Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Sonos or?
  • pandhandj

Morning All,

I’m toying with the idea of getting a Sonos system, as black friday is almost here.

Or is there a better option? Probably looking for the older Play One speaker, as i do not want voice operation.

maybe 2 speakers for 2 rooms, rather than pairing them…

Any advice gratefully accepted, cheers,

paul

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

I bought a couple of Sonos Play 1 speakers for Christmas a 2017. They’ve been good, I’d buy again. I’m not exactly an audiophile but the sound quality is plenty good for us and I really wouldn’t want more oomph in a house with neighbours. The default EQ settings are very bass heavy, the listening enjoyment improved once I adjsuted those. They’re quite solid and they have survived getting knocked about by the kids.

We normally have them in seperate rooms but occasionally I put them in the same room. It takes seconds to set them up as a pair, or seperately so it’s easy to move them around.

IME Sonos works seamlessly direct from Spotify and Googleplay. Less so from Amazon. The Spotify app is OK, it’s much imprpoved in the 2 years we’ve had it.

Aye, play1 here too, bloody brilliant.

No doubt some cardiganed audiophile will be on in a bit saying we’re all philistines mind….

surfer

I have the Bose Soundtouch 10 (x 2) has all the same features and sounds great. Think the units are bigger than the Sonos. Love mine. Brother has the Sonos and loves that so not sure how they compare on price

JackHammer

I have a play 3 and play 1. They rely on you having active subscriptions to spotify etc. to use the services. What I expected was to be able to “cast” from apps to the speaker, works for spotify and amazon music. For podcasts I have to go in from Sonos app and find the physical files on my phone and play them like that.

I’m not an audiophile, but the music sounds good and goes way louder than I’ve dared turn it up to.

I haven’t tried any competitors, but I bet there are probably better ways of doing it. Than Sonos’ seemingly closed, unless you’re paying big bucks subscriptions.

JackHammer

Oh and I did try and set up an audio library from my PC hardrive to the speakers, but it would always error and die. So i gave up. Might be better now?

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

if its the multiroom feature youre after (paired or not paired) then yamaha do their own version, MusicCast if youre interested in other options too. id guess it would be cheaper, and maybe even better quality, altho that is just me thinking thats what i read on here on a previous thread.

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

I have a 3 which is now about 2-3 years old. I find it quite glitchy now. It often needs rebooting to find Wi-Fi if I haven’t used it for a few days. The Sonos app isn’t great and whilst Spotify worked well with it, I have recently moved ot Apple music and it doesn’t work nearly as well (I can’t play directly from Apple Music).

I tend to use my bluetooth speak now rather than faff around trying to get the Sonos to work.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

We have three Play 1s, very impressed by them. Spotify works 10x better with them than the actual Sonos App, which is very flaky (on iOS).

petec

I’ve got a few Google home thingies, and the Google home max is superb. On a par with a sonos 5. So quite big, but the sound is incredibly impressive.

Pair up a couple for some decent sound. Reduced this week, obv

or the alternative is those new Ikea sonos light things. Get some soft moody lighting with a decent speaker thrown in.

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

I’m toying with the idea of getting a Sonos system, as black friday is almost here.

I had an email from Sonos promoting there black friday sale, except for when I looked the had the prices listed of the Sonos one as higher than it has been nearly all year! Nearly all year they’ve been priced around £179 with a two pack for £350, looking at the email they are now £199 and £398 for a two pack! I expect the price cut will be down to the previous levels!

Aside from that, my friends works really well, even with an iPhone and Apple Music, when I’m a richer will be picking up a couple of Sonos ones for the home.

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

@JackHammer : Oh and I did try and set up an audio library from my PC hardrive to the speakers, but it would always error and die. So i gave up. Might be better now?

This may have been down to Windows turning off support for SMB v1 (a file sharing protocol) which older Sonos speakers used. This should now be resolved (switched to use HTTP) so worth giving it another try…

I’ve had Sonos speakers for over a decade and think they’re great for what I need (ie. music around the house). However, recently I’ve been a bit concerned about the potential for ‘planned obsolescence’ though.. they’ve been running a ‘Trade Up’ program to give you a discount off new speakers in exchange for basically ‘bricking’ old speakers. At the point where this becomes obligatory I’ll be looking elsewhere..

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

However, recently I’ve been a bit concerned about the potential for ‘planned obsolescence’ though.. they’ve been running a ‘Trade Up’ program to give you a discount off new speakers in exchange for basically ‘bricking’ old speakers. At the point where this becomes obligatory I’ll be looking elsewhere..

There must be an Open Source project somewhere for a way to control them without using their app….

