Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sony RX100 v1 – how does is compare to today’s compact cameras?
  • sgn23
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience with the original Sony RX100 from 2012? They are still selling new and with cashback the price is good.

They got good reviews when launched, with a good sized sensor and a reasonable lens. No Wifi or other digital connection seems to be the only significant draw-back for me.

Would I better off going for a similar priced 2018 camera or does this 2012 tech still hold its own, given that compacts aren’t evolving much now that most of their market has moved to smart-phones.

I have the IV – it’s a fantastic little camera. Not sure about the VI, they have sacrificed the fast 1.7 lens for 2.8, but given it a longer zoom. The AF is supposed to be good though. Personally, I’m not bothered about a long zoom on a compact. I’d probably go for the V if I were you

mactheknife

I have the V2 and i love the camera, it does everything i want for a compact. Wifi, flip screen etc.

As usual i bought mine second hand from Ebay and i couldn’t be happier.

jsync

I have the v1 and am always amazed at how well it gets consistently good shots.  It’s so good that even my 2 year old has a high success rate with it.

RustySpanner

Got ours a couple of years ago new for £270, local branch of Wilkinson’s Cameras in Burnley.

Very impressed with the build and  picture quality, only downside is that it’s fiddly to change some of the settings on the fly.

They really are remarkably small, yet the picture quality is superb.

I still  miss a viewfinder tbh,  but apart from that it’s spot on.

Still use the SLR’s when I want to stop and think, they are simple and intuitive to use and offer greater versatility, but for the rest of the time the Sony is ace.

Very happy with it.

Apologies, read your post wrong. You are asking about the mark 1, not the VI, sorry

donald
    Free Member

I don’t recommend the Sony RX100 Mk1. Mine developed a fault when it would switch itself on spontaneously. At a minimum this flattened the battery and additionally strained the lens assembly when it tried to open itself inside a case or pocket.

There are many reports online about this issue with the Mk1. It’s clearly a design fault. Sony were absolutely useless about addressing it. Wouldn’t even entertain discussing the problem. First attempt at fixing it did not fix it. I sent the support person link to several youtube videos showing the problem. Support person claimed not to be able to understand what I was talking about because he ‘wasn’t allowed to look at the youtube Videos at work’. I don’t like Sony and won’t buy another camera from them (although I think that problem was fixed in later versions). I have a Nikon problem with a design issue and they offered a lifetime, unconditional, transferable fix. The contrast between Sony’s behaviour and Nikon’s is marked.

Despite being out of warranty John Lewis helped out with a contribution to a fix. I like John Lewis.

donald
    Free Member
    aP
    Free Member

I have a IV and whilst it’s clearly very capable it drains the battery when not being used and feels a bit plasticky to use, I also have a Nikon V1 which has much better battery life and is rock solid- but ultimately not with the features and the fast lens of the IV and is bigger. If I could buy a modern version of an Olympus XA I would in a heartbeat.

metalheart
    Free Member

I got a mk3 after my canon s100 broke (the classic lens won’t retract problem) and I’ll be honest, I’ve struggled to get to grips. I’ve never managed to get the auto setting to work satisfactorily and not overly happy with aperture priority mode neither. I have to post process to get something I’m happy with…

im not a great photographer at the best of times and it just feels like a battle, so much so I’m contemplating another canon to replace it…

eta: also find the lens a bit soft at long distance (not quite as bad as the s100 though).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Slippery (super-pocketable) little fiddly thing with amazing IQ, appalling UI/ergonomics, no macro to speak of and possible (unresolvable) lens-mech errors.

Wouldn’t have another.  It pushes out great pics though even in low light it performs almost incredibly well if you’ve parience to learn how to get the best from from it.  Still fiddly as **** tho…tiny, tiny slippery buttons and a lens-ring dial controller thing that just spins smoothly so difficult to quixkly select whatever menu items it is assigned to.  ymmv, but while it lived I I hated it as more than I loved it.  Madly frustrating as the IQ was exactly what I wanted –  yet the user-experience/ergonomics just arghhh.

DrJ

Used a mk1 on a trip as backup when my dslr started playing funny buggers. Hard pushed to tell the difference between the pics when I got home. Only drawback was that shooting in bright light was a bit hit and miss on the back screen so I went right out and bought a mk4.

(Sold the mk1 to someone on here – hope it’s still going strong)

Edit. Yes, the UI is classic Sony. I just set it up and use a limited number of options.

sgn23
    Free Member

thanks for your help guys. I’ve decided to skip the Sony and gone for a Canon G9x mark ii instead, which seemed to give the features I wanted at the right budget.

boxelder

My Mk1 has just died. Haven’t used it that much. It won’t recognise the SD card. Tried various fixes and sent it for professional repair – quoted at £270……..the price of a new one.

Looking at other options now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sony RX100 v1 – how does is compare to today’s compact cameras?’ is closed to new replies.