Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Sopping sweat pouring down my face and my glasses
  • big_scot_nanny

Forget running, I’ve just had a cup of tea, for which the combined effect of temperature and caffeine has nudged my internal thermostat from ‘just ok’ to ‘TOO HOT’ – pass the sweat gutter!

ta11pau1

Saw a “yoof” jogging on the main road yesterday evening. Car read out said 31 degrees. Not a drop of sweat on him – wish I was wired like that

15 degrees, running – I’ll be covered in sweat head to toe after 5k. Hate people who don’t sweat.

The other day, just standing in the garden moving normally, sweat was dripping off my head.

tonyd

After years of taking the proverbial out of anyone wearing one, I recently bought a cycling cap for a long sunny road ride. 5 hours in the saddle and for the first time ever I didn’t get sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes. I’ve put off wearing one on the MTB but think I might do with this weather.

Protects your bonce from the sun as well, which is handy for baldys.

joat

I use the skullcap that zippy linked to on page one, albeit on the road. I did over 5 thousand feet of climbing in the peak district Sunday and didn’t suffer any dripping sweat, and believe me, I sweat for Britain. I think the mesh top helps pull the moisture upwards.

fasthaggis

Friend that I raced with made a micro headband (1 cm wide ) with some sort of rubber v channel beneath it.Set at an angle so the sweat would kinda run off to his neck ,he assured me it was excellent. I never got round to copying it but the small headband bit worked well.That Halo thing looks like it would be hot in this heat.

jimmy748

Another heavy sweater here with a Oakley DTR, no longer get sweat in my eyes, when I’m wearing my £15 On-One XC, I wear a £10.99 for 3, Amazon sweat band, and will carry a couple on longer rides.

mrdestructo

There are several different versions of the Halo for sale where I am:

Fixed band
    5cm, 50-60cm
    2.5cm, 50-60cm
    5cm rear to 7cm front, 50-60cm

Velco strap attaching
    5cm, 44-60cm

I wear a 54-58cm helmet, so any should fit me. But there are three options there to break down.

1) Have it fixed, 2.5cm or 5cm all around
    2) Have it fixed, 5cm rear, 7cm front

3) Velco strap version 5cm all around

If you’ve got no hair like a fair few of us have, having a velcro strap that could be under your helmet attaching plastic straps would be a painful solution? I’d imagine someone with a lot of hair wouldn’t suffer that issue?

And so, if a fixed band, being an excess sweat type person, in a very hot environment (you guys may be having a heatwave, but the Realfeel here has been 37-41c in the last week.) Which of the three fixed bands would you go for? The thinnest possible (2.5cm) and squeeze it out during your water pitstops?

kuman
    Free Member

Helmet without peak and cycling cap all year round. It works for me.

theotherjonv

I’d forgotten how much I sweated until reading this and it inspired me to get my old headbands out. This is an old buff, cut into about 1.5-2″ wide strips. I wore one on last nights quick loop and realised what a difference it makes, and they’re small enough that you can sling spares in a jersey pocket and have a fresh one for after the cafe stop / lunch / whatever.

Everything else seems like over engineered solutions to me?

ads678

I tend to live my life in varying stages of dampness. I usually saturate normal headbands, even in the winter (!) although a full buff when running does work for a while, cut off strips just wouldn’t cut it for me.

Just ordered one of those halo’s so we’ll see if that does the trick. Although might get a cycling cap for road rides as well and give that a go.

luket

I like the Oakley DRT idea and rode the other day with someone who’s very pleased with his, but alas I can’t see it fitting on my 63cm head when the size guide says the L only goes up to 60.

Do any other helmets have the same feature?

Cycling caps don’t go on my bonce, and those headbands look too thick to fit between my head and helmet, although i might try one.

oikeith

I am a sweaty man also, get issues with sweat dripping onto the inside of the lens when riding wearing my Kask Rex and fake Jawbreakers, I ended up going full enduro and just wearing goggles for the descents in the summer, will flip back to glasses for Autumn, but back to goggles in winter as the cold makes my eyes teary in proper cold even when wearing glasses!

TheGingerOne

I haven’t worn my peaked MTB helmet for about a year now. I wear my road helmet with a cycling cap underneath all year round.