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

IVE GOT A PLAY 1 AN PLAY 3.
    i would happily swap for the equivalent google product.

you need solid wifi throughout the house (i use the repeaters) and i cast direct from google play music. this works well. Navigating a service on the sonos app is painful but the system more responsive.

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

Still really happy with mine. If you’re Apple-inclined then the One is worth going for just for Airplay2 support (quickly streaming to it without using the Sonos app) – the mic is switchable from a button on the top, and ours is almost always off.

We don’t do much across multiple rooms but have a few grouped in the kitchen/living/dining room – I really like being able to have music in there without it blasting in one corner and quiet in the other.

I used to find podcast playback irritating – particularly getting home with one part-listened and wanting to pick it up while I’m cooking dinner. Switched to Pocket Casts, which is a great player anyway, but has a streaming service for Sonos which is ace.

Competitors seem to have gone through endless (usually incompatible with each other) iterations, while the secondhand ZP100 I have that’s now over a decade old is still playing nicely with everything else.

Ikea also do a more regular bookshelf-shaped Sonos speaker (well sized to sit in an Expedit/Kallax unit) as well as the odd lamp one. Will probably end up with a couple next time I go.

Premier Icon willard
    Subscriber

Uhuh… I think that exact scenario is what people want for all cloud-connected devices. It never happens.

Companies want you in their ecosystem and don’t want you to leave. Stuff might still work, but they want you to buy new.

Now, where’s my tinfoil hat?

The sound quality is good for what they are, just be aware you can’t stream from your own music collection anymore – online music services or nothing…

sharkbait

I’ve got a pair of Play 1s in the kitchen, a Play 3 in the bedroom and a soundbar with Play 1 rear speakers setup in the lounge for the TV – so you could say that we’re pretty big Sonos fans
    For us it works great. I love the fact you can set alarms so it works as an alarm clock in the bedroom and that music is always playing when the girls get back from school. We’re big into Spotify also so the excellent integration with this is good.
    Alexa integration is good and MrsSB loves the ability to tell it to play ‘whatever’ and it starts playing in the kitchen.
    I’m sure you can get better sound quality but you’d probably have to spend a lot more and then you might lose functionality – anyway for us the quality is absolutely more than good enough.

toby1

I had a Play 3 for a few months, I had endless connection problems via the app on Android, I ended up taking it back. It would be playing so clearly connected to the wifi, but the Sonos app would deny there was anything there at all.

Currently using Yamaha MusicCast, and can’t say I’d recommend that above the Sonos either to be honest. I have trouble connecting to it sometimes, I have an amp that has it built in which since starting to use MusicCast you have to power it up, then turn it off and on again before you can get any sound from it for AV use.

Overall I don’t think the streaming music answer is there yet, although I know lots of people use Sonos, I can only assume they have better luck than me! The app is one of the worst UIs I ever used!

sharkbait

The sound quality is good for what they are, just be aware you can’t stream from your own music collection anymore – online music services or nothing…

Well according to this article (and many others) it would seem that you can.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Yes you can, using their App or Spotify…..

Premier Icon wobbliscott
    Subscriber

Eu are no longer the only game in town but are still up there. I’ve got a :1 and a ONE so one of them has Alexa and the problem is you can’t connect as a stereo pair, which is a PITa. You can play your own music collection though.

The self styled audiophiles will never be satisfied with anything other than a ‘proper’ Audiophile set up so ignore them. The reality is they are chuffing great sound quality (not the best in the world but an easy 8/10), simple installation, easy to use, configurable.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

I was listening to my own stored music just this morning, so it does work. Spotify free now works too which is nice.  I have 2 x Play 1 and an old Play 5, never had an issue with any of it – I do have pretty good WiFi all over the house though.

schrickvr6

Given the price I’ve been looking at one of these or the smaller 100, does anyone have any experience? https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/wireless-speakers/air-200

Premier Icon pedlad
    Subscriber

Yes very much like Sonos on the whole. Amongst others we’ve a Large Kitchen diner with a 2 wall mounted play 1 + sub set-up which sounds v good although you have to slightly dial the bass back from the trueplay setting it creates.

Agree that the sonos app is not as good as controlling playback from as the Spotify app.

We have an intermittent problem that sometimes not all rooms display on the sonos app, or the playback option from spotify doesn’t appear. We have a couple of powerline repeaters that are paired to work with the same password but think it must be them causing the issue…any solutions gratefully received!

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

We have an intermittent problem that sometimes not all rooms display on the sonos app, or the playback option from spotify doesn’t appear.

I get that, sometimes a speaker just vanishes and then re-appears normally after killing the Sonos App and restarting it.

Generally it’s pretty reliable though (via Spotify), the Sonos App seems to play ok for a few tracks then get confused and starts skipping tracks or just stops playing. I only use the Sonos App when the wife has borrowed the Spotify account.

