Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Sora or 105?
  • Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Getting close to dropping the cash on a new road bike, went to size one up last night and its gorgeous (Mekk Poggio 1.5).
    Thing is, it has a Sora 9 speed groupset and I’ve seen another Mekk for £100 more that has a 105 10speed groupset.
    Normally this would be a no brainer but the 105 is a 11-25 cassette whilst the Sora is 11-28 and i suspect I’ll really need the extra help on the climbs.
    Plus, the 105 bike is slightly larger (48 v 47cm) frame.

Considering i know nowt about road groupsets will i really miss having the 105 groupset?

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

shifters will be nicer to hold, but actual performance won’t be any worse. Sora will probs get ‘sloppy’ quicker

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

TBH the only thing in interested in is are the hoods/STI units comfortable to use. I have a 2×9 on my hybrid and i do 50+ mile rides with no problem.

Spares and variety are what would get me hedging for 105 and 10sp. I’ve just bought a sora equipped bike. It works fine and is plenty for me but I have noticed the choice for 9 speed parts is limited.
    You could always get a new front ring or cassette if you bought 105. Whatever you do, get the one that fits best. **** the group set.

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

That’s a good point, i think the 47cm Poggio is a better fit but would ideally like to try them back to back but no one shop stocks both!
    The poggio is stunning for a 1K bike, full carbon and bonkers light 🙂

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

I’ve got both, although my 105 is a bit older. Hoods are pretty much the same to me. 105 shifters are a lot nicer though.

Premier Icon TomB
    Subscriber

Does sora still have the gear cables emerging from the shifters? I’d go the extra 100 just for hidden cable routing and 10 speed. A new cassette is not expensive if you want to go to 28t. I’ve got 105, it’s good gear.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

My Sora does, but there may be newer versions out now.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

2012 or 2013 Sora, ie thumb shifters or paddles. I’ve a Giant Defy on the way as a winter bike with the latter, and as its basically 2012 Tiagra I’ve no issues.

andrewh

Those little buttons are the side of Sora shifters really annoy me, and make holes in my gloves. For that alone I would go 105. TbH not much different elsewhere but the shifter are the bit you have most to do with as you use it

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Don’t mean to sound completely stupid (but i will) but can you explain thumb shifters and paddles please? 😳

crikey

105 is a nicer groupset by far, and the sizing will work out better for you in the long run.

The new 105 shifters are excellent; I replaced my 10 speed Ultegra shifters with 105 ones because I like the shape and the changed pivot point makes the braking noticeably better.

Have it Muddy!

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

105. New cassette if needed, hardly pricey.

crikey

Don’t mean to sound completely stupid (but i will) but can you explain thumb shifters and paddles please?

The bottom of the range Shimano shifters use a button operated by the thumb on the inside of the shifters.

Farther up the range, all the shifting is done by using a small lever behind the brake lever.

Like this:

Sora:

But 105, Ultegra, DuraAce:

NB: That’s new 105, with the hidden cables, not old 105 which is like this:

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

muddydwarf – Member
    Don’t mean to sound completely stupid (but i will) but can you explain thumb shifters and paddles please?

Before Sora 2013, Sora has little “button” on the inside of the hoods for shifting in one direction, and flick the lever for the other. All other groupsets have a “paddle” behind the brake lever following its curveture to change down. So its synonymous with the lever movement, and gears can be change up and down changed from the drops.

For 2013, this is also the case for Sora – prior to that you need to use the little button on the side of the hoods with your hands in the “on the hoods” position.

Edit: beaten by Crikey’s excellent graphical representation of my ramblings.

andrewh

I’ve got an old 105shifter with the cable out the sode, and a Tiagra front one. Both way better than the Sora on the winter bike. Tiagra not option for you? Same flappy paddle as 105 but cheaper

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Ah, gotcha. Yes, i noticed the little button on the cheaper bike i used for sizing last night. The Sora set on the Poggio is paddles/lever as above.
    The 105 bike might be fantasy anyway as its EBC in Manchester and they don’t appear to have it in the 48cm size, and as its a special offer they may not have it again.
    Still, Leisure Lakes wont have the poggio ready for two weeks so plenty of time..

..but i want a new bike now!!!

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Just upgraded from 2012 Tiagra shifters to 5700 105 on my commuter. Difference is night and day. I recall on one of your other posts you mentioned about having small hands – the pivot point for the brake has been changed to make it more effective on the 105, so you might find braking a bit easier compared to Tiagra/Sora. IMO defo go with the 105.

HTTP404

As above.
    If its 105 5700 then they will have different pull on the levers which enhances brake performance hugely with the right calipers.
    If its 105 5600 then they’re pretty much what Tiagra is now.
    The 105 5700 levers are really nice to have.

