Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Sopping sweat pouring down my face and my glasses
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi!

The main issue for which I seek guidance, year round, but rather more prevalent in summer, is to stop sweat pishing dow the inside of the riding glasses, rendering them useless.

I suspect a sweat gutr or Halo thing might be required, but thought I’d seek some opinions.

It’s not constant, but at a specific point. Let’s say about 1hr into a ride, there comes a point when helmet pads reach maximum water threshold. Riding along steadily, or uphill, this is not really a problem. Yes, there is a sweat running into my eyes etc but its not too bad.

But as soon as you are rattling down hill, g-out compressions, landing a jump etc – this forces the helmet onto my head and ‘Whooosh!’ all the sweet is dumped from the pads down my face, and worse, the inside of my riding glasses.

In winter, wearing a buff helps, but eventually that gets saturated too. And would be rather too hot in summer I fear?

I can stop, head down and lean forward, squeeze the helmet onto my head and pour the sweat out. Or sometimes take the helmet off and use a buff or my gloves to absorb some of the moisture. This is, for obvious reasons, not exactly a practical solution.

I also tend to take my helmet off for long extended uphills to minimise the issue too, but this is of course not the safest, and some of my worst falls have been when riding steep uphills.

I am a relative baldy, chuck out a lot of sweat, and this issue pisses me off.

Lynx sprayed on the bonce? Attach an Aerobie around my head as a permanent gutter? Thoughts appreciated!

stumpy01

What helmet is it? A Giro?
    This came up in conversation with a couple of other STWers recently & the common theme seemed to be we all used Giro helmets. The pads in mine don’t go all the way around the front & as such, when they become saturated, they end up pouring all the sweat out down the middle of my forehead & get the same problem. I have a UVEX with less padding, but the same thing doesn’t happen.

What you can do, is when stopped, take your glasses off, tip your head downwards & squeeze the helmet against your head to push the sweat out. It’s a bit grim, but works quite well.
    Or continue to wear a thin buff or one of those roadie cycling caps?

lairdburkart
    Free Member

I tried riding looking up this morning and sweat ran down back of my neck.
    Couldn’t see where I was going though!
    Best rinse my bike as it’s been poring off me this week.
    Maybe might use a roll on deodorant on the front of my bald head!

pictonroad

Halo headband.

forget anything else, I’ve tried them all. You’ll still need to do the helmet squeeze and wring out the headband but it does actually work.

tjagain

Ditch the plastic hat* and get all that lovely cooling breeze thru your flowing locks? surely safer than not being able to see because of sweat in your eyes
    * not a serious suggestion

StuE
    Free Member

Oakley DTR helmet has a silcon sweat gutter thing instead of a pad and works much better than a pad

scotroutes

A buff can work. Single layer, let the long end of it hang over your neck. This not only provides sun protection for your neck but also provides an area for sweat to wick to and dry off a bit in the wind/air.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for a buff here, I wear one all year round when cycling.

thepurist

+1 for Halo headband, more effective than a buff for my industrial quantities of perspiration.

frogstomp

+1 for the Buff. Tried it at the weekend and it worked well.

They also do an under helmet version. I wasn’t sure it worked quite as well as the normal Buff, but it was significantly hotter than the previous test day.

aP
    Free Member

I use a cheap decathlon headscarf thing. It stops the majority of the sweat dripping into my eyes. I do have a gutr but I don’t actually find that it works very well.
    If you’re a cap person I have a mesh cap with peak from chapeau.cc which works quite well too.

Simon

I’ve got a Bontrager Lithos helmet that came with a “NoSweat” pad. It has a silicon strip that that stops the sweat running into your eyes. It works really well, I’m on my second pad after the first one fell to bits, unfortunately the 2nd one is going the same way and I can’t find a replacement in medium.

I’ve just ordered a Halo band to try.

andrewreay

I’ve started using a cap, which is fine…

Until I take my helmet off and get ribbed mercilessly for looking like a roadie.

Works well though.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

periodically face down, push helmet into forehead, drip on floor.. bleugh

beej

A few years ago I bought a Castelli (other brands are available) summer cap – thin, light wicking material with the normal peak.

I don’t ever remember using it, but tried it this morning as I too suffer from sweat in the eyes and on the glasses.

Worked a treat. Just noticed they do an “A/C Cycling Cap” now which seems to have an even lighter hat section.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I cut about 3″ off the end of a buff as the pads had dissolved in my helmet.

Having it hang down your forehead a bit (and extending out to the vents inside) gives the sweat somewhere to evaporate from.

A 1″ strip would probably be enough, and cooler, but the 3″ version doubles as an emergency mask, if a bit grim and smelly.

IHN

++however many for a buff. Buy an el cheapo version from Mountain Warehouse/Decathlon/Trespass/cheapy outdoor retailer of choice, and cut it in half (across-ways, obvs 😉 ). Hey presto, two single layer buffs, perfect size for going under a lid.

I too was sceptical about using them on a hot day, but then got an official ‘hot weather’ Buff as a freebie, so tried it. It worked well, wicking the sweat away and stopping it running into my eyes. However, it worked/works no better than the subsequent versions made, as above, out of a cheapy one.

dthom3uk

Another one for the Halo Headband. One of the best pieces of kit I own. Essential for summer riding.

bentudder

I’ve started using a Buff a couple of weeks ago – assuming I’d have to remove it pretty promptly in the heat – but it’s been great so far. I think pretty much everyone has one by now as the sporting event freebie of choice, so give it a try.
    I also tend to clean the pads in my lids quite often; icky detail that comes from doing lots of offshore racing as a young-un and putting on what looked like dry oilies for a watch: Salt sticks around in fabric after the water that carries it evaporates. So when it gets wet again, you end up with a super-strong and quite nasty salt solution in that fabric.
    I tend to take my bike helmet into the shower with me at the end of a ride and use a shower scrunchie thing and a little bit of shampoo to clean the pads without taking them out of the helmet. If I’m riding two days in a row I have a second, older lid I can use, or I just carefully remove the pads and put a spare set in – although that can make the fabric delaminate from the foam. Endura are great for throwing in a spare set of pads with their helmets. Absolute godsend.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I HATE buffs under a helmet.