Head doesn’t get cold in winter, peak as it is close to glasses keeps the rain off better and in the summer my head is not hot as it keeps the sun off and I have no sweat issues.

Cap wise, Galibier do a large cap which fits my head, most caps come in a single size which are a smidge too tight for me.

fossy

Various skull caps here – from thin with a double brow band, to windproof for winter. It’s enough to absorb the sweat, then evaporate when you are moving quicker with air flow, but with well vented lids.

Looking ahead, Aldi usually do them in their winter cycling sales.

DezB
    Free Member

Just a thought – was the subject supposed to be “STopping sweat..” rather than the slightly more appropriate “Sopping sweat” ?? 😀

big_scot_nanny

Yep! noticed too late to change it, but the autocorrect one works well too, doesn’t it 🙂

jimdubleyou

I usually use a cap or a buff, but have just got a halo off the back of this thread.

Might go for a spin tonight, so will report back on my sweatiness later 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Please report back, i sweat lots and I can deal with the sweat to some extent but it’s the constant dripping of sweat into my glasses that gets me, once a little few drips has happened it impossible to clean them properly without being streaky and awful to wear, and I need them as I wear contacts so I’m willing to try anything

I looked at the halo one years back but never did anything about it, this thread has reminded me to perhaps try it now

continuity
    Free Member

I found the solution in this heat is just to pop the helmet off for the climbs, and put a running visor on. That gets damp, clip to waist and replace with helmet on the down. Dry by next climb.

bigdean

Another sweaty beast here.
    I’ve tried everything including Halo bands and they all give up after a while.
    For me start with nothing so don’t get too hot then after about have and hour try the head band.

Though recently I just don’t bother, no pad in helmet and let it dip away.
    If it does need managing a cycling cap is best, not for stopping but more letting the sweat run along the peak to dip further away from my face.
    Glasses last an hour tops in summer then just give up.

white101

I have Giro lids for road and MTB, recently had to replace the velcro pads on the road lid as they fell to bits with sweating and washing, took to wearing a cap on the road and that solved things a bit but this last week has been painful.

Also, never put sun lotion on your forehead and then forget and go out riding turns a sweaty bonce into eye poison.

big_scot_nanny

Update: Halo arrived yesterday. Early am ride in very warm, humid and dank conditions.

1) +ve – no sweat down face issues, did not remove helmet once (though not a long ride, enough to get a positive mark so far)
    2) -ve – caused more glass fogging – maybe had it too low on my brow and it restricted airflow through the glasses?

pictonroad

from my experience (I need a halo even in the depths of winter).

You need to put it ‘too high’ on your head and loosen your helmet  more than normal, putting the helmet on pulls the halo down so it sits under the helmet, then tighten it.

In summer I’ll still need to take it off and wring the damn thing out every thirty minutes but they’re by far the best solution I’ve found to keep it out of your eyes.

lovewookie

update:
    I bought a standard halo, the one that’s wider at the front than the back. figured more material to soak sweat, the better.

tried lots of things previously and settled on being a long term sweat gutr user as it keeps the helmet air flow free (steady now) and is pretty unobtrusive.

found in recent heat that the Gutr was cascading sweat down my temples and glasses were getting dribbles down the front where they made contact with it, meaning I’d need to stop and clean them off periodically to be able to see.

First ride yesterday evening with the halo. Oh my, what a difference. yes glasses did get a spot of sweat on them when they made contact with the band, but it was so slight it evaporated pretty quick.

2 hours and I was a sweaty mess, but could see fine, the occasional helmet squeeze to get rid of excess moisture (I know) as is standard practice for sweat monsters, and all good.

What a wonderfully simple bit of kit that works! The Gutr’s will be sat in the spares box I think.

luket

A question on the halo…

It supposedly only goes up to 60cm. But I’m a 63. Has anyone with a bigger head got one? How are you getting on with it?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I bought a Halo band on the back of this very thread. Only tried it once so far on a short and not overly hot ride but no sweat running down my shades at all so it looks positive. thanks STW for yet another small improvement to my life.

tjmoore

Funny this topic has come up and has never been an issue for me until the other day and then as soon as I’m going down a trail and especially into a compression, sweat pouring down my face. Odd as although it was humid I’ve ridden in conditions like that loads and not had it before.

Just exceptional conditions maybe, or I’ve hit an age where overnight this has kicked in? 🤷‍♂️

stanley

Following the earlier part of this thread, I bought a Halo headband.

Lifechanging!!
    Really impressed with this simple bit of kit. No more stinging sweat in my eyes. An unexpected benefit is that my glasses stay virtually fog-free. They used to steam up at the slightest hint of a slow/steep climb, but with the Halo in pace my glasses stay almost completely clear.

Great stuff!

(I bought the standard sized, fixed length band)

twonks

Forgot to update the thread after my ride too. I also bought one from this thread. Wore it last week on a ride that was about 26 degrees and humid when I went out.

Still had to stop once to clear my eyes but in those conditions I suspect it may just been sweat from the inch below the band.

On the whole it worked very well and was completely wet through when I peeled it off.

rascal
    Free Member

I bought a Halo off the back of this thread too. Used on a 40 mile roadie Sunday in warmish conditions.,No cascade of sweat but I wasn’t gunning it. It was sopping wet with sweat when I squeezed it out after the ride. I think on harder working, longer rides a squeeze during a ride might be needed but def better than not having a Halo at all.

antigee

Halo. Am I repeating what others have said…hell yes ^^ and in summer for me 31degs is a cooler day

escrs
    Free Member

So im a real sweater, it pours out of me everywhere, no matter what im doing if get gets a little warm ill sweat

Im a long term Sweat GutR user (5+ years) its been great, not had any issues with sweat getting in my eyes, i find it comfatable and its nice and thin so takes up litttle space on my head

So at the start of this year i managed to lose the Sweat GutR in a house move (god knows where it has gone!)

So off the back of this thread i thought id give the Halo sweat band a go

I bought the thinest one they do and decided to try it out today

So my ride was a 12 mile mtb ride with 1650ft of climbing at a temperature of 18 degrees

The Halo sweatband struggled lots, i had to keep stopping evey 4 miles to wring it out as it was getting overwhelmed and dripping into my eyes, plus even though it was the thinest version they do the band made my head hot whch in turn made me sweat more!

Will see if its any better on the road bike but if not then i think ill be orderering another Sweat GutR

bruneep

9c on ride today, no need to worry about this now.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

Sweaty bloke here, always had trouble with sweat in the eyes and blurry glasses. Bought a Halo, works a treat. Then bought a new Oakley DRT5 in a sale, also works a treat. Spoilt for choice now.

leonthepro
    Free Member

So after reading this with interest and bought the Halo 2 band last week. Took it for first ride yesterday and I was impressed. Now it was only 20 degrees here yesterday but it still did its job. Only downside was i didn’t drink enough as I didn’t feel i was sweating but when I finished the ride (2hrs) the band was saturated. Would definitely recommend it also very comfortable.

susepic

So after reading this with interest and bought the Halo 2 band last week. Took it for first ride yesterday and I was impressed.

+1 here too, but bought the slim band. Wasn’t the hottest day, but 6 hours and lots of climbing and no sweat in eyes at all. Well comfy under the hat.

Great stuff

ads678

Got my halo the other day and used for run, only 7k but halo did it’s job, the rest of my a right sweaty mess, but nothing in my eyes!

molgrips
    Free Member

I cut a buff into strips about 5-8cm wide to use as headbands. They help, but by far the most effective tactic is to remove your glasses on climbs and stick them in your helmet vents pro roadie style. At low speeds on MTB climbs insect collisions are far less of an issue. Make sure you wipe your face with the back of a glove before you put them back on.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

What’s the slimmest halo one called? All I can see is standard?

I’d like it as thin as possible but still do it’s job as i fear it may hurt my head with helmet as well if it’s too thick/big?

northernsoul

most effective tactic is to remove your glasses on climbs and stick them in your helmet vents pro roadie style. At low speeds on MTB climbs insect collisions are far less of an issue

Agree with this. I also often tilt my helmet back on climbs to have a clear forehead. Before descents I wipe brow and squeeze the pads and it’s usually fine after that. I carry a couple of pieces of absorbent kitchen roll to help absorb the sweat too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Sopping sweat pouring down my face and my glasses’ is closed to new replies.