Sharkbait: I should have been more clear. You can still stream from NAS, but not from your collection stored on your iPhone/iPad from the SONOS app. I think it still exists in Android, not sure?

I suppose Airplay2 solves a lot of this, not as cleanly in my opinion, but only if you have the latest speakers (which the OP will have I suppose).

Listening to my Play1 now. Had it a few years and think it’s ace and after a few early clitches it’s been faultless. We use it via the Sonos ap usually with either Spotify or Radioplayer.

piha

I have Sonos and I’ve been adding bits and pieces over the last few years, so I now have quite a collection. And that’s the problem, a Sonos addiction becomes very expensive! I have been very happy with mine and it has worked well but I found my set up only became great when I introduced the rather expensive sub.

I’m no audiophile but my Sonos set up sounds great and I would happily recommend Sonos.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

I bought the base level speakers to stream direct from my iPad -I don’t want a subscription service, you can no longer do this so a waste of money. Also got sick of the constant system updates that had to be done, it not working well with my phone and one speaker constantly dropping out. It’s not cheap and I expected it to work first time every time which it seldom did.

pandhandj

Thanks all! I think I will treat myself!!!

If anyone sees a good deal, could you let me know?

Thanks in advance!

sharkbait

Also got sick of the constant system updates that had to be done

Did you not tick the box in the app that lets the speaks go off and update themselves in the middle of the night? I’ve not had to do an update manually for about 2 years!

OP – I had an email this morning stating that the Sonos BF deals start at 9am on the web site. Buying direct from them is good as you 30 days free returns if it turns out that Sonos isn’t for you.

Premier Icon mickyfinn
    Subscriber

Ah a Sonos thread excellent 🙂
    Works in every room of my house, supports multiple Spotify subs so wife and kids don’t pollute mine with their crap. So simple my Wife can use it without asking me.
    Airplay support is excellent if you have recent speakers, if you don’t adding one new speaker (a one SL for example) will allow you to group and airplay to all in the group.
    Constant updates? Nope three this year all done overnight without bothering me.
    Their support when I had alarm issues was excellent. I contacted via Twitter (after submitting a diagnostic dump from the app) and had a response with a credible (so far it appears to be the root cause) resolution in 40 minutes, no first-line have you turned it off and on again bollocks.

And according to this article
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90434720/your-sonos-speaker-might-be-the-most-eco-friendly-device-you-own
    planned obsolescence isn’t really a thing for them as 93% of everything (according to their stats) they’ve ever sold is still in use.!

Premier Icon llama
    Subscriber

Got a sonos habit. Oldest is a 5 which I think is 4 years old. Still solid despite surviving a few teenager parties at full volume.

I think they are great. But there are some downsides:

There was issues with streaming BBC stations, these are now resolved, but occasionally you get problems. This is annoying as the stream does not come direct from the BBC so sonos blame their provider.

If you use spotify you occasionally find that tracks on the regular spotify client are not available on sonos. I assume this is related to some rights issues, and again, down to the people supplying the stream to sonos.

Had some issues with the controller accessing the devices via certain access points connected on powerline ethernet. Got a mesh network now and all is fine.

Premier Icon pedlad
    Subscriber

Had some issues with the controller accessing the devices via certain access points connected on powerline ethernet. Got a mesh network now and all is fine.

I thought that might be the response and will consider if prices in jan sales are good, unless someone has experience of doing something that fixes it via the powerlines?

plumber

We bought a beam for the TV then shortly after 2 play 1s to form a 5.0 for the TV

Great for films etc

but more often we are using it for music these days which I think sounds pretty good

We have amazon which my mrs has a play list on and I stream from my iPhone

Never had a single problem

johndoh

At home we bought an Amazon Echo and loved the convenience of it. Then I bought a Sonos One (gen 2) for the office and the sound is so much better and I subsequently upgraded to one for home too.

I don’t see why anyone would want one specifically without voice activation though as it makes is so much more convenient (and it is a very quick button press to switch it off if desired).

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I don’t see why anyone would want one specifically without voice activation though as it makes is so much more convenient (and it is a very quick button press to switch it off if desired).

This is why….

Premier Icon eskay
    Subscriber

Bookmarked

Was mentioned above, I can heartily recommend the Yamaha MusicCast family. We’ve got a MusicCast AV receiver for the living room, a WX-010 standalone speaker in the kitchen and a WXAD-10 smartbox add-on thing for a basic hifi setup in the snug. Everything just works, sound quality is really good, you can link as many components as you want to the one source – I like this particularly if we’re watching something while I’m cooking tea, I can just link the AV receiver to the kitchen speaker and at least hear what’s going on. I think it talks quite well with Google/Amazon/Apple assistants too, although I’ve not really bothered with that side of things.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.