Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Sooo any Leicester riders?
  • chivalry
    Free Member

just wondering if theres anyone on here from leicester area? curious where is deemed good riding round these ere parts.. 🙂

schmiken

Loads of us round here, but beware of the inevitable can of worms that is Bradgate Park!

Check out Western Park, Swithland Woods, Martinsgaw, Whitwick and Cademan woods for reasonable riding.

alanl
    Free Member

Yes, Blaby myself, but rarely use my MTB in Leics. I tend to go to Derbyshire, though am open to going out at night if anyone else is interested. There was an informal group around 2 years ago that usually did Whitwick/Charnwood area but I stopped going as traffic was so bad it was taking me a hour to get the 20 miles there.

MoreCashThanDash

Used to a regular NW Leics riders thread on here arranging weekly rides. Presume they use WhatTwitFaceAgram now

scandal42
    Free Member

We now use Facebook as we had at least 2 serial killer chess players turn up, oh and also a member of the trail Gestapo was scoping us out.

We ride Wednesday nights, email in profile if interested.

MoreCashThanDash

serial killer chess players

Wish we had the numbers to be do discerning….. 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

The land agent from Bradgate actually joined STW to infiltrate our thread and issue warnings! Since then a group of riders have naively tried to communicate with the park, but the balloon has predictably gone up in the last few weeks and it is all up in the air again. Basically the park is a NIMBY-run anti anything new/fun cabal. But there are some fun bits to ride. I am told by others. 😉

The best riding is around Whitwick/Coalville/Bardon. Just get an OS map and look for the woodlands with the tightest contour lines in!

I’m in the same group as Scandal. We are a social-standard mixed ability group who go out once a week for about 2 – 2.5 hours on a Wednesday then talk shit over a pint and a bag of crisps. Cross country whippets may apply, but they will end up opening a lot of gates. Email him if you are keen and a relatively normal person and we’ll see you on a Wednesday. Other desirable skills are bike maintenance and rudimentary first aid given recent rides. 😐

asbrooks

Don’t put yourself down dannyh, you did at great job in getting me off the trail and your sling tying skills are second to none in my opinion.

I am also in this group, as dannyh says we are a right mixed bag. Some of us have great skills and others myself included have none. One thing we all have in common is that we look out for each other.

You’ve picked a great time to consider joining as winter approaches, the local area becomes a real mud feast. But there’s always a good pint at the end of the night as a reward!

MoreCashThanDash

We are a social-standard mixed ability group who go out once a week for about 2 – 2.5 hours on a Wednesday then talk shit over a pint and a bag of crisps. Cross country whippets may apply, but they will end up opening a lot of gates. Email him if you are keen and a relatively normal person and we’ll see you on a Wednesday. Other desirable skills are bike maintenance and rudimentary first aid

If we ever go online to attract more riders, I’m stealing that!

The joys of the opening of the Erewash Trail and the councils decision to resurface most local bridleways over the last 2-3 means that the West Hallam Massive’s mid week routes are pretty solid all year round.

Dull, but solid. We are thinking of having the pint before the ride just to liven it up a bit!

dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t put yourself down dannyh, you did at great job in getting me off the trail and your sling tying skills are second to none in my opinion.

My seemingly pedantic insistence on tying a reef knot (as learnt at cubs circa 1987) was actually a slightly cunning ruse to keep everything calm. However, had I been half as good at recognising a broken collarbone I wouldn’t have stopped for diesel on the way to the hospital.

The joys of the opening of the Erewash Trail and the councils decision to resurface most local bridleways over the last 2-3 means that the West Hallam Massive’s mid week routes are pretty solid all year round.

Dull, but solid. We are thinking of having the pint before the ride just to liven it up a bit!

We’re a bit the other way as most of our stuff is woodland and quarries, so there are one or two quite hairy bits (but not life threatening) if you choose to ride them (no shame in not). Winter rides are proper shit fests, though. At the moment our stuff is in mint condition, still dusty in places, a bit of mud in others but mostly firm and grippy. The combination of nights drawing in with trails still running fast might have something to do with the last couple of months being quite ‘crashy’.

fathomer

I’m always ‘quite crashy’ 😀

But it’s alright, I’ll be going into hibernation soon!

chivalry
    Free Member

think i may need to lose weight… get some kind of fitness level.. (in fact ANY fitness level,,lol) before i start going out with a group.. nothing worse that pitying looks… lmao 🙂

chivalry
    Free Member

plus.. your seriously not expecting me to get my new beasty DIRTY? 🙂
    the first 12 months are surely just for having it your living room to smile at every morning as you come down the stairs? lol 🙂

fin25
    Free Member

Dude, I’m fat (man and bike) and slow. Always wanted someone as shit as me to bimble around with, as the pitying looks of a group are too much for me too.
    Email is in my profile if you want to go for a ride round Charnwood at a leisurely pace.

everyone
    Free Member

Bloody hell there’s literally dozens of us!

chivalry
    Free Member

Who would have thunk it.. Leicester.. The new mtb capital of Europe..

asbrooks

Dude, I’m fat (man and bike) and slow. Always wanted someone as shit as me to bimble around with

@Fin25 where have you been all my life! 😀

fin25
    Free Member

@Fin25 where have you been all my life!

Like I said, bimbling around mediocre trails and bridleways in the East Midlands. And when I say I’m slow, I mean glacial.

chivalry
    Free Member

Definatly fin.. Im not on for trying to get from A to B ASAP… I tend to enjoy stopping at places where I can mess about with jumps.. Or some life threatening steep decline and just have a play.. 🙂
    Unfortunatly as my boys live with me.. Weekday evenings are out.. So limited to just weekends.. 🙁

scandal42
    Free Member

Bloody hell there’s literally dozens of us!

