Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Songs you hated at the time but now realise how good they are
  • Houns

For me? This

Wasn’t my thing back in the day as all the “kevs” listened to it in their Nova SRi’s, but now I can’t help but want to dance to it

pictonroad

If you like that, this is absolutely brilliant.

Houns

Yup, been watching that

Moe

nearly every song Madness did, I was into heavy rock at the time but was fairly diverse in my tastes but the two tone / ska thing did nothing for me! Now though I can appreciate the lyrics especially.

nbt

I too was a massive rock fan, so more or less every non-rock tune of my youth qualifies – but I held an espicial dislike of “indie” music, and now think Fools Gold may be one of the greatest songs ever recorded

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Macarena. Laughed at it.
    Then I went on a late night horseride under a full moon down the beach to a river bay in the caribbean where I was taught the moves at a midnight party by a local. Changed my mind somewhat.

slowoldman

Any Tamla Motown track. Hated that stuff when I was at school. I have to admit now they were brilliant as were the singers and the amazing session musicians.

Oh and Bob Dylan.

trademark
    Free Member

Brian Ferry/Roxy Music and Motown, especially The Three Degrees.

whitestone
    Free Member

I really didn’t “get” Jimi Hendrix until I very belatedly saw the Woodstock film with him playing The Star Spangled Banner then it all clicked.

johndrummer
    Free Member

ABBA. Hated them at the time, but by god do they stick in the mind

Pigface
    Free Member

Chic all of it. Now love Bernard Edwards lines and Rogers is a genius.

mst
    Free Member

+1 for fools gold

theotherjonv

Not a song but an artist – Bruce Springsteen.

I was aware of some of his stuff when I was younger but I had the impression it was ‘Dad rock’ and at the time I became musically aware, I was into Indie and Goth and he was releasing stuff like Born in the USA that really didn’t inspire me.

It was only when Clarence Clemons died and so many things were written and said about him and Springsteen that i wondered if I’d been mistaken. And while I still wouldn’t say i’m an afficionado or even a fan, Born to Run (the album) is a regular on my music player and songs like Jungleland can now be appreciated as proper multilayered musical poetry.

twonks

I hated every Oasis and Blur song back in the day.

Now quite like most Oasis songs, even if the brothers are a bit OTT.

Still don’t like blur or pretty much anything Damon Allbum  is involved in, although appreciate his talent.

CountZero

Born to Run (the album) is a regular on my music player and songs like Jungleland can now be appreciated as proper multilayered musical poetry.

I have to say, I lost interest after Born In The USA, but Springsteen’s first three albums are just superb poetic lyric writing, Greetings From Asbury Park, New Jersey, and The Wild, The Innocent and the East Street Shuffle are two of my all-time favourites, along with Born to Run. From then on he changed his style of writing, and I just couldn’t get into it, for some reason.

ABBA were another band who, while I could appreciate their way with a catchy pop choon, I pretty much dismissed, but then I heard one of their last recordings, The Day Before You Came, which completely changed my opinion, it’s a really great piece of song writing, in fact their later recordings are much more melancholy, and Cassandra, Our Last Summer, and When All Is Said And Done are as good as anything out there. The ABBA Gold Vol 2 collection is brilliant, it took me a long time to work that out!

33tango

Anything by Nirvana. At the time I was too into dance music and only “discovered” them about 10 years ago :/

antigee

quite a lot of songs I dismissed and hated in my youth  I now realised are well crafted (pop) songs but I still hate quite a lot of them and the only difference is I now hate myself for appreciating the effort to put together a “good” song that I hated at the time – clever bastards

here’s my actual contribution WTF a song about that there London by two NME/MM (?)writers ….

and Mark Bolan

SaxonRider

I agree with you, @theotherjonv. Springsteen is someone I only started to like in the last 15 years. I think it’s because I saw him on a video playing with Orbison, and thought, “wow, he seems like such a humble guy and great musician”. Now, his stuff is on regular rotation on my various playlists.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Songs you hated at the time but now realise how good they are’ is closed to new replies.