL get used to sitting in a saddle eventually. shorts and saddle shape will make a difference of course, but you've got to get your arse used to sitting on a narrow perch, and realistically only time will do that.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Your arse WILL toughen up. Grin, bear it.

Much the same advice as Dave Cameron got on his first day at Eton

+1 to the advice about getting measured up. As a man with an ass worthy of a wide load sign, I was rather surprised to discover that, under all the flab, are a fairly narrow set of sit bones. Getting the right width of saddle was enormously helpful.

I also wouldn't be without my Assos Chamois Cream for longer rides – apply carefully to the chamois (NOT straight to the scrotum and tisn't) and don't forget to wash your hands before you head out, or rub your eyes.

If you don't like the tingling sensation, I've been told a Vaseline/Savlon mix does the job as well. Never used it myself mind – I just Man Up and Take the Tingle

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

minty arse lard is to prevent chaffing, it'll do nowt to prevent bruising

and it should be applied straight to the skin really, specifically to problem areas

sticking it on your bollocks may be fun but if you are getting chaffed bollocks then you're either buster gonad or have more serious issues!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘sore ar*e’ is closed to new replies.