Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sony A6500 ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

looks perfect for my needs, just what lens ?
    recommendations welcomed, mostly for travel and sports.
    TIA

siwhite
    Free Member

Have you looked at a Panasonic GX8 as well? I compared them side to side for an hour in John Lewis and ended up with the Panasonic. The eye tracking autofocus and the 30fps 8mp mode swayed it for me.

Too tip – if you are planning a comparison trip, take your own SD card as the store cameras don’t have them and you can’t try shooting modes without them.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have a look at the Dyxum lens database – select e-mount and have a browse.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve got an a6000 with a Sony 50mm f1.8, a Sigma 19mm f2.8 and a variety of Nikon manual lenses which I rotate via ebay as I get bored or fancy a change.

The 50mm is a beautiful lens, incredibly sharp and brilliant for portraits as you would imagine but the 19mm Sigma lives on there most of the time, or a manual lens as needs dictate.

cp

OP, If you’ve not already then I’d go and try some in hand – as above, John Lewis is a good starting point as they have loads out you can try at your leisure.

I went in expecting to come out with an a6000 in the new year, as they were reduced well below what they are now. I ended up with a Panasonic GX80. Much much nicer build, way more features, lovely pancake lenses available, nicer screen, felt like faster focus (no matter what reviews said!), much quieter shutter operation etc….

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sounds like you want a standard kit zoom. Travel would usually be best served by something around 35mm focus lenght and sports will need a telephoto length. Either you buy two lenses or get the standard kit zoom.

My strong recommendation would be to buy second hand from an established retailer such as Wed or Park Cameras.

john_drummer
    Free Member

If it’s anything like the A200 then Minolta lenses should also fit

<edit> nothing like, really </edit>

geetee1972
    Free Member

Minolta lenses should also fit

Sony bought Minolta back in 2006 as a means to enter the consumer camera market so their original A-Mount (which is what the A200 used) was just Minolta mount by another name. This is why Minolta lenses worked on the A200 and all other ‘A’ mount designated cameras.

The A6500 is a different mount, partly because it’s a mirrorless system and partly because it has a different interface. But still, all Minolta lenses will also work on the A6500 (and all other Sony E-Mount cameras) with an adapter. And if you buy the right Sony adapters, you should also still have AF and other controls over the lens.

So you were sort of right.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

A6000 here, I only use the Zeiss 16-70 F4

Gave the daughter the 16-50mm kit lens for her Sony A5000 she got as body only.

I’d love a few prime lenses but generally can’t be arsed with lens swapping these days.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have the A200, as you may have guessed…
    I bought a new telephoto lens (my words) for it just before I went to Vancouver Island in June. Got some nice pics…

the_lecht_rocks

what about the fuji x-t2 ?

the_lecht_rocks

looks like fuji have it covered in the lens department by quite a margin…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sony A6500 ?’ is closed to new replies.