A cap is the answer but none of this technical fabric nonsense a basic cotton one is perfect. And the peak is infinity better than the stupid peaks on the helmet for keeping the sun out.

For reference… A sweaty baldy.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Interesting regards Giro helmets, I get this sweaty eyes/glasses issue too, using a Savant.

sparkyrhino

Buffs work great, can be too hot (for me), Have a Oakley Drt5 the silicon strip is very good at diverting the sweat away from the eyes.Always used Urge helmets, the gangster pad they had was great,but dumped the stored contents in one go, usually as you were dropping into a set of steep switchbacks🤣

K

Giro chronicle MIPS here, love the fit but the sweat torrent in the bottom of higher G landings, shoots pretty much always when it’s least convenient. It seems to me that the MIPS/ pads/head sit so well together it draws the sweat in to the pads ready to be dispensed. Squeezing the pads out regularly helps a bit but half way down an interesting descent isn’t happening.

I’ll try a cut down buff.
    The halo band looks like a good solution and wasn’t aware of the product.

bruneep

Cut down buff user here I am tempted by the Halo 2, then I watched this

how long does the compression mark stay on forehead?

twonks

Interesting thread as I suffer from a sweaty bald bonce. My trouble is that at least once a ride it gets in my eyes and stings so much I have to stop, close my eyes and sort myself out.

On the odd occasion I have to close my eyes before I stop as it stings that much. Not a great idea and slightly embarrassing to go with it, so I too will look into the Halo headband.

Should probably look into why my own sweat stings so much as well !

ta11pau1

This is the primary reason I bought the Oakley DRT5 helmet.

I too sweat profusely in anything over 12 degrees, and after a particularly hot day doing Afan W2, where on the 2nd climb back up I was basically drinking my own sweat there was that much running down my face, I swore to find a solution.

The DRT5 helmet gutter is brilliant, has stopped the sweat running down my face, it redirects it to over you ears, and a quick tilt back of your head gets it all running out the back of the helmet – the only downside is for it to work you have to have it fairly tight which means you end up with ridges imprinted across your forehead when you take it off, which can look a little strange!

fazzini

+1 for Halo headband, more effective than a buff for my industrial quantities of perspiration.

So I noticed this especially when I moved to a…Giro helmet! Halo headband is the answer. I was not convinced; I was sceptical; I am converted! Works a treat.

big_scot_nanny

great to hear it’s not just me – the sweat torrent as I ‘oomph’ through a compression is really quite ridiculous.

Thing is, this has been happening for years, finally getting round to doing something about it after this morning’s ride when the second half of a great enduro run was ruined by salt and sweat streaked glasses.

Thanks to Teej for chiming in too – I did wonder if you might 🙂

It’s a MIPs Met Helmet currently, but also happened with Bell, Specialized and IXS in the past – anything with pads basically!

Ordered a Halo – lets see

stumpy01

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    Interesting regards Giro helmets, I get this sweaty eyes/glasses issue too, using a Savant.

That’s what mine is….Savant with no padding right at the front.

twonks

I’ve ordered a Halo band.

Big selling feature of the TLD A3 I bought a few months back was sweat routing but, it doesn’t seem to do anything at all.

Probably don’t have it tight enough or something daft.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Petroleum jelly. Smear a band across the top of the eyebrows and bridge if nose. No more sweat in the eyes.

zerocool

This should solve all your problems.
    Sweat Gutter

My problem is I run far too hot to wear any buff, headband or skull cap I have tried over the years. That an my very large head tends to mean that there is so little space in there anyway most options are uncomfortable.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

How many drug injections did the model have, to not be in fits of laughter in those photos? 😆

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

My trouble is that at least once a ride it gets in my eyes and stings so much I have to stop, close my eyes and sort myself out.

I get this too. And it’s compounded even more when it rains as you get a constant trickle of stinging sweat into your eyes.
    I’m off to look at these Halo things now….

lovewookie

been using a sweat Gutr for over a decade. tried cut up buff, just saturates same as the helmet pads. normal sweatbands too. Just bought a new Gutr and it works well, though they’ve changed the design a bit so it’s not quite as tight on your forehead.
    may try a halo, looks interesting.

masterdabber
    Free Member

I use the Castelli version of the Halo.   Works well for me as I would imagine the Halo one does.

Nice light weight, don’t know I’m wearing it and, for me, it fixes the sweat in the eyes problem.

tall_martin

I’ve been using a buff this summer on the MTB and a cotton cap on the road bike.

Almost solved the problem for me!

Sweaty speky bloke 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Happily using strips of cotton sheet, folded over and tied at the back. Cost me 2/10 of sod-all,and has been working fine for the last 10yrs.

luv2ride
    Free Member

+1 for the Halo. I’ve got the headband and roadie cap version. Whilst good, both seem to have their limits in that they eventually get saturated and stop being so effective. Vasoline on eyebrows and outside corners of eyes also helps (me….)

Just glad it sounds like there are a few of us similarly afflicted, and not just me…!

Also tried a MET helmet with non-fabric pads. OK in doesn’t soak up sweat (then “release” when saturated), but bloomin’ uncomfortable fit…

Saw a “yoof” jogging on the main road yesterday evening. Car read out said 31 degrees. Not a drop of sweat on him – wish I was wired like that

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Sopping sweat pouring down my face and my glasses’ is closed to new replies.