Everyone in fact…..

fin25
    Free Member

Weekends are doable for me. I work shifts and only get 1 in 3 weekends off but am always available at least one weekend morning or afternoon/evening a week. Not available this weekend though, going to Calais.

chivalry
    Free Member

and you said you wernt fit! 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Having lived in Rutland, it’s either Chicksands or death by boredom.

fathomer

Yeah, but Rutland isn’t Leicester, we have a couple of hills to the north of the city 😀

MikeG

I’d be up for some slow bimbling round on a fatbike as well, can do evenings or weekends with enough notice to get a pass.
    I’m in Newbold Verdon and finding some new riding nearby would be great.

scandal42
    Free Member

Now we’ve got the numbers I’m going to set up an event.

Red Leicester Rampage

That new development at Bardon Quarry looks ideal.

fin25
    Free Member

Do you not think the word rampage might raise expectations slightly?
    Also, even the angriest nimby would never use the word rampage in regards to my riding.
    That being said, I’m in…where do I sign?

dannyh
    Free Member

scandal42 – Member

Now we’ve got the numbers I’m going to set up an event.

Red Leicester Rampage

That new development at Bardon Quarry looks ideal.

No! no! no!

You’re falling into the CharnwoodMTB trap of thinking that because mountain biking is relatively popular, healthy, fun and doesn’t do any real damage to the environment that you can go above the radar and organise some kind of ‘scene’. The NIMBYs simply won’t allow that. I know you are joking, BTW.

On a slightly serious note, if recent events are anything to go by, the best course of action is what it always has been – keep it low-key and under the radar. By all means organise rides on here, but don’t discuss the ‘Park that cannot be mentioned’. Otherwise you might want to use more covert means to organise rides(!)

Peter Tyldesley (the aforementioned land agent) is probably scoping this thread right now, looking for incriminating evidence. Whilst, at the same time, supposedly offering limited access on the other hand.

Don’t underestimate the NIMBYs.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

If you want to keep it under the radar, maybe best not to mention the “everest of Leicestershire” on an open forum.

To the op. Do a bit of research and go hunting, there are some fun trails to be had in a number of locations. And Much less contentious than Leicestershires premium chav park.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Darn Leicester riders, they were all over the place last season, strutting around in their underpants.

They are a bit quieter now 😉

fin25
    Free Member

So we’re all agreed…none of us really exist and all this mountain biking chat is a figment of our imaginations. 😉

pjm7
    Free Member

I’m in Melton Mowbray. The only place I go is Belvior loop which is ok for xc, but mostly we end up in the peaks, Cannock, Llandegla or further afield.

MikeG

So we’re all agreed…none of us really exist and all this mountain biking chat is a figment of our imaginations.

Based on how little I’ve ridden over the last few years I’m not sure I qualify as a cyclist anymore 😆

chivalry
    Free Member

Pjm . i was looking at that belvior loop on mountainbikerides .. gets good comments!.. 🙂 its about 17 miles yup?? is that supposed to be ridden all in the same day or can it be spread over a month or so 🙂 my fitness aint like it was… 🙂 😀

dannyh
    Free Member

The Belvoir Loop is a nice ride – as said above, it is farmland hacking mostly, but with some nice trails – especially in the bits nearer the castle. It’s a ‘scenery / wildlife / nice day out’ ride – nothing even remotely technical, but then that’s not always the point, is it?

I’ve ridden it a couple of times and also ridden lots of bit of it doing a few of the Viking Challenges.

If you are feeling your way back into fitness/riding, don’t do what I did about three months after getting my first vaguely capable mountain bike. After three months of rattling round the local woods once a week for max 10 miles at a time, I saw the Hollins/Rushup/Roych/Jacobs route on mountainbikerides and saw the comment ‘rite of passage’.

I tooled myself up (March 06)with what I thought was ‘the kit’. Trackie bottoms, free rucksack from WHSmith with a camelback bladder in (tied onto the strap with string), an OS map, compass, and a few spares. Lunch at the chippy in Hayfield, I thought. It was a marginally windy, but mostly misty and rainy day.

It was a rude wake-up call. There were many fallings off, including into a particuallry nasty bog on the top of Rushup and a nearly getting lost incident at Kinderlow End. Granted I did get all the way down Jacobs at the end without dabbing, but it was at a truly glacial pace. I must have looked like a Vietnam Vet as I arrived back at Edale after about 7 hours.

From a sensible ‘not becoming a statistic’ point of view I wouldn’t recommend it in trackie bottoms, but it is one of the most memorable rides I have ever done!

asbrooks

@ dannyh.. I love your spirit of adventure and you made it back safely. What’s your problem? 😆

chivalry
    Free Member

So anyone slow unfit pal out tomorow.. Lol.. Weathers looking Good!.. And I’ve still not ridden my new bike.. Lol.. Sacrilege…

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Thread resurrection – so I moved to Leicester last week from the rolling Oxfordshire Chilterns & Cotswolds. Am a keen xc racer, happy to head out on all day xc rides of up to 100 miles. More than happy riding into rolling countryside and natural terrain, doesn’t have to be mega tech or anything to put a smile on my face, am fairly easily pleased! 😉

Which STW riders are still on here? Any Leicester mtb club rides I could join to get some local routes and riding buddies?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Dunno about any of that but hi from glen parva. *waves*

asbrooks

I suggest you checkout the email addresses in some of the most vocals profiles. Not me though, I’m still out of action.
    My lips are sealed, I’m not giving anything away..!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Sooo any Leicester riders?’ is closed to new replies.