Sora is OK but really 10-speed would be ideal – as 9 speed could limit your drive train options later.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

muddydwarf – Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p15-sora-2013/

Kryton57 – Member

muddydwarf – Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p15-sora-2013/

That says stock available end of July .

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

I’m going to call EBC back tomorrow and see if they can get that 105 equipped bike in, its an ‘endurance’ fit as opposed to ‘classic’ fit with a taller headtube but a bigger seat tube.
    If they can get it then worth a punt, if not its the Poggio with an upgrade down the line.

butcher

I have Sora and find them excellent. They shift beautifully. The real disadvantage to them is not being able to shift in the drops, which would be nice sometimes, but I can live with it.

Normally this would be a no brainer but the 105 is a 11-25 cassette whilst the Sora is 11-28 and i suspect I’ll really need the extra help on the climbs.

You can get a cassette for £15. So not really a deal breaker.

If its the 2G POGGIO P 2.0 (105) the it doesn’t have 105 shifters. It has tiagra shifters. In fact the only piece of 105 on it is the rear mech. Had one in the shop today for a repair.

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Why cant you shift in the drops?
    Forgive my ignorance but as its a paddle and lever system (this year) then surely i could change gear whilst in the drops?

9spd Sora , which is what the OP is talking about have the paddle shifters just like the 105 . 105 would be my choice for an extra £100 although I think the shifting was better on the previous 105 incarnation that didn’t have the hidden cable routing .

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Toppers, the Poggio is the 1.5 Sora model, the 105 equipped bike is the Potenza 5.0 reduced to £1099.00

Aha. My bad. Carry on as you were. 🙂
    For my 2p, for 100 I’d have the 105 equipped bike every day if the week. Shift is great and the fact that 10spd will be more readily available for longer.
    If you change to a 28 cassette be careful with chain length and rear mech too. Should really have a medium cage mech for a 28 cassette with a compact chain set.

mtbtomo

You can, its the old Sora (or current 2300) with the thumb button that is hard to shift from the drops.

mboy

105 is significantly nicer to use than Sora. If you’re buying a new bike from a shop, and the cassette is a bit close ratio for your taste, any shop worth its salt will swap it out for one to suit your needs (after all they can then sell the one they’ve just removed to someone else)… If not, then an 11-28 105 Cassette is only about £35 online these days anyway.

If you change to a 28 cassette be careful with chain length and rear mech too. Should really have a medium cage mech for a 28 cassette with a compact chain set.

Total cobblers. On Shimano these days you can run up to a 30T cog on a short cage mech with a compact chainset. At the very worst you might have to add a link to the chain going from a 25T top cog to a 28T, but 99 times out of 100 you won’t even have to do this.

FWIW I wouldn’t even consider buying a carbon bike with anything less than 105 on it. I don’t know why some manufacturers seem hell bent on putting Sora on Carbon frames just to get the bike to the £1k price point! There’s so many good ally bikes these days that are no heavier than cheap carbon (and often better quality) that come with full 105 kit for the £1k price point after all.

alexdodd

Like the Focus Culebro (Ultegra) and Moda Echo (105), just pulls it off for under 1k in EBC, nice bikes 🙂

mtbtomo

Everyone comments about ‘good alloy frames’…but what constitutes a good alloy frame. Are there any bad alloy frames out there any more?

It seems difficult to get the weight for alloy frames, but manufacturers are more forthcoming with their latest sub 800g carbon offering.

mboy

Everyone comments about ‘good alloy frames’…but what constitutes a good alloy frame. Are there any bad alloy frames out there any more?

Good point. Less than there used to be, but there are a few that stand out. The latest Kinesis alloy frame is just over 1000g apparently for a medium sized frame, though it is £600 on its own. Giant’s Ally TCR is only about 1100g for the frame, and Merida’s Race Lite 904 frame is only about 1200g apparently (on a bike that’s a penny under £1k with a 105 groupset!).

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Just been onto EBC, they are going to try to get the Potenza model in for me. If that’s the right size I’ll buy it, would want them to swap the cassette though.
    Is it the done thing to say “look, I’m ready to spend £1100 right now if you change the cassette for me” ?

ahwiles

yes.

likewise: stem, bars, saddle.

(but don’t take the piss, asking them to replace the boggo aluminium stem with a nice longer/shorter one from the workshop boxobits is fine, asking them to replace it with a ritchey carbon jobby isn’t. etc.)

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Theyve just rung back, can get it in but will be next week which is fine by me 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Sora or 105?’ is closed to new replies.