Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Songs that are only good because of who sings them
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I dug out an old Pink Floyd CD the other day. It was a compilation one with a mix of their different hits. I listened to Crazy Diamond and thought it was great so played it again straight away.

I got home before the intro had finished and I started to think would it be acceptable to have an 8 minute intro and a record by Girls Aloud or Snow Patrol?

I listened dispassionately to it again and the intro does drag a bit. Is it only ‘great’ because Pink Floyd recorded it?

I am sure this applies to other songs and bands. Which songs do you rate as great songs that are only great because of the people playing/singing them?

surfer
    Free Member

Macarthur park, sung by Donna Summer. Not the original but I find the hairs standing up on the back of my neck because of her voice, then realise she is singing about cakes left in the rain!

conkerman
    Free Member

Pfft. 8 minutes, a mere Limerick 🙂

25 minutes or bust for me 🙂

Things were different back then, it was OK for bands to experiment. The closest thing nowadays are probably radiohead, but they are really, really crap. (Takes Cover)

Conks

IHN

Only Frank Sinatra can sing My Way.

Only Elvis can sing Suspicious Minds.

anagallis_arvensis

I walk the line JR Cash

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Songs that are only good because of who sings them’ is closed to